Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-27T14:03:16Z by GregM_dxler
KBSri
KBSri
104 Posts

Pinned topic I need to obtain the linked object ID's of the object via DXL Scripting

‏2014-02-25T11:50:47Z |

Hello,

I need to obtain the Object IDs of the linked objects in the module.

For e.g.: If a module contains object ID as - SYS_403, It has two links which in turn points to other Object Id's - SR-9.

I have obtain those object IDs in a separate column as SYS_SR_9.

Please help.

• adevicq
    adevicq
    154 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: I need to obtain the linked object ID's of the object via DXL Scripting

‏2014-02-26T10:45:28Z  
    • KBSri
    • ‏2014-02-26T10:28:28Z

Hello All,

I am not requesting for a script. I got stuck up here. Please help if u wish.

I need to obtains the Object IDs of all the incoming links of the objects.

But I am able to obtain only one objects ID, but if there are many object IDs for the object it is not able to obtain.

Please help.

bIngoingLinkObjIDs = false        

string derivedObjIDsSource = ""
    string derivedObjIDsTarget = ""
    string derivedObjIDsSourceTarget = ""

for l in obj <- "*" do

{
                        bIngoingLinkObjIDs = true
                        Object ObjnameSource = source(l)
                        Object ObjnameTarget = target(l)

derivedObjIDsSource = identifier(ObjnameSource)
                        derivedObjIDsTarget = identifier(ObjnameTarget)

print "\nDerived Object IDs:" derivedObjIDsSource "_" derivedObjIDsTarget "\n"
                        derivedObjIDsSourceTarget = derivedObjIDsSource "_" derivedObjIDsTarget
    }

Hi,

If you loop through links and try to get the source object you will get a "null" value if the corresponding module is not loaded.

I suggest you to use a "LinkRef" instead of a "Link":

LinkRef l
    ModName_ mnSrc
    int nAbs
    Module mSrc 
    Object oSrc

for l in o<-"your link module" do {
        nAbs = sourceAbsNo(l)           // Gets the source object absolute number
        mnSrc = source(l)               // Gets the source module name
        mSrc = load(moduleVersion(mnSrc), false) // Loads the source module
        oSrc = object(nAbs, mSrc)       // Reads the source object
    }

Play with these perms and you will probably find a solution...

In addition, if you need to store more than one value, you should use a Skip list. check the DXL help. It is well documented.

Regards,

Alain

• GregM_dxler
    GregM_dxler
    166 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-27T14:03:16Z  
    • KBSri
    • ‏2014-02-27T10:03:06Z

Greg thanks a lot for your invaluable suggestions for newbie.But what I require is for incoming links only.

Now I am able to fetch only one of the ObjectID corresponding to the Source module Object ID,but what I am not able to do is store all the IDs in the same string.

More over I have used the link tools in DOORS but what I need is in DXL Scripting.

Thanks a ton in advance.Please suggest.

It sounds like the problem is not in getting the links but to save the link information together.  What your code is doing is overwritting what is currently there.  The simpliest way is when you save the link information for one link you just add it to the string.  So instead of your command

You use

derivedObjIDsSourceTarget = derivedObjIDsSourceTarget ", " derivedObjIDsSource "_" derivedObjIDsTarget

A better and more efficient way to handle it is to use a buffer instead of a string variable.  To do this, the declaration would be

Buffer derivedObjIDsSourceTarget = create

Then when you want to add stuff to it, you use the command

derivedObjIDsSourceTarget += ", " derivedObjIDsSource "_" derivedObjIDsTarget

And then for cleanup you would use the following command at the end of your program.

delete derivedObjIDsSourceTarget

Hope this helps,

Greg

Updated on 2014-02-27T14:04:38Z at 2014-02-27T14:04:38Z by GregM_dxler
  • Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    2003 Posts

‏2014-02-25T13:02:34Z  

If you use the search on the forum you will find a lot of examples for that. Search for something like "iterate links" or "get link target". Please use the search before posting. Regards, Mathias

• GregM_dxler
    GregM_dxler
    166 Posts

‏2014-02-25T15:35:01Z  

I agree with Mathias.  Seems like this forum is starting to become a dxl script request site instead of a place to learn about dxl.

Instead of a dxl script for this, it seems like DOORS already provides what you want.  Use the Analysis Wizard or the Link Analysis tool.  You can set the depth in the Link Analysis tool to recursively go from link to link.  This is also a good way to get a framework of what you want to do in dxl and then edit it to your liking.

Maybe I'm just getting crabby from the long winter.

Greg

• KBSri
    KBSri
    104 Posts

‏2014-02-26T04:05:10Z  

I agree with Mathias.  Seems like this forum is starting to become a dxl script request site instead of a place to learn about dxl.

Instead of a dxl script for this, it seems like DOORS already provides what you want.  Use the Analysis Wizard or the Link Analysis tool.  You can set the depth in the Link Analysis tool to recursively go from link to link.  This is also a good way to get a framework of what you want to do in dxl and then edit it to your liking.

Maybe I'm just getting crabby from the long winter.

Greg

It s not script request!!!! We guys are new to scripting...We are in assumption that we will get an idea over here!!

Thanks for your replies.

• KBSri
    KBSri
    104 Posts

‏2014-02-26T10:28:28Z  
    • KBSri
    • ‏2014-02-26T04:05:10Z

It s not script request!!!! We guys are new to scripting...We are in assumption that we will get an idea over here!!

Thanks for your replies.

Hello All,

But I am able to obtain only one objects ID, but if there are many object IDs for the object it is not able to obtain.

Please help.

for l in obj <- "*" do

{

}

• adevicq
    adevicq
    154 Posts

‏2014-02-26T10:45:28Z  
    • KBSri

Hello All,

Please help.

for l in obj <- "*" do

{

}

Hi,

If you loop through links and try to get the source object you will get a "null" value if the corresponding module is not loaded.

LinkRef l
    ModName_ mnSrc
    int nAbs
    Module mSrc 
    Object oSrc

for l in o<-"your link module" do {
        nAbs = sourceAbsNo(l)           // Gets the source object absolute number
        mnSrc = source(l)               // Gets the source module name
        mSrc = load(moduleVersion(mnSrc), false) // Loads the source module
        oSrc = object(nAbs, mSrc)       // Reads the source object
    }

In addition, if you need to store more than one value, you should use a Skip list. check the DXL help. It is well documented.

Regards,

Alain

• KBSri
    KBSri
    104 Posts

‏2014-02-26T11:17:38Z  
    • adevicq
    • ‏2014-02-26T10:45:28Z

Hi,

<pre class="javascript dw" data-editor-lang="js" data-pbcklang="javascript" dir="ltr">LinkRef l ModName_ mnSrc int nAbs Module mSrc Object oSrc for l in o<-"your link module" do { nAbs = sourceAbsNo(l) // Gets the source object absolute number mnSrc = source(l) // Gets the source module name mSrc = load(moduleVersion(mnSrc), false) // Loads the source module oSrc = object(nAbs, mSrc) // Reads the source object } </pre>

Regards,

Alain

Thanks a ton. I need this kind of help to improve myself. Yes your idea of replacing the links with linkRef can be done.

I need to get the Target Object IDs of the source Object.

For e.g: Source Object ID has SYS_49 and it has two ingoing links such as SR_23 and XR_76.I need to get both of them stored in an string as SYS_49_SR_29; SYS_49_XR_76 respectively.

Updated on 2014-02-26T11:43:46Z at 2014-02-26T11:43:46Z by KBSri
  • GregM_dxler
    GregM_dxler
    166 Posts

‏2014-02-26T14:01:59Z  
    • KBSri
    • ‏2014-02-26T11:17:38Z

Thanks a ton. I need this kind of help to improve myself. Yes your idea of replacing the links with linkRef can be done.

I need to get the Target Object IDs of the source Object.

For e.g: Source Object ID has SYS_49 and it has two ingoing links such as SR_23 and XR_76.I need to get both of them stored in an string as SYS_49_SR_29; SYS_49_XR_76 respectively.

KBSri,

The above example from adevicq is good to get link information.  A couple of things to note though.

If you want to get all incoming links, then use "*" for the "your link module".  Otherwise it will only loop through incoming links through "your link module".  Many times what happens is people will make links without linksets made up and DOORS will put the link information in a DOORS links link module.  Same thing is true with looping through outgoing links, using "*" for the "your link module" will go through all links, not just the ones in the link module.

For incoming links, you need to have at least read access to the module the link is sourced from.  If you don't have read access, then it will skip the links.  This has bit me as well.  The easiest way to tell if there is an incoming link that you don't see, is to try and delete the object.  DOORS will tell you it can't be deleted because there is an incoming link.

I still don't understand why you don't use the link tools in DOORS to help you.  Run the link wizard to have it populate a column with the object IDs of the source of the incoming links.  Then you can right click on the column heading, select properties and then look at the dxl code it writes.  You can copy and paste this into your editor to use as a starting point.  Maybe it is because of the previous issues I've mentioned as to why you can not do this?

Hope this helps,

Greg

• GregM_dxler
    GregM_dxler
    166 Posts

‏2014-02-26T14:07:42Z  
    • KBSri

Hello All,

Please help.

for l in obj <- "*" do

{

}

One more thing on your posted code.

The loop is going through incoming links.  source(l) works to find the source of the incoming link, but target(l) is used to find the object where the outgoing link goes to.  The target of the incoming link is the object it is working on.  That is, it would be identifier(obj).

If you want to loop through outgoing links, then you would use identifier(obj) for the "source" of the link and then target(l) to find the object to where the link goes.

Hope this helps,

Greg

• KBSri
    KBSri
    104 Posts

‏2014-02-27T10:03:06Z  

One more thing on your posted code.

The loop is going through incoming links.  source(l) works to find the source of the incoming link, but target(l) is used to find the object where the outgoing link goes to.  The target of the incoming link is the object it is working on.  That is, it would be identifier(obj).

If you want to loop through outgoing links, then you would use identifier(obj) for the "source" of the link and then target(l) to find the object to where the link goes.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Greg thanks a lot for your invaluable suggestions for newbie.But what I require is for incoming links only.

Now I am able to fetch only one of the ObjectID corresponding to the Source module Object ID,but what I am not able to do is store all the IDs in the same string.

More over I have used the link tools in DOORS but what I need is in DXL Scripting.

• GregM_dxler
    GregM_dxler
    166 Posts

‏2014-02-27T14:03:16Z  
    • KBSri
    • ‏2014-02-27T10:03:06Z

It sounds like the problem is not in getting the links but to save the link information together.  What your code is doing is overwritting what is currently there.  The simpliest way is when you save the link information for one link you just add it to the string.  So instead of your command

You use

derivedObjIDsSourceTarget = derivedObjIDsSourceTarget ", " derivedObjIDsSource "_" derivedObjIDsTarget

A better and more efficient way to handle it is to use a buffer instead of a string variable.  To do this, the declaration would be

Buffer derivedObjIDsSourceTarget = create

Then when you want to add stuff to it, you use the command

derivedObjIDsSourceTarget += ", " derivedObjIDsSource "_" derivedObjIDsTarget

And then for cleanup you would use the following command at the end of your program.

delete derivedObjIDsSourceTarget

Hope this helps,

Greg

Updated on 2014-02-27T14:04:38Z at 2014-02-27T14:04:38Z by GregM_dxler