Has anyone been able to successfully edit the com.bigfix.BESAgent.plist file?
I am attempting to edit the file to change a custom "owner" field that was initially created via the console as Master Operator, but once I start the BESAgent back up, the changes are immediately replaced by the original information. The purpose of this is to allow non Master Console Operators (Local IT Support Personnel) to be able to reassign ownership of Macs so the computers are visible to them in the console for managing.
Here are the sequence of commands I have been using.
- sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/BESAgentDaemon.plist
- ps -ef | grep BESAgent
- sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Delete :Settings:Client:Owner' /Library/Preferences/com.bigfix.BESAgent.plist
- sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :Settings:Client:Owner:Date date Tue Jun 10 08:54:04 EDT 2014" /Library/Preferences/com.bigfix.BESAgent.plist
- sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :Settings:Client:Owner:Value string fubar" /Library/Preferences/com.bigfix.BESAgent.plist
- sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/BESAgentDaemon.plist
If I disable the LaunchDaemon process and reboot the Mac, I can then successfully use the above commands to change the owner field. Having the Local IT Support run a script, reboot the workstation, then run a second script should be unnecessary. A single script should be able to perform the action.
I have also manually killed the BESClientUI.app and then the BESAgent processes with extreme prejudice ( -9 ) before making the .plist file changes, but that didn't work either.