• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-27T07:18:31Z by j.gann
jetyvand
jetyvand
2 Posts

Pinned topic VIOS installation 10GbE ping failed

‏2014-06-13T10:49:57Z |

Hi,

Im trying to install two VIOservers on my new 780. My plan is to install VIO using my nim server so I need ethernet connection to my nim server. The problem is that I get a really fast ping failed when I configure the 10GbE adapter with client ip, client gateway, nim server ip and mask. Ive done this alot of times using 1GbE cards, but now using my new 10GbE it failes fast during ping test (its like its not even trying, failes in 1sec)

Network is setup correctly with the correct vlan, the port on the switch shows connected. 

Do I have to activate the 10GbE to use it or something? or do I need a new driver?

• jetyvand
    jetyvand
    2 Posts

Re: VIOS installation 10GbE ping failed

‏2014-06-17T09:48:51Z  

I have a 4x duo 1 GbE and 2x duo 10 GbE. The problem is that Im not able to get the 10 GbE working. 1 GbE works fine, and they have the same configuration on the switch.

I can see the 10 GbE in HMC and I can assign the cards to the vioserver, but when I assign IP, gateway and mask to the card (exactly the same way as 1 GbE) the card just won't communicate. No ping, no other connection..

Do anyone know if I need a driver, or activate the card somehow, or do I need some other configurations on the switch? I don't use trunking og etherchannel. Just plane VLAN ID.

• j.gann
    j.gann
    53 Posts

Re: VIOS installation 10GbE ping failed

‏2014-06-27T07:18:31Z  
    • jetyvand
    • ‏2014-06-17T09:48:51Z

I have a 4x duo 1 GbE and 2x duo 10 GbE. The problem is that Im not able to get the 10 GbE working. 1 GbE works fine, and they have the same configuration on the switch.

I can see the 10 GbE in HMC and I can assign the cards to the vioserver, but when I assign IP, gateway and mask to the card (exactly the same way as 1 GbE) the card just won't communicate. No ping, no other connection..

Do anyone know if I need a driver, or activate the card somehow, or do I need some other configurations on the switch? I don't use trunking og etherchannel. Just plane VLAN ID.

I'd suggest you boot an aix or vio image via dvd or the 1g ports and examine the 10g ports with entstat then