Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-30T18:04:34Z by BrianSeklecki
hxman
hxman
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RHEL 5.7 and IBM Network Interfaces

‏2011-11-14T13:29:05Z |
 I am new to RHEL but have over 15 years of Solaris and AIX knowledge and starting to get up to speed with RHEL installs.

I recently installed RHEL 5.7 on an IBM JS23x blade and noticed I have 6 interfaces, but the blade only has 2 physical ports. I assume these are virtual interfaces. Can I get rid of them and just plumb the 2 standard interfaces?

What's the deal here?.. lol

Additional hardware setup:
Blade Center S
1 x Cisco 3012
6 x JS23x Blades
2 x SAS I/O Cards

I have installed the OS on 2 blades but can't seem to get anywhere with a network connection. 
On another blade with RHEL  6.1 I have no problems. Any tips on what I missed???

Thanks 
Updated on 2012-01-30T18:04:34Z at 2012-01-30T18:04:34Z by BrianSeklecki
  • willschm
    willschm
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RHEL 5.7 and IBM Network Interfaces

‏2011-11-15T01:19:57Z  in response to hxman
    I do not have a js23 in front of me to compare.   A short flurry of questions, something may pop out as important. 

>> I recently installed RHEL 5.7 on an IBM JS23x blade and noticed I have 6 interfaces, but the blade only has 2 physical
    >> ports. I assume these are virtual interfaces. Can I get rid of them and just plumb the 2 standard interfaces?

Depends on where/why  they came from.  I'd expect to see just a couple interfaces, but don't have a js23 to directly compare against.   :-)    Do you possibly have IVM on the blade(s)?

Does 'ifconfig -a' show any RX or TX packet counts for the interfaces you are seeing? 

does 'lsmod' show the 'ehea' module loaded? 

From the bladecenter management module, make sure that "I/O Module Tasks"->"Admin/Power/restart"->"External Ports" are enabled.   -- This seems less likely to be the case due to having a rhel6.1 blade installed that is working, but since you are seeing multiple interfaces, it *might* be that an interface on the blade is (hardware-wise) mapped to an I/O module that is not installed or has its ports disabled.

see also:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bladectr/documentation/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.bladecenter.js23.doc/dw1il_t_installing_os.html
    • hxman
      hxman
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T02:33:07Z  in response to willschm
       How do I check for IVM?

ifconfig for eth0 shows :
      TX packet = 38
      RX packet = 0

lsmod for ehea = yes

external port is enabled.... Like I said the blade with RHEL 6.1 works and my head is hurting as to why these other RHEL 5.7 are not........
      • hxman
        hxman
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T16:34:35Z  in response to hxman
         So to verify, I installed RHEL 6.1 on this suspect balde and it works. So it must be some ethernet driver in 5.7 maybe????? Not sure.......
        • willschm
          willschm
          45 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-15T17:34:25Z  in response to hxman
           >  So to verify, I installed RHEL 6.1 on this suspect balde and it works. So it must be some ethernet driver in 5.7 maybe????? Not sure.......

So that does seem to eliminate hardware issues.   :-)

I would collect the interface info from the working rhel6.1 install, and compare that with what you see on the rhel5.7.    Specifically, 
                    -  the MAC addr of the active interface, via 'ifconfig';
                    - the device driver controlling the interface.  ideally this is 'dmesg | grep eth0'. 

Then compare with the interfaces you see on the rhel5.7 install, and making sure the module is loaded and that the same interfaces are there.  (ifconfig -a ; look for the matching MAC/HWaddr entry)
          • BrianSeklecki
            BrianSeklecki
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-30T18:04:34Z  in response to willschm
            Find the differences between the kernel boot message and ethtool(1) output:

---

Compare (using diff -u) the different between:

% dmesg > dmesg5.7
            % dmesg > dmesg6.1
            [ scp / usb mount ]
            % diff -u dmesg6.7 dmesg5.7

rhel5.7 % ethtool eth0 > ethtool5.7
            rhel6.1 % ethtool eth0 > ethtool6.1
             [ scp / usb mount ]
            % diff -u ethtool5.7 ethtool6.1

Paste results