Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-01-12T07:18:35Z by rajeshRJ
sgerbec
sgerbec
2 Posts

Pinned topic Trying to replace a failed drive on DS4700 with a drive from a decomm'd DS4700

‏2014-05-15T21:46:39Z | ds4700

We have a DS4700 that is still in production. We also have a DS4700 that we have recently decomm'd. The drives are all the same size and speed and all show the same serial number.

When we've tried to replace a failed drive in the production DS4700, the amber light goes away, but the hot spare remains in use and the disk that was replaced still shows Offline as a status.

Is there an initialization step that i am missing that must be done when i move a disk between two arrays?

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    45 Posts

Re: Trying to replace a failed drive on DS4700 with a drive from a decomm'd DS4700

‏2014-05-22T07:56:44Z  

Hi,

You will have to initialize drive (Which is taken from decomm'd storage) before using it in production storage. It will be having old configurations on it. I would suggest you to initialize it and then use it.

After this it will come online in your production storage.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

• sgerbec
    sgerbec
    2 Posts

Re: Trying to replace a failed drive on DS4700 with a drive from a decomm'd DS4700

‏2014-05-22T14:22:22Z  

Hi,

You will have to initialize drive (Which is taken from decomm'd storage) before using it in production storage. It will be having old configurations on it. I would suggest you to initialize it and then use it.

After this it will come online in your production storage.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

When i try to do that i get an error message that states:

"Error 410 - A drive operation cannot be performed because the state of the drive is inappropriate for the requested operation."

Is it possible that the firmware of the drive is not correct? If so how do i change the firmware on an array attached disk?

Thanks!

• Chimmy
    Chimmy
    1 Post

‏2016-12-23T17:16:55Z  

Hi sgerbec

did you solve this issues? i have the same problem after replaced the faulty HDD in DS4700 System storage cannot able to recognize the replaced new HDD

by checking on logical tab the new installed HDD is shows  missing and under Physical tab the status of the new HDD is OffLine. We already tried to fail drive and revive the HDD but still no respond from HDD. We did check also in the "Prepare for Removal" command but  giving me this error "Error 410 - A diskDrive operation cannot be perform because the state of the diskDrive is inappropiate for the requested operation"  and Recovery Guru  says "Service action (removal) allowed : "NO"

Please advise me how can I re-seat the HDD ?

regards,

Chimmy

• rajeshRJ
    rajeshRJ
    1 Post

‏2017-01-12T07:18:35Z  

we have a DS4700 with a SATA expansion configured as RAID10 with two spares. Now following happend:

• one drive had an "impending drive failure"
    • I've manually failed the drive and a hotspare drive started automaticly to reconstruct the RAID
    • after the successful rebuild I've pulled the drive out of the array
    • we purchesd new drive
    • then we entered the new drive into the array
    • right after the array recognices the new drive the copyback operation started
    • everything looked good (I saw the time symbol at the volume description)
    • after some time the time symbol disapeared and everything in the properties says optimal

BUT:

• the new drive is marked with the "yellow replaced symbol"
    • the hotspare is still in use (the drive is gry with the red hotspare symbol on the bottom)
    • the Recovey Guru reports reports that there is a hot spare in use
    • if I click on the Recovery Guru an then on the hot spare in use point the window loads and loads and loads but no recovery steps are shown

Can we manually initialized disk 

Now I'm pretty unsure what to do. I've waited two days but nothing happens.

Kindly check attached and help me

Attachments