Topic
  • 50 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-19T09:01:36Z by sekrbo
Richard_Good
Richard_Good
57 Posts

Pinned topic The New Forum is useless, I can't search and cant write a question! Brilliant, well done web developers

‏2013-04-24T15:26:51Z |
  • HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    25 Posts

Re: The New Forum is useless, I can't search and cant write a question! Brilliant, well done web developers

‏2013-04-24T15:45:51Z  

Richard, you should see an edit window somewhere below where you managed to put the title

There is a Search box at the top of the grey section for searching in This Forum

• Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    57 Posts

Re: The New Forum is useless, I can't search and cant write a question! Brilliant, well done web developers

‏2013-04-24T15:55:44Z  

Richard, you should see an edit window somewhere below where you managed to put the title

There is a Search box at the top of the grey section for searching in This Forum

Thanks for the reply,

I can see the Search entry and typed some things like "history" in it, this didn't work so I also tried the advanced options. I tried to return one of the posts below this one by typing in "History" as a test and got nothing, also searched on something generic like "filter" - no results and hence the exasperation ;-)

I can use this box to reply as you can no doubt tell!, but couldn't on creating a post, I am used to evaluating new software so I'm pretty sure I pressed all the right buttons (a few times!), my issues may be due to browser security settings which I cannot change. IBM should consider that a lot of their customers sit behind firewalls before moving to a different forum system with more bells and whistles. I think people like Mathias Mamsch have experienced similar things judging by his departure from these forums, the forum is next to useless from my work pc,  but I imagine if I go home and do the same thing it will work, but that is no good to me.

Richard

• Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-04-25T10:04:10Z  

Hello Richard

The forum depends extremely upon the browser and the set of java-script-permissions you have. If you are "local-admin" you can do something so that you are able to use that forum. But if you are not, you do not have any chance.

Furthermore this forum destroys code. You can post something and the script adds or removes newlines and removes whitespaces. The result is unreadable. And furthermore it is difiicult to find someones own posts because now they have been done by the sys admin. I can really understand Mathias leaving this forum. I've the same thougts.

For example: Mathias had written a tuturial about the handling of the memory leaks. Try to find it using the forum search. For me it seems to be impossible.

This forum is something which helps us to do our work. There is no reason for posting it in facebook to or Twitter or Dig or something else. But we need a help to post formatted code and we need as less java script as possible or good fall-backs.

And we need the "old content" and here I do not understand anything. IBM can really freeze the old forum into a static version so that you can go to the old content by old URLs, without any chance to give an answer. In this case am maximum of say 20 Posts of each forum has been redone in the new one. But you have the old posts using the known authors.

There is a lot which could be done better.

Best regards

Wolfgang

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    25 Posts

‏2013-04-25T10:39:22Z  

Hello Richard

The forum depends extremely upon the browser and the set of java-script-permissions you have. If you are "local-admin" you can do something so that you are able to use that forum. But if you are not, you do not have any chance.

Furthermore this forum destroys code. You can post something and the script adds or removes newlines and removes whitespaces. The result is unreadable. And furthermore it is difiicult to find someones own posts because now they have been done by the sys admin. I can really understand Mathias leaving this forum. I've the same thougts.

For example: Mathias had written a tuturial about the handling of the memory leaks. Try to find it using the forum search. For me it seems to be impossible.

This forum is something which helps us to do our work. There is no reason for posting it in facebook to or Twitter or Dig or something else. But we need a help to post formatted code and we need as less java script as possible or good fall-backs.

And we need the "old content" and here I do not understand anything. IBM can really freeze the old forum into a static version so that you can go to the old content by old URLs, without any chance to give an answer. In this case am maximum of say 20 Posts of each forum has been redone in the new one. But you have the old posts using the known authors.

There is a lot which could be done better.

Best regards

Wolfgang

There are a few issues here, some of which will be addressed in the next couple of weeks.

The issue of posts being credited to Admin is being looked at and should improve in a couple of weeks.

The search index takes a while to build, and I think is not yet complete, so searching should improve over the coming days.

This forum is now in IBM Connections and that gives us several options.  There is a Product and Systems Engineering group www.ibm.co/systems-community that can be used for additional content and community activity.  If the group here would prefer then we can set up either a requirements management or a DOORS specific community.  A community comes with the Wiki, Blog, Files, Forum (but these forums can be linked in with bookmarks), Events.  This would allow you to share code as files.

We use Connections internally in IBM and while it is not perfect, I find it incredibly useful, and personally I think the benefits outweigh the weaknesses.

If anyone is interested in creating a group for requirements management (I think that would be better than a narrow, DOORS group), to center our activity around then let me know and I will help out.  If as a group we think that making use of the even broader product and systems engineering group is better then again, I am more than happy to help out with organizing efforts in that direction.

• Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-04-25T10:58:24Z  

There are a few issues here, some of which will be addressed in the next couple of weeks.

The issue of posts being credited to Admin is being looked at and should improve in a couple of weeks.

The search index takes a while to build, and I think is not yet complete, so searching should improve over the coming days.

This forum is now in IBM Connections and that gives us several options.  There is a Product and Systems Engineering group www.ibm.co/systems-community that can be used for additional content and community activity.  If the group here would prefer then we can set up either a requirements management or a DOORS specific community.  A community comes with the Wiki, Blog, Files, Forum (but these forums can be linked in with bookmarks), Events.  This would allow you to share code as files.

We use Connections internally in IBM and while it is not perfect, I find it incredibly useful, and personally I think the benefits outweigh the weaknesses.

If anyone is interested in creating a group for requirements management (I think that would be better than a narrow, DOORS group), to center our activity around then let me know and I will help out.  If as a group we think that making use of the even broader product and systems engineering group is better then again, I am more than happy to help out with organizing efforts in that direction.

Ok, there is a reason and an explanation for everything, but actually, I've the following situations

a) in my Home-Office I've no doors but I can post (may be that this will change in some weeks)

b) in my Office I've doors but I cannot post

It may be a good idea that someone of ibm will have a short discussion whith some security admins of global player firms. May be that someone of the forum responsible ibm-members can learn something about internet security. It makes no sense that we discuss this topic because I'm not responsible for this and this ist not my task.

> There is a Product and Systems Engineering group

DXL is neither Product nor Systems Engenieering. Ok some of us have split their jobs and will do something in this area too. But DXL is a so called "programming language" which combines all disadvanages C, Basic and Perl by holding the comfort of Ada. This is only our witch kitchen for doing our work. That's all.

Updated on 2013-04-25T11:00:29Z at 2013-04-25T11:00:29Z by Wolfgang Uhr
  • Adamarla
    Adamarla
    75 Posts

‏2013-04-25T12:01:51Z  

This was a DXL forum not a DOORS forum, not a System Engineering forum. It should remain a DXL forum. It should allow us to post DXL Code.

• Mike Sava
    Mike Sava
    1 Post

‏2013-04-25T12:02:37Z  

Internally (in IBM) when we moved our forums to IBM Connections forums we had some of these growing pains.  There are a few positives that will come out of it hopefully.  The integration with the overall Communities, mobile apps that are very good (I hope dW enabled mobile..), tagging is better, search (after the index is complete) will give you better options like people and dates.  Attachments are also handled a bit better and it allows you to have more.

Granted there needs to be better grouping and ordering of the forum lists (alpha vs. last mod).  Our internal (IBM) experience was somewhat similar but I think now that people are getting used to how everything is tied together it has been much better.  Some UX updates that "were" in the works (I am not in that area so I don't know for sure where they stand) recently were quite nice as well.

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    25 Posts

‏2013-04-25T13:16:55Z  
    • Adamarla
    • ‏2013-04-25T12:01:51Z

This was a DXL forum not a DOORS forum, not a System Engineering forum. It should remain a DXL forum. It should allow us to post DXL Code.

Adam, this was and is a DXL forum.  My suggestion was not to somehow lose it in a broader subject, but to give it an umbrella group where more people might find it, and where the members of this forum might find other, related topics of interest, including the other existing DOORS forums.  Also to supplement it with additional capabilities and mechanisms for sharing information.

If the formatting of the posts is not working for posting DXL, there is the facility to Attach a file to a post which can be used for code.

• Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-04-25T13:19:01Z  

Adam, this was and is a DXL forum.  My suggestion was not to somehow lose it in a broader subject, but to give it an umbrella group where more people might find it, and where the members of this forum might find other, related topics of interest, including the other existing DOORS forums.  Also to supplement it with additional capabilities and mechanisms for sharing information.

If the formatting of the posts is not working for posting DXL, there is the facility to Attach a file to a post which can be used for code.

> If the formatting of the posts is not working for posting DXL, there is the facility to Attach a file to a post which can be used for code.

It does not work for VBA-Code either

• Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-04-25T13:39:26Z  
    • Mike Sava
    • ‏2013-04-25T12:02:37Z

Internally (in IBM) when we moved our forums to IBM Connections forums we had some of these growing pains.  There are a few positives that will come out of it hopefully.  The integration with the overall Communities, mobile apps that are very good (I hope dW enabled mobile..), tagging is better, search (after the index is complete) will give you better options like people and dates.  Attachments are also handled a bit better and it allows you to have more.

Granted there needs to be better grouping and ordering of the forum lists (alpha vs. last mod).  Our internal (IBM) experience was somewhat similar but I think now that people are getting used to how everything is tied together it has been much better.  Some UX updates that "were" in the works (I am not in that area so I don't know for sure where they stand) recently were quite nice as well.

> The integration with the overall Communities, mobile apps that are very good (I hope dW enabled mobile..)

In a small talk forum that may be a good solution. But no one of us is shopping anywhere in a pedestrian area of a city and simulaneously posting doors dxl questions. In this situation I need to ask someone for the size of some dressing part or its favourous color but nothing about the history data of a doors module.

Updated on 2013-04-25T14:24:10Z at 2013-04-25T14:24:10Z by Wolfgang Uhr
  • MichaelGeorg
    MichaelGeorg
    53 Posts

‏2013-04-30T11:37:00Z  

Also I don't like the harsh tone of many posts here and I know that changes do always provoke some kind of rejection I can only emphasize the functional critics about the new forum.

It is a mystery to me why a big company like IBM needs more than one week to get such a simple thing like a forum working correct again. Today still there are

• Old posts that can't be found with the search
    • Old posts that are created by some SystemAdmin
    • Workarounds needed to be able to write in the forum (Actually I need to reject the https mode in IE to be able to write this post :-) )

@HazelWoodcock: Can you give us any information about when the forum including search functionality will work again? If you are not able to provide an orderly working forum I think we need to start looking for some other place to exchange about DXL problems.

@WolfgangUhr: Mathias thread about memory leaks is available at: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014942467&ps=100

• MichaelGeorg
    MichaelGeorg
    53 Posts

‏2013-04-30T11:38:42Z  

Also I don't like the harsh tone of many posts here and I know that changes do always provoke some kind of rejection I can only emphasize the functional critics about the new forum.

It is a mystery to me why a big company like IBM needs more than one week to get such a simple thing like a forum working correct again. Today still there are

• Workarounds needed to be able to write in the forum (Actually I need to reject the https mode in IE to be able to write this post :-) )

@HazelWoodcock: Can you give us any information about when the forum including search functionality will work again? If you are not able to provide an orderly working forum I think we need to start looking for some other place to exchange about DXL problems.

@WolfgangUhr: Mathias thread about memory leaks is available at: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014942467&ps=100

Also really interesting where the third bullet point is located in my post above :-(

• Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-05-01T11:52:59Z  

Hello Michael

> @WolfgangUhr: Mathias thread about memory leaks is available at:

Thank you, but I've bookmarked this post. It was an example, because you cannot find it even you are searching for.

>  @HazelWoodcock: [...]

You have realized that she did not understand what we've said?

What did she post?

> Adam, this was and is a DXL forum.  My suggestion was not to somehow lose it in a broader subject, but to give it an umbrella group where more people might find it, and where the members of this forum might find other, related topics of interest, including the other existing DOORS forums.  

She really thinks that this is a little small talk about dxl.  The "new idea of this forum" is something like: Oh do you really know, yesterday I've written a script and a have used the command showDialog() once and release() twice. That was a long and interesting script.

> Also to supplement it with additional capabilities and mechanisms for sharing information. If the formatting of the posts is not working for posting DXL, there is the facility to Attach a file to a post which can be used for code.

That really says: Do want you want to du we do not solve any problem. We get no solution, the problem counts as "solved".

Best regards
    Wolfgang

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    25 Posts

‏2013-05-01T12:51:34Z  

Hello Michael

> @WolfgangUhr: Mathias thread about memory leaks is available at:

Thank you, but I've bookmarked this post. It was an example, because you cannot find it even you are searching for.

>  @HazelWoodcock: [...]

You have realized that she did not understand what we've said?

What did she post?

> Adam, this was and is a DXL forum.  My suggestion was not to somehow lose it in a broader subject, but to give it an umbrella group where more people might find it, and where the members of this forum might find other, related topics of interest, including the other existing DOORS forums.  

She really thinks that this is a little small talk about dxl.  The "new idea of this forum" is something like: Oh do you really know, yesterday I've written a script and a have used the command showDialog() once and release() twice. That was a long and interesting script.

> Also to supplement it with additional capabilities and mechanisms for sharing information. If the formatting of the posts is not working for posting DXL, there is the facility to Attach a file to a post which can be used for code.

That really says: Do want you want to du we do not solve any problem. We get no solution, the problem counts as "solved".

Best regards
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

I am under no illusion about the purpose of this forum, I have found it invaluable on many occasions to solve real business problems.  I do not, however, think that it should be in any way elitist or hard to find.

Most of the users of this forum are more than just coders, they are often database administrators with wide ranging responsibilities including advising on process.  Many of the users of this DXL group also contribute to the DOORS Administration forum, and to the DOORS General Discussion forum. 

We have a group that is focused on Systems Engineering, and as a large percentage of DOORS customer organizations are in the business of Systems Engineering, it would seem natural to direct traffic in both directions.  Making relevant information easier to find is my only goal in trying to connect these groups of individuals.

I understand that there are some issues with the transition to a new platform for this forum, and was trying to offer viable short term workarounds until the issues can be more formally resolved.  I have asked the developerWorks team to look specifically at this thread to understand the problems that people are seeing so that a solution can be found.  I unfortunately am not directly involved with that team, and am here in my capacity as a long-term DOORS user, occasional DXL user and Systems Engineer.

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    25 Posts

‏2013-05-01T13:01:50Z  

Michael,

I am not sure of the current progress on indexing for the search.  The known problems list here may help you, and if not there are links to a feedback form, or an email address for specific questions that you have.

This is the same platform that we use internally in IBM for our practitioner communities and I am confident that once we are through these teething troubles it will prove to be more than adequate for the job. 

• Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-05-01T13:41:19Z  

Wolfgang,

I am under no illusion about the purpose of this forum, I have found it invaluable on many occasions to solve real business problems.  I do not, however, think that it should be in any way elitist or hard to find.

Most of the users of this forum are more than just coders, they are often database administrators with wide ranging responsibilities including advising on process.  Many of the users of this DXL group also contribute to the DOORS Administration forum, and to the DOORS General Discussion forum. 

We have a group that is focused on Systems Engineering, and as a large percentage of DOORS customer organizations are in the business of Systems Engineering, it would seem natural to direct traffic in both directions.  Making relevant information easier to find is my only goal in trying to connect these groups of individuals.

I understand that there are some issues with the transition to a new platform for this forum, and was trying to offer viable short term workarounds until the issues can be more formally resolved.  I have asked the developerWorks team to look specifically at this thread to understand the problems that people are seeing so that a solution can be found.  I unfortunately am not directly involved with that team, and am here in my capacity as a long-term DOORS user, occasional DXL user and Systems Engineer.

Ok Hazel

> Most of the users of this forum are more than just coders, they are often database administrators with wide ranging responsibilities including advising on process.  

In fact we are reverse documentation developers. We try to find out how dxl works and guess the missing part(s) of the documentation. And in fact the new forum has destroyed the actual documentation of doors.

> I have asked the developerWorks team to look specifically at this thread to understand the problems that people are seeing so that a solution can be found.

1. Restore the old forum in a static form using the old urls. It isn't only the problem that you cannot find the posts. If you find them it is hard to read and it is possible that the code is damaged.
    2. Add the possibilitiy to post formatted code and don't touch the code with any program until you know what you are doing neither java-script nor php.
    3. Enable the possibility to post from behind a restricted internet access, that means: Enable to post without any java-script. All those gimmicks can use java-script. If there are not there, nobody misses them. But do not use java-script in the basic posting engine.

Best regards
    Wolfgang

• llandale
    llandale
    3010 Posts

‏2013-05-01T15:21:04Z  

Wolfgang,

I agree with the technical content of almost all of these complaints.  However, I disagree with the notion that we "deserve" anything.  Perhaps an analogy:  Some folks complain bitterly about bad service at a resturant; other folks just tip less and eventually don't come back.  It's nice to get good service, but you do not deserve it.

-Louie

However, these gosh-darn forsaken idiots don't have a readily available "formatting help for morons and old folks" link.   That just chaps my hide and the horse I rode in on.

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    25 Posts

‏2013-05-01T15:44:35Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2013-05-01T15:21:04Z

I agree with the technical content of almost all of these complaints.  However, I disagree with the notion that we "deserve" anything.  Perhaps an analogy:  Some folks complain bitterly about bad service at a resturant; other folks just tip less and eventually don't come back.  It's nice to get good service, but you do not deserve it.

-Louie

However, these gosh-darn forsaken idiots don't have a readily available "formatting help for morons and old folks" link.   That just chaps my hide and the horse I rode in on.

Louie, I will try to put together your formatting help, but I think perhaps a different name might be needed :-)

• Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-05-01T17:55:53Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2013-05-01T15:21:04Z

-Louie

Only for the records: I've never said that we deserve something. I've said that I'm thinking about to leave this forum and I've posted something about the reason. Actually for me it is difficult to

1. cut my internet connection
    2. go to my doors-dxl equipment
    3. send a code snippet to my private account
    4. cut the connection to the office system
    5. go to the forum
    6. post the snippet

I "deserve" nothing. The topic of the thread is not "We do not get what we deserve". The topic is "The forum is useless". 

Wolfgang

• JAntley
    JAntley
    4 Posts

‏2013-05-02T19:18:36Z  

Michael,

I am not sure of the current progress on indexing for the search.  The known problems list here may help you, and if not there are links to a feedback form, or an email address for specific questions that you have.

This is the same platform that we use internally in IBM for our practitioner communities and I am confident that once we are through these teething troubles it will prove to be more than adequate for the job. 

Hello everyone,

We understand and sympathize with everyone's frustration with the change in forum functionality.  developerWorks has done what it could to preserve as much information as possible through a very challenging software upgrade and a migration to a new hosting environment.  The previous forums were on legacy software that was no longer an option to use.  It is inevitable that there were functionality differences, and we are working to improve the matters we can control.

First, restoring developerWorks forums to the legacy software is not going to happen.

Secondly, regarding the post attribution problem, as the FAQ page that Hazel has referred to mentions, the legacy (third-party) forum software used profiles that were actually independent of those used by developerWorks Community.  When we migrated the forums to Connections forums, for each post, an attempt was made to find a unique developerWorks profile with matching credentials.  If no unique match could be found, a default profile was used instead.  This is not an attempt to steal anyone's identity or intellectual property, and the inability to search by post owner has been an unfortunate consequence.  However, we still have access to the original attributions, and at our earliest opportunity, we will be working to restore posts to their original owner, primarily for those with high post counts, and others upon request.  Please monitor the FAQ page at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/connect/ICv4upgrade for updates.

Third, I have word from the engineering team that a full site index has been completed, and will be deployed to the production site this weekend.  This should help somewhat with search issues.

Fourth, if someone would kindly point to examples of important, regularly consulted code posts or threads in this forum that came through the upgrade mangled, I will look into the situation and see if there is an easy solution for repairing them.  In the few threads in this forum that I looked at, the examples included white space and line breaks and appeared completely legible, owing tot the use of the "Formatted" option in the paragraph drop-down (to the left of the font selector).  I admit that I do not work with DOORS/DXL, though, so please educate me if this is not a general solution for creating new posts with DXL code examples.

Finally, we encourage everyone to channel their constructive criticism regarding desired features to talk2dw@us.ibm.com or as feature requests to the IBM Connections product development team.

Regards,

Jeff Antley

developerWorks Feedback Team

• Adamarla
    Adamarla
    75 Posts

‏2013-05-03T06:16:09Z  
    • JAntley
    • ‏2013-05-02T19:18:36Z

Hello everyone,

We understand and sympathize with everyone's frustration with the change in forum functionality.  developerWorks has done what it could to preserve as much information as possible through a very challenging software upgrade and a migration to a new hosting environment.  The previous forums were on legacy software that was no longer an option to use.  It is inevitable that there were functionality differences, and we are working to improve the matters we can control.

First, restoring developerWorks forums to the legacy software is not going to happen.

Secondly, regarding the post attribution problem, as the FAQ page that Hazel has referred to mentions, the legacy (third-party) forum software used profiles that were actually independent of those used by developerWorks Community.  When we migrated the forums to Connections forums, for each post, an attempt was made to find a unique developerWorks profile with matching credentials.  If no unique match could be found, a default profile was used instead.  This is not an attempt to steal anyone's identity or intellectual property, and the inability to search by post owner has been an unfortunate consequence.  However, we still have access to the original attributions, and at our earliest opportunity, we will be working to restore posts to their original owner, primarily for those with high post counts, and others upon request.  Please monitor the FAQ page at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/connect/ICv4upgrade for updates.

Third, I have word from the engineering team that a full site index has been completed, and will be deployed to the production site this weekend.  This should help somewhat with search issues.

Fourth, if someone would kindly point to examples of important, regularly consulted code posts or threads in this forum that came through the upgrade mangled, I will look into the situation and see if there is an easy solution for repairing them.  In the few threads in this forum that I looked at, the examples included white space and line breaks and appeared completely legible, owing tot the use of the "Formatted" option in the paragraph drop-down (to the left of the font selector).  I admit that I do not work with DOORS/DXL, though, so please educate me if this is not a general solution for creating new posts with DXL code examples.

Finally, we encourage everyone to channel their constructive criticism regarding desired features to talk2dw@us.ibm.com or as feature requests to the IBM Connections product development team.

Regards,

Jeff Antley

Well, I'm not sure if you want this posted here, or emailed to the address provided.

I wouldn't say that this thread is an example of 'important, regularly consulted code', but it seems fitting to demonstrate the problem.

The first post in that thread shows both 'fomatted' and unformatted code. Lines break in the wrong place and indentation is lost. Indentation is cosmetic, but the position of line breaks in dxl is critical to a working program.

The second post has a very simple example that no longer works because the position of the 'ack' keyword is now part of the preceeding comment.

//here is my code ack
    "This worked."

vs

//here is my code
    ack "This worked."

This has happened to most(all?) of the code examples, making them difficult to read and a pain to get working again - we must manually fix all the line breaks. In more complex code with functions, loops and conditionals, this is much worse.

I hope you can find a solution.

Updated on 2013-05-03T06:20:15Z at 2013-05-03T06:20:15Z by Adamarla
  • Adamarla
    Adamarla
    75 Posts

‏2013-05-03T06:25:50Z  
    • Adamarla
    • ‏2013-05-03T06:16:09Z

Well, I'm not sure if you want this posted here, or emailed to the address provided.

I wouldn't say that this thread is an example of 'important, regularly consulted code', but it seems fitting to demonstrate the problem.

The first post in that thread shows both 'fomatted' and unformatted code. Lines break in the wrong place and indentation is lost. Indentation is cosmetic, but the position of line breaks in dxl is critical to a working program.

The second post has a very simple example that no longer works because the position of the 'ack' keyword is now part of the preceeding comment.

//here is my code ack
    "This worked."

vs

//here is my code
    ack "This worked."

This has happened to most(all?) of the code examples, making them difficult to read and a pain to get working again - we must manually fix all the line breaks. In more complex code with functions, loops and conditionals, this is much worse.

I hope you can find a solution.

Whoa, I just had to repeatidly edit the previous post to get the two examples as I intended.

I set it to the 'formatted' style yet it originally displayed as this (fingers crossed):

Edit: The following formatting keeps changing everytime I come back to this thread, so it probably is wrong again and makes no sense! [ The code was all on one line ]

//here is my code ack
    "This worked."

vs

//here is my codeack 
    "This worked."

Updated on 2013-05-13T05:21:09Z at 2013-05-13T05:21:09Z by Adamarla
  • Wolfgang Uhr
    Wolfgang Uhr
    287 Posts

‏2013-05-03T08:06:02Z  
    • JAntley
    • ‏2013-05-02T19:18:36Z

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Jeff Antley

Hi

> First, restoring developerWorks forums to the legacy software is not going to happen.

In this case you are doing the nonsense work, not we. Sorry but if you want to keep your members busy it is your problem, not ours.

> This is not an attempt to steal anyone's identity or intellectual property, and the inability to search by post owner has been an unfortunate consequence.

That's not the thing I've been worried about. If you have a forum in which sbhupa posts everything - questions and answers - it is more a problem of the reputation of ibm. The first intention is allways: "Oh a nonense thread"

> I admit that I do not work with DOORS/DXL, though, so please educate me if this is not a general solution for creating new posts with DXL code examples.

There exists a set of plug-ins for different editors. Normally you can easily find them if you are searching in this forum. And actually - perhaps they do not work, noboddy knows.

> Fourth, if someone would kindly point to examples of important, regularly consulted code posts or threads in this forum that came through the upgrade mangled,

Are you asking us
    a) to ask our cost center responsible to pay for it and to subsidize an ibm-project?
    b) to do a paid job for ibm?
    c) to be a volunteer for an actually useless forum?
    d) to message an errorfull thread which we have randomly read?

Best regards
    Wolfgang

• llandale
    llandale
    3010 Posts

‏2013-05-03T16:33:52Z  

I think we need to remember that Miss Hazel is not the decision maker nor developer of the web site; she's a customer rep.

-Louie