Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-03T19:52:14Z by akhil.vasudevan
GeethaR
GeethaR
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to import Stored procedures from Mainframe DB2 into Data Studio

‏2013-08-30T01:01:14Z |

I am new to Mainframe/DB2. Just wondering there are no options available to refer directly from Data studio to Mainframe and just transfer/import stored procedures?

I am looking for functionality in Data Studio which would help import stored procedures (which I can not view it in Text Editor) from production DB2 Db on Mainframe. Since in Data Studio, I can see Databases/Tables/Schemas/Views/Stored Procedures etc in Development Environment. But Stored procedures are not viewable/editable in Text editor. Is there any access rights in mainframe prevents this or am I missing something available in Data Studio?

Please someone help me. Thank you

• David.Zhu
    David.Zhu
    66 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to import Stored procedures from Mainframe DB2 into Data Studio

‏2013-09-09T09:33:02Z  in response to GeethaR

Hi, Geetha,

You can create a database connection and a data development project according to following document. 

After that, import the stored procedures from Mainframe DB2 according to following guide.

Importing routines to a project

Thanks.

• GeethaR
      GeethaR
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-10T00:02:07Z  in response to David.Zhu

David.Zhu, Thank you for your reply. I really tried a lot.

The problem is that, the stored procedures are listed by schema in Data Source Explorer. But When I try to open/open with editor nothing shows up.

This happens for the stored procedures created as a package component (type as SPQ) in Mainframe (through ChangeMan). It seems it can be editable/viewable only in Mainframe, not from Data Studio. Not sure, since I am new to DB2/Mainframe. I do not see flexibility in using stored proc this way. I thought all (Import, Edit/view, Deploy) can be easily accessible from data studio itself as said in articles you mentioned above.

May be any kind of decompile option to get those stored proc accessible from Data studio, just confused....

I'd appreciate any help please. Thank you

Updated on 2013-09-10T00:03:45Z at 2013-09-10T00:03:45Z by GeethaR
      • David.Zhu
        David.Zhu
        66 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-12T14:11:22Z  in response to GeethaR

Hi, Geetha,

Could you paste the source of the stored procedure which you can't open with routine editor? If can't provide whole source, you can just paste the head part and I can check what's the reason.

Thanks.

• GeethaR
          GeethaR
          5 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-13T13:22:14Z  in response to David.Zhu

David, Thank you for your follow-up.

As I said before it is through ChangeMan ZMF. So header is this format: CHGMAN.P.my app name.#my package.SPQ (my stored proc name).

Not sure, any type of ChangeMan ZMF client tools will be helpful? Since it can not be viewable/editable in Data studio/Visual studio.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Equal
            Equal
            127 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-26T02:27:45Z  in response to GeethaR

Hi Geetha,

We can't view external stored procedure if it's not created by Data Studio. But native SQL stored procedures can be viewed. Do you know which kind of stored procedure yours is? Thanks.

Equal

• GeethaR
              GeethaR
              5 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-30T15:35:47Z  in response to Equal

It is just Native SQL Stored procedure, created from ChangeMan ZMF (mainframe) package.

I came to know that I can not edit SP outside ChangeMan ZMF package, just wondering why? Only ChangeMan ZMF client tools should be helpful, not Data Studio???

I'd like to try whether I can create in DS and deploy it in MF (ChangeMan ZMF). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

• This reply was deleted by akhil.vasudevan 2013-10-02T17:41:34Z. Reason for deletion: profile name change
              • akhil.vasudevan
                akhil.vasudevan
                4 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-02T17:41:56Z  in response to GeethaR

Simple answer is NO. ChangeMan and Data Studio are two different software products and there is no bridge between these two unless you build something inhouse.

Data Studio has its own deployment process and so does ChangeMan. I am guessing you are looking for an editor to create your procedure outside of ChangeMan ZMF. If that is YES, ChangeMan Eclipse Plugin is the best bet.

Thanks

• GeethaR
                  GeethaR
                  5 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-03T18:48:11Z  in response to akhil.vasudevan

Akhil, Thank you very much for your response.

I think ChangeMan ZMF Client Tools - ChangeMan ZMF Eclipse Plugin will be helpful.

Like you said, yes I need to create a new stored procedure or existing stored procedure(Created from ChangeMan ZMF Mainframe package) which Data Studio does not allow to view/edit. IT seems Serena has those tools need to be purchased.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I need to look Serena's website for further details.

Thanks again.