IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on January 2, 2020. This forum will no longer be available unless an extension has been requested. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-11-28T18:53:58Z by BruceJMacIsaac
MKSC
MKSC
3 Posts

Pinned topic Use of External ID in RMC editor

‏2018-11-22T11:48:01Z |

I am seeing an option to show the external ID fields in the editor. When checked with the RMC help documentation, I found the field is used to display a second name (within parenthesis) in addition the presentation name.

I am wondering if "External ID" field has any specific other uses, other than just displaying as a second name. And, what is the purpose of displaying a second name in addition to the presentation name. I am just curious to understand, if this field values can be effectively used to build any other functionality.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.

• BruceJMacIsaac
    BruceJMacIsaac
    41 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Use of External ID in RMC editor

‏2018-11-28T18:53:58Z  

I could be wrong, but I believe the origin of this attribute was to support the case where a consulting company had several  work products with the same name, but were in fact different.   This external ID helped distinguish them.

That said, having an external ID can be useful when a method element has supporting information in another repository.  One customer used the external ID to pull templates and examples out of a document repository (they created a custom skin and added some javascript for this).   That way new templates and examples could be added without having to make changes in RMC.

Note that the external ID is visible in editors or not, depending on the preference setting "Show External ID fields in editors".

• BruceJMacIsaac
    BruceJMacIsaac
    41 Posts

Re: Use of External ID in RMC editor

‏2018-11-28T18:53:58Z  

I could be wrong, but I believe the origin of this attribute was to support the case where a consulting company had several  work products with the same name, but were in fact different.   This external ID helped distinguish them.

That said, having an external ID can be useful when a method element has supporting information in another repository.  One customer used the external ID to pull templates and examples out of a document repository (they created a custom skin and added some javascript for this).   That way new templates and examples could be added without having to make changes in RMC.

Note that the external ID is visible in editors or not, depending on the preference setting "Show External ID fields in editors".