Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-27T14:50:49Z by Chief_Max
Chief_Max
Chief_Max
22 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Who is using Configuration Items?

‏2013-08-23T13:18:32Z |

We're considering setting up configuration items for Self Service offerings and Change Management items in the future. Already using Asset Management and Service Request features in Maximo. We want to be able to charge another department for the service rendered, so Charge-back, specifically, may be easier if we configure the Service as a CI.

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with setting up Configuration Items, because I'm trying to figure out where to get started. It seems complicated, so is it worth the effort?

What tips do others have for setting up Configuration Items?

-Greg

Updated on 2013-09-16T12:42:23Z at 2013-09-16T12:42:23Z by Chief_Max
  • Chief_Max
    Chief_Max
    22 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Help with Configuration Items

‏2013-09-10T18:45:39Z  in response to Chief_Max

I see many CIs already built into the 7.5.1 release.

• Chief_Max
    Chief_Max
    22 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Who is using Configuration Items?

‏2013-09-16T12:59:29Z  in response to Chief_Max

I'm not really "getting" how to set up the relationships with the CIs. The SmartCloud Control Desk 7.5.1 provides many CIs, but we are using more mobile technology - like everyone - and I don't see a CI under which to place an iphone or tablet/iPad.

An example of something someone else has done would be helpful.

Thanks,

Greg

• spoirier
      spoirier
      281 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-26T21:48:11Z  in response to Chief_Max

Hi Greg,

You could setup a CI as a service and then use relationships to connect your other CI's to your service. The other CI's could be servers, DB, middleware, other etc.

Try to think of your service and what is required to keep it running.

For example, if your service requries a database (DB) and without it the serviec cannot run / exist, your lreationship should reflect that. You might decode to call the relationship REQUIRES or other.

Yes, the demo data in 7.5.1 has a few CI samples that give you some ideas, some simple some complexe. If you have only a few CI's then you can populate them manually. In my current mandate we have over 100K but the relationships need to be worked on.

• Chief_Max
        Chief_Max
        22 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-27T14:50:49Z  in response to spoirier

Good information - Thanks!

-Greg