Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-24T14:21:02Z by JoeMorganNTST
MFXX_Srinivasa_Reddy
34 Posts

Pinned topic Need Conceptual understanding on WSP

‏2013-04-24T07:32:16Z |

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand the conceptual knowledge behind WSP so could someone clarify my doubts.

For example Application A and B are interacting using SOAP where A is service provider and is service consumer.In application A datapower is used

1. Here do we need to create proxy for all exposed services by A or we can also create proxy for consumed services for A.How it will be?

Thanks in advance

Sri

• JoeMorganNTST
    JoeMorganNTST
    427 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need Conceptual understanding on WSP

‏2013-04-24T14:21:02Z  

You can do either, depending upon your need.  I would create a proxy for consumed services in A.  You either (in order of my personal preference) subscribe to the WSDL if it is exposed through a repository like WSRR or UDDI, or point DataPower directly at application A's WSDL, or load the WSDL locally on the appliance.

Once done, the WSP will direct you to create, if needed, and assign one or more front side handlers for the service.  Typically you only need one.   You even have the option to change the client-facing URI, which gives you the ability to hide the actual URI or simplify it.  You can also direct how the WSDL will be published for the benefit of the client.  You'd generally want to do this so any WSDL requests by Application B are directed right at DataPower and not something else, like the actual back end service.  If you change the URI on the front side handler, you'd certainly want to change the way it is published,  You do this by un-checking the "Use Local" checkbox and then enter the protocol, dns name, port and URI for the proxied service.

Then, go to the Policy tab and open up the tree of services.  Next to the services you'll see a set of green check boxes.  For each service you want to "hide", click on those check-boxes and choose to Disable and Not Publish the service.  This is what allows you to proxy ONLY consumed services, AND, when the WSDL is exposed by DataPower, it will appear those services you have not published don't even exist.

There is way more you can do, but this is the fundamentals of how to solve what you're trying to do.

Get very familiar with the Web Service Proxy.  It is the Grand-Master of Web Service security, validation, and handling within DataPower.

• JoeMorganNTST
    JoeMorganNTST
    427 Posts

Re: Need Conceptual understanding on WSP

‏2013-04-24T14:21:02Z  

You can do either, depending upon your need.  I would create a proxy for consumed services in A.  You either (in order of my personal preference) subscribe to the WSDL if it is exposed through a repository like WSRR or UDDI, or point DataPower directly at application A's WSDL, or load the WSDL locally on the appliance.

Once done, the WSP will direct you to create, if needed, and assign one or more front side handlers for the service.  Typically you only need one.   You even have the option to change the client-facing URI, which gives you the ability to hide the actual URI or simplify it.  You can also direct how the WSDL will be published for the benefit of the client.  You'd generally want to do this so any WSDL requests by Application B are directed right at DataPower and not something else, like the actual back end service.  If you change the URI on the front side handler, you'd certainly want to change the way it is published,  You do this by un-checking the "Use Local" checkbox and then enter the protocol, dns name, port and URI for the proxied service.

Then, go to the Policy tab and open up the tree of services.  Next to the services you'll see a set of green check boxes.  For each service you want to "hide", click on those check-boxes and choose to Disable and Not Publish the service.  This is what allows you to proxy ONLY consumed services, AND, when the WSDL is exposed by DataPower, it will appear those services you have not published don't even exist.

There is way more you can do, but this is the fundamentals of how to solve what you're trying to do.

Get very familiar with the Web Service Proxy.  It is the Grand-Master of Web Service security, validation, and handling within DataPower.