Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-13T07:17:12Z by Dragos.Cojocari
DebbieShannon
DebbieShannon
4 Posts

Pinned topic RPE Tutorial Question - Lesson 2, Step 3c

‏2013-06-12T03:18:05Z |

I'm attempting to learn RPE 1.2 and am stuck on Lesson 2, Step 3c.  The instructions say "In the Properties view, you can enter the default URI as the tutorialSpecialAttributes.xml data file."  Can someone please explain how to do this?

If I click on "Data Source Schemas", the properties window says "Properties are not available".

At one point after fiddling around, I was able to get a table with one a column for "Property" and a second column for "Value" but I couldn't edit either.  And, I haven't figured out how to get that display back.

After closing the Properties view and trying to reopen it, I'm blessed with a dialogue box with "An error has occurred.  See error log for more details. java.lang.NullPointerException" and an error in the Properties window called "Could not create the view: An unexpected exception was thrown."  I assume that this error is the result of doing something unexpected that no sane knowledgeable person would do.

So, I guess my real question is "Is there an obvious way for me to get around the "Properties are not available" message and actually enter the default URI?  Or, could the problem be that the tutorial's instructions haven't been updated for version 1.2 and that I should be doing something completely different?

Thank you, in advance.

Updated on 2013-06-12T03:19:00Z at 2013-06-12T03:19:00Z by DebbieShannon
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1614 Posts

Re: RPE Tutorial Question - Lesson 2, Step 3c

‏2013-06-12T07:20:14Z  

Hey Debbie,

I assume you clicked on the data sources schemas shown in the bottom left view. To see the data source properties described in the tutorial you need to select the data source in the outline view ( top right view of Studio).

To fix your Studio layout you can do 2 things:

- from the Window menu choose "Reset perspective"

- close Launcher and Studio and delete the RPE_* folders in %APPDATA%\IBM\Rational . Note that this will delete all preference settings and changes you made to Launcher and Studio.  Note that you can directly put %APPDATA%\IBM\Rational in Windows Explorer ( I assume you are using Windows) and you will be taken to that folder.

Regards,

Dragos

• DebbieShannon
    DebbieShannon
    4 Posts

‏2013-06-13T03:03:32Z  

Hey Debbie,

I assume you clicked on the data sources schemas shown in the bottom left view. To see the data source properties described in the tutorial you need to select the data source in the outline view ( top right view of Studio).

To fix your Studio layout you can do 2 things:

- from the Window menu choose "Reset perspective"

- close Launcher and Studio and delete the RPE_* folders in %APPDATA%\IBM\Rational . Note that this will delete all preference settings and changes you made to Launcher and Studio.  Note that you can directly put %APPDATA%\IBM\Rational in Windows Explorer ( I assume you are using Windows) and you will be taken to that folder.

Regards,

Dragos

Thank you for the reply Dragos.  Resetting my perspective throws a "java.lang.NullPointerException".

It looks like I'm dealing with a bigger problem.  I already have an open PMR related to DOORS 9.5 and RPE 1.2 and now I suspect that this is just one more symptom.  Before I alarm anyone, I'm not sure that the problem is with the software.  For all we know, at this point, the problem may be limited to my system.  We just don't know yet what ghost is haunting my system.

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1614 Posts

‏2013-06-13T07:17:12Z  

Thank you for the reply Dragos.  Resetting my perspective throws a "java.lang.NullPointerException".

It looks like I'm dealing with a bigger problem.  I already have an open PMR related to DOORS 9.5 and RPE 1.2 and now I suspect that this is just one more symptom.  Before I alarm anyone, I'm not sure that the problem is with the software.  For all we know, at this point, the problem may be limited to my system.  We just don't know yet what ghost is haunting my system.

Hey Debbie,

>>> Resetting my perspective throws a "java.lang.NullPointerException".

Then you should delete the workspace as described in my first reply.

With regards to the other issue I'm sure support will help you sort it out. If you are on 1.2 I recommend moving to 1.2.0.1 and apply this hotfix.

Regards,

Dragos