IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections Platform is now in read-only mode and content is only available for viewing. No new wiki pages, posts, or messages may be added. Please see our FAQ for more information. The developerWorks Connections platform will officially shut down on March 31, 2020 and content will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ. (Read in Japanese.)
Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-09-11T13:48:43Z by BearGFR
BearGFR
BearGFR
6 Posts

Pinned topic Inadequate error messages

‏2017-08-31T01:34:22Z |

Improvement is needed.  I just spent 3 weeks also with outside IBM help trying to get the EDUCHAN.sar demo working using the July version of the open beta.  Both of us worked, unsuccessfully,  on solving this problem during that time.  The problem turned out to be insufficient permissions to the .../services directory containing the .sar file.  

The reason it took 3 weeks to solve is there were zero error messages anywhere pointing me to the fact that this was a permissions problem.  I'm running the code embedded in Liberty under CICS/TS 5.3.  I could tell that the feature wasn't finding and picking up the .sar file from the lack of associated messages in the server's messages.log file.  Problem is, there were also no messages providing any clue as to why.

Note: We are not using any sort of SAF-based security product for USS files and instead are running with "permission bits" only, so there was also no opportunity to detect the problem from any sort of SAF security message.

The lack of any meaningful error messages turned what should have been at most a 5 minute problem into a 3 week one that only got solved by accident.

Updated on 2017-08-31T01:38:34Z at 2017-08-31T01:38:34Z by BearGFR
  • Alan Hollingshead
    Alan Hollingshead
    58 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Inadequate error messages

‏2017-09-01T08:45:48Z  

Hello Robert,

As previous discussed on another forum with you, we are looking into this area of functionality.

Kind regards, Alan.

• Alan Hollingshead
    Alan Hollingshead
    58 Posts

‏2017-09-01T08:45:48Z  

Hello Robert,

As previous discussed on another forum with you, we are looking into this area of functionality.

Kind regards, Alan.

• BearGFR
    BearGFR
    6 Posts

‏2017-09-11T13:48:43Z  

Hello Robert,

Kind regards, Alan.

Thanks Alan,

Sorry for the multiple postings, I just wanted to make sure I got the information to the right people.

Robert