4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-12T19:27:25Z by RickyHolcomb
Bleddyn
Bleddyn
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Installing ISA Agent on AIX 5.2

‏2013-06-03T15:08:38Z |

Hi,

is there a way to install the AIX version of the agent monitor without installing Firefox or a browser onto AIX?  We have been trying to install Firefox and just going round and round with issues like this.

'Cannot load module /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.a because libintl.a could not be loaded.'

So is there a way to install the agent without needing to install a browser first?

Thanks Bleddyn

• RickyHolcomb
    RickyHolcomb
    200 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Installing ISA Agent on AIX 5.2

‏2013-06-05T22:04:14Z  in response to Bleddyn

Hello Bleddyn,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I am still researching to see if I can find a workaround for installing the agents and will update you when I have a solid answer.

However, in response to customers requesting lightweight solutions for data collection IBM has developed "IBM Support Assistant Lite" and the "IBM Support Assistant Data Collector" as alternatives to remote agent technology. We recommend using these lighter weight solutions because they are easier to use and no installation, configuration, or administrative privileges are required.

For more information about the ISA Data collectors please see the following web page: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/support/isa/

Thanks,

Ricky Holcomb

• Bleddyn
      Bleddyn
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-11T10:26:09Z  in response to RickyHolcomb

Hi Ricky,

I am taking a look at this our aim had been to have the logs constantly rolling into the workbench so we can do analysis of whats going on in WebSphere App Server and Commerce on the live servers.

Now reading the information on the lite collector and also the web based collector its quite hard to see if we can be doing this?  It sounds more to me that these are more meant for perhaps a situation today where I want to pull the logs in from all my servers and see whats going on?  It would perhaps be useful if there was a page that showed what the differences are and the aim of the collector is?

I have also looked at the web based collector and I can see that there is a download for Unix/Linux.  But where are the instructions found on where to install this and what the requirements are?

It's one thing that I do find the the documentation around setting the environment up is a bit lacking in detail.

Thanks Bleddyn

• Bleddyn
      Bleddyn
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-11T11:18:13Z  in response to RickyHolcomb

Hi,

As a follow up to what I posted all I can see from the lite data collector is that it wants to collect specific pieces of information.  Its no good for example at just pulling back say the systemouts being generated, unless there is an option I am missing?  The aim is we then define all the appropriate errors we see in the environment in the workbench and we can analyse anything different going on.

Thanks Bleddyn

• RickyHolcomb
        RickyHolcomb
        200 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T19:27:25Z  in response to Bleddyn

Hello Bleddyn,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was not able to find a workaround for installing the agent monitor without installing Firefox or another browser onto AIX first. I will do some additional investigation as I have time to do so.  I am not sure if this will help, but here's a link for the stand-alone Agent Manager & Agent download: https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/reg/signup.do?source=isa&lang=en_US&S_PKG=v41-amgr .  This would be installed outside of the workbench,

If you did get the Workbench installed with the agent monitor, there is no way to automatically analyze the data with the Workbench.  We are no longer providing new development for the Workbench.  Instead we have moved to a new model for IBM Support Assistant.  The new model is called IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Team Server and is currently in Beta.  We have had a few user requests to interact with our APIs in the IBM Support Assistant 5.0 in order to collect data automatically on remote systems, transfer that data to the IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Team server and then automatically perform data analysis.  We will be considering this for future releases.

There are some automated data analysis functions for cases in the new IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Team Server Beta 3 that might benefit you.  With the ISA collectors you can create response files to enable automation for the collectors.  You may be able to create a cron job to automatically run the ISA collector and then transfer the file via FTP with the collector response file scripts to your IBM support Assistant 5.0 Team Server case directory, as long as you had an FTP server running on that server.  You could then kick off the automated data analysis in the Support Assistant, which will search for known issues, technotes, APARs, Fix Packs, etc.

Note: I have not tried the above solution, but I think it should be possible.

For more information on IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Team Server Beta 3, see the following link:
        http://www.ibm.com/software/support/isa/teamserver.html

Thanks,

Ricky Holcomb