Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-03-21T15:49:04Z by agoneal
tamos
tamos
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Technical Questions about IBM Mashup Center

‏2009-11-19T03:01:55Z |
Do you have questions about the IBM Mashup Center product? Ask them here and have IBM Mashup Center experts respond! 
Updated on 2010-03-21T15:49:04Z at 2010-03-21T15:49:04Z by agoneal
  • Dr. Nada Khatib
    Dr. Nada Khatib
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Technical Questions about IBM Mashup Center

‏2010-02-08T20:12:48Z  in response to tamos
    I have been going through the tutorial before I open the doors to my students. I
    downloaded Google Gadget and it said it added it to my favorites, but I was unable 
    to see it listed in the favorites palette. I am using the web IBM Mashup Center.
    Any help? 

That is the error I keep on getting even when I add other public Google Gadget to the mashup Builder/favorites: 

An error occurred when adding to Mashup Builder. Please contact admin or try doing it later. BMWWC0028E: Widget ID GoogleGadget and unique name GoogleGadget are already in use 
    Updated on 2010-02-08T20:12:48Z at 2010-02-08T20:12:48Z by Dr. Nada Khatib
    • agoneal
      agoneal
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-08T21:34:03Z  in response to Dr. Nada Khatib
       Hello Dr. Khatib, can you please give me a little more information? Are you using the Greenhouse version of Mashup Center? If so, the Google Gadgets widget is already in the Tools category in the palette. I added a note to the tutorial to let Greenhouse users know that they can skip this step (see it under the demo). I assume you are on Module B: Lesson 2?
      • Dr. Nada Khatib
        Dr. Nada Khatib
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-09T00:13:25Z  in response to agoneal
        Yes, I am  using the Greenhouse version of Mashup Center, and the Google Gadgets widget is not in the Tools category in the palette. 
        It is the Stock chart that I am missing from the Google Gadgets.

I went through this http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/lotus/mashups/introTutorial20/frameset.html (V2.0) and it is fun. I need you all 
        to figure out the Stock Chart to allow for the students to learn and compose their mashups. One more thing, when it said to 
        download the GoogleGadgets war file, it did not download as WAR but .zip. So, I renamed the file and tried to load it but not successful. 

Thank You all for the great help. 

Nada 
        Updated on 2010-02-09T00:13:25Z at 2010-02-09T00:13:25Z by Dr. Nada Khatib
        • agoneal
          agoneal
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-09T00:41:21Z  in response to Dr. Nada Khatib
           Hi Dr. Khatib, thanks for the reply. For some reason, my Tools category in Greenhouse has the Google Gadgets widget there in the list. I wonder why we have two different sets of widgets? Let me e-mail one of our developers to find out the situation. I should have an answer very soon. I apologize for the inconvenience. I will also investigate the WAR file issue, but we hopefully we can get the palette situation fixed so that the students do not have to download any WAR files. :-)

Anna
        • agoneal
          agoneal
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-09T13:09:21Z  in response to Dr. Nada Khatib
          Ah ha! I figured out the problem. I must have added the Google Gadgets widget myself from the catalog several weeks ago and completely forgotten. That's why I thought it was already in the palette by default. Let me update the tutorial to tell users how to get the Google Gadgets widget into the catalog within Greenhouse (it's very easy). I will let you know when the steps are updated so you can make sure that it works for you. I am making this update top priority, so it will be very soon!

Again, sorry for the inconvenience!

Anna
        • agoneal
          agoneal
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-09T14:45:49Z  in response to Dr. Nada Khatib
          Hello Dr. Khatib, I have a solution now. I updated the tutorial on the wiki so that it points Greenhouse users to a new article that describes how to add the Google Gadgets widget to the palette from the Greenhouse catalog (no WAR files are involved). I just uploaded the new tutorial file to the server, so it may take a few minutes to replicate. Here is the article that we link to from the tutorial now:

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/mashupswiki.nsf/dx/Greenouse_How_to_add_the_Google_Gadgets_widget_to_your_palette_from_the_catalog.

Please let me know if these changes are satisfactory. Whatever we need to do to help your students get up and running is our top priority.

Thank you again!

Anna
          • Dr. Nada Khatib
            Dr. Nada Khatib
            3 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-10T20:22:23Z  in response to agoneal
            Yes Anna, Thank You very much.  

I instructed my students today to participate in the U-CRE8! Mashup Mania and will 
            see how well they will do. I have about 30 students. 
            • agoneal
              agoneal
              10 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-11T18:42:59Z  in response to Dr. Nada Khatib
               Hi Dr. Khatib,

I'm glad you brought that error to my attention. Hopefully now your students will be able to use the tutorial and not run into any setbacks. However, if they do, please let me know so I can address it. Thank you!

By the way, since you have so many students involved in this contest, perhaps we can work more closely on the learning portion. I will be "on call" throughout the event to help your students find the information they need to get up and running, and in return I'm hoping they can provide feedback about the documentation along the way. We are always looking for feedback on our getting-started documentation, and I think your students are in a prime position to do that. I am assuming they don't know the product at all and are going to rely heavily on the tutorial and the other documentation in the wiki. I realize that providing documentation feedback is not the goal of this event, but if we can find a way to incorporate it in such as way that it does not take up valuable time, then I think it would be a win-win for both of us.

So, how do we get feedback? Well, we have a few options. In the past, we have asked students to take about 10 or 15 minutes to fill out an online survey about their experience using the tutorial and other types of documentation in the wiki. We've also had hour-long calls with individuals to probe them about their personal challenges and get their opinions about what we can do to improve the overall getting-started experience. We've also had these types of calls with groups of students in more of a roundtable format. The surveys are really useful for getting quantitative feedback, and the phone calls are geered more toward gathering qualitative feedback. When combined, we get a well rounded, valuable set of feedback that we can use to make improvements.

Another option that we have found useful is a diary study. Of course, this is more of an ongoing project that requires the participants to record their experiences using the documentation along the way. Usually we ask them to document their experiences for about one or two weeks. The students can be as prolific as they want to as they record their experiences searching for and using the documentation. Of course, we would provide some guidelines and examples to get them started.

Do you think some of your students may be interested in working with us? Again, we will take whatever feedback we can get, so if we can find a way to work with you and your students in any of the ways described above, we would be very appreciative. Again, your schedule comes first, not ours.

If you'd like to discuss this more over e-mail, you can reach me at agoneal@us.ibm.com. I did not see an e-mail for you in your profile.

Anna
              Updated on 2010-02-11T18:42:59Z at 2010-02-11T18:42:59Z by tamos
  • mehaaksma
    mehaaksma
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-19T03:05:13Z  in response to tamos
     I am following the tutorials, but I am having trouble plugging in the Source operator into the socket of the Filter operator. 

I received this message, "You must specify 1 input for this operator to work. Drag the plug from the input operator onto this operator."

I drag the plug of the Source to the socket of the Filter, but it keeps showing me the same message.

Sincerely,
    Monica
    • mehaaksma
      mehaaksma
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-20T05:09:08Z  in response to mehaaksma
       I figured out what I was doing wrong.  First, I have the new version of Firefox 3.6 installed.  The mashup system requirements include Firefox 3.5, not 3.6.  Also,  I needed to right click on the source operator and click "connect to", then choose the filter operator.

Sincerely,
      Monica
      • agoneal
        agoneal
        10 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-03-21T15:49:04Z  in response to mehaaksma
        Hi Monica, I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem! Please let us know if you have additional issues. Also, if you would like to meet with the documentation team at some point in the near future to discuss your overall experience using the tutorials and other articles in the wiki, we would love to talk to you! We are always looking for feedback. Thank you again, and happy mashing! :-)