Topic
  • 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-26T16:50:49Z by otc
otc
otc
3 Posts

Pinned topic IBM customized version of ESXi 5.5 release date?

‏2013-09-29T06:03:22Z |

I am installing ESXi 5.1 update 1 when ESXi 5.5 is release.

I tried doing a upgrade from the customize IBM OEM 5.1 U1 using the VMware version I think the drivers were not port over.

When will the IBM customized ESXi 5.5 version be release?

As this is a new implementation, I would like to install right the beginning rather that do a upgrade when it goes production.

Btw, after I used the IBM customized installer, for future updates can I use the VMware download patches?

Thanks

• DaveQ
    DaveQ
    140 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM customized version of ESXi 5.5 release date?

‏2013-11-22T16:11:42Z  

Hi All,

I spoke with an IBM rep today who says the target release date is Nov 22nd but could be up to a week or so before showing up for download.

The IBM customized vSphere 5.5 image shows up on the page's Download images drop-down list as of this morning.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/index.html

• GFKK
    GFKK
    1 Post

‏2013-10-15T18:41:30Z  
    This reply was deleted by youngec 2013-11-06T02:45:35Z.

me too

• FrankBalmer
    FrankBalmer
    1 Post

‏2013-10-17T15:38:52Z  

me too

• dadthefixer
    dadthefixer
    2 Posts

‏2013-10-18T21:39:34Z  

Waiting patiently.....Pretty please?

• otc
    otc
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-25T03:18:16Z  

As I cannot wait, I have installed the vanilla version from VMware.

IBM x3750 M4 come installed with Brocade HBA.

VMware 5.5 don't come with Brocade HBA driver (Only Emulex and Qlogic).

So I have to download the driver from Brocade support and install myself in order to detect the v7000 storwise SAN LUN.

In addition, I also download and installed the provider software for LSI and Brocade so that I can manage the LSI MegaRAID and Brocade adapters.

• DaveQ
    DaveQ
    140 Posts

‏2013-10-25T03:37:58Z  
    • otc
    • ‏2013-10-25T03:18:16Z

As I cannot wait, I have installed the vanilla version from VMware.

IBM x3750 M4 come installed with Brocade HBA.

VMware 5.5 don't come with Brocade HBA driver (Only Emulex and Qlogic).

So I have to download the driver from Brocade support and install myself in order to detect the v7000 storwise SAN LUN.

In addition, I also download and installed the provider software for LSI and Brocade so that I can manage the LSI MegaRAID and Brocade adapters.

The IBM customized release usually comes about a month or so after VMware's, based on prior experience with past updates. I would expect it any day now as we're just 2 days past the month mark for the native VMware release of 5.5.

If you want the IBM providers installed for complete hardware visibility, you need to use the IBM customized installer and subsequent provider updates. You may not be able to install the IBM providers after using the native VMware image for installation. 

Regarding future VMware updates, if you previously used the IBM customized installer for the server you intend on upgrading (such as 5.1 to 5.5), then you would need to use the IBM customized installer for a  5.5 in-place upgrade to maintain the same providers.

There will always be some devices for which drivers are not inboxed in any of the images (VMware's or a third party's), so you should always be prepared to have to load a driver if a device is newer than either release.

Regards,
    Dave

• spelham
    spelham
    1 Post

‏2013-11-11T16:32:58Z  

IBM any update on this?

I am on a customer site this week doing a new implementation of some x240 nodes, would much prefer to use the custom image of ESXi 5.5 than vanilla?

The frustrating thing is that Cisco, HP, Hitachi and even NEC all their custom images available for download :-(

Thanks,

• TDTemplin
    TDTemplin
    1 Post

‏2013-11-11T22:35:53Z  

IBM, please provide an answer!  I will also be at a customer site this week doing a new implementation of x3550 M4 server, and would prefer to use an IBM customized ESXi 5.5.   The delay this time around seems MUCH longer than previous releases of ESXi, especially when compared to the competition brands.

Thanks!

• Mobiman
    Mobiman
    1 Post

‏2013-11-14T12:12:00Z  

I`m interrested, too. Still waiting for something what other vendors provided in the past...

• dadthefixer
    dadthefixer
    2 Posts

‏2013-11-15T16:33:39Z  

Hmmm....perhaps it has to do with VMware ESXi 5.5 removing support for DB2?  I too am in the middle of a migration and the lack of information and timely release is frustrating.  Maybe it is time to start considering alternatives on our next hardware refresh?  Cisco UCS looks interesting....

IBM?  Anyone?

• DHusby
    DHusby
    6 Posts

‏2013-11-15T23:23:22Z  

Still nothing eh?

• TSingleton
    TSingleton
    1 Post

‏2013-11-21T18:25:03Z  

Hi All,

I spoke with an IBM rep today who says the target release date is Nov 22nd but could be up to a week or so before showing up for download.

• DaveQ
    DaveQ
    140 Posts

‏2013-11-22T16:11:42Z  

Hi All,

The IBM customized vSphere 5.5 image shows up on the page's Download images drop-down list as of this morning.

• otc
    otc
    3 Posts

‏2013-11-26T16:50:49Z  
    • DaveQ
    • ‏2013-11-22T16:11:42Z

Yes, finally the 5.5 customized image is released.

But since I have already installed the VMware 5.5 vanilla version due to customer timeline, can I just use the offline bundle to install the respective provider software? These include the IMM Providers, CBB Providers and Firmware Update Provider Broker? Anybody can advise?