10 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-10-01T20:21:40Z by Shark800
ajaynp
ajaynp
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM V7000 Cluster

‏2013-11-11T13:50:39Z |

Hi

We want to create cluster between two controller enclosures  Following  are the details of controllers enclosures , Expansion enclosures & Hard drives.

Existing V7000 Storage Details
Controller Enclosure P/N: 2076-324  
1 Expansion enclosure P/N: 2076-212
Hard disks: 600 GB  SAS  23 no's
3TB NL SAS. 11 Nos.

New V7000 Storage Details
Controller Enclosure P/N 2076-312
2 Expansion enclosure P/N 2076-212
Hard disks: 4TB NL SAS. 24 No's

Also there are some more queries.

1)   As per IBM information Centre New Controller enclosure should not initialize for adding it to the cluster. If the controller enclosure firmware is different how it can be added to the cluster?

2) Which are the FC ports to be zoned for clustering?

3) How we can update the firmware without initializing the storage?

4)   If we can have some procedures on how new enclosures can be added to the clustered system? We tried Redbooks, which doesn't have detailed information.

5) In this scenario Hard disks capacity of new storage and existing storage is different

Please help

Updated on 2013-11-11T13:56:55Z at 2013-11-11T13:56:55Z by ajaynp
  • chriscanto
    chriscanto
    277 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM V7000 Cluster

‏2013-11-11T14:49:22Z  in response to ajaynp

This is the V7000 Information Center page for "Adding another control enclosure into an existing system":

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/storwize/ic/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.storwize.v7000.710.doc%2Ftbrd_qicfgsys_addctlencl_b433xw1.html

If you follow those steps then the second control enclosure will be added to your existing system.  The software level on the new control enclosure is automatically upgraded/downgraded as required to match the existing system, no action is required on your part for that.

You should zone at least two FC ports on each node canister for clustering.  It doesn't matter which ones you use.   If you have enough switch ports then you can use all four to maximise bandwidth and redundancy.  The important thing is to make sure there is equal connectivity to each node canister.

• ajaynp
      ajaynp
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-11T15:19:20Z  in response to chriscanto

hi chirs

thanks for the answers.

. I have few more doubts.

1) In the case i have different type of controller enclosure  P/N: 2076-324 &P/N 2076-312 . is this ok to create cluster with these controllers?

2) Hard disk types are different . 4 TB ,3TB & 600 GB . I  think we cannot create I/O Groups across the enclosures?

3) in this case  do I Need to Zone the host from both controller enclosures?

4) if yes each hosts should have 8 paths 

could you please clarify?

• chriscanto
        chriscanto
        277 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-11T15:45:29Z  in response to ajaynp

1) It is supported to create a clustered system with different models of control and expansion enclosures, no problems there.

2) An I/O group is specifically one control enclosure, containing two node canisters.  So when you add the second control enclosure you are adding a second I/O group.   The fact that I/O group may have SAS attachment to different types of drives is no problem.

3) You only need to zone a host to node ports on the control enclosure(s) it will access volumes from.

4) Zoning guidelines can be found in the Information Center here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/storwize/ic/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.storwize.v7000.710.doc%2Fsvc_zoningguidelines_22n6zd.html

• ajaynp
          ajaynp
          8 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-12T05:30:26Z  in response to chriscanto

Hi chris,

thank you very much for the info

• charles1
          charles1
          2 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-09T09:26:14Z  in response to chriscanto

hi Chriscanto,

I have to do the same, and in order to prepare my new installation, can you let me know how many IP address I need?

In fact, I have to install 2 V7000 (2076-124) in cluster mode (2 IO groups).  I assume I need only one management IP address and 4 service IP addresses.

Can you confirm that point?

In advance, I thank you very much.

Cheers,

Charles

• chriscanto
            chriscanto
            277 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-09T09:33:17Z  in response to charles1

You're correct.

A minimum of one management addresses must be allocated for the system. The first management address is assigned for use on Ethernet port 1. The system assigns the management addresses to one node in the system at any time, to provide access to system configuration and administration functions such as the management CLI and GUI.

A service address should also be allocated to each node (canister) in the system. The service address of a node is allocated to Ethernet port 1 of the node. The node retains the service IP address at all times, allowing convenient access to node configuration and service functions, such as the service assistant GUI and CLI for that node.

You might find the following page in the Information Center useful to help with your planning:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/storwize/ic/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.storwize.v7000.doc%2Ftbrd_completeconfdata.html

• charles1
              charles1
              2 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-09T14:32:42Z  in response to chriscanto

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your quick and detailed reply.

Now I can prepare everything properly.

Charles

• Shark800
              Shark800
              3 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-10-01T19:24:57Z  in response to chriscanto

Chris,

I have a client w/ two exsisting production v7000's non-clustered running 7.1.0.6 code.  They are adding SSD enclosures 2 per environment to take advantage of EasyTier, but also want to cluster the systems.  I've experianced new cluster implementations, but not finding any information regarding clustering exsisting systems, or impact of production pools\mdisk that are exsisting if now clustering? 

Any help or direction is greatly appreicated.

Respectfully,

Patrick

• chriscanto
                chriscanto
                277 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-10-01T20:05:07Z  in response to Shark800

Hello Patrick,

It's not possible to cluster two existing systems together, i.e. merging two separate systems into one clustered system.

SVC/V7000 scale-out works by adding 'candidate' nodes/enclosures to the existing system.

Hope that helps,

Chris

• Shark800
                  Shark800
                  3 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-10-01T20:21:40Z  in response to chriscanto

Chris,

Yes...what I had figured, but had never experianced particular request..  Appreciate the help, and quick response!