Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-14T20:43:47Z by TD66_d_f
CJane
CJane
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Want to populate current module's attribute data with data from linked modules; can it be done?

‏2013-10-07T21:05:01Z |

I've worked w/ DOORS in the past but not in a developer role. I will appreciate any direction I can get.

I work w/ a team that is always in a subcontractor role. We receive high-level requirements in either Excel spreadsheets or in Word tables. I'm working right now w/ a customer spreadsheet with 2,500 requirements.

I want to create a DOORS module that will serve as the parent module for our effort. I can import the customer requirement text into this module's main column. I want to include the customer requirement IDs in an attribute column. Is there any way I can import the req ID data into an attribute column?

Then I want to create a module for the design requirements of our subsystem. We will link our design requirements to the requirements in the parent module I described in theparagraph above. When I make the in-link from the parent module, I'd like several attribute columns in this subsytem module to auto-populate with information from the parent document, e.g., customer req. ID no., customer req. text, etc. 

Can these thing be done? This seems like it might be basic knowledge; if the answers are somewhere in the DOORS documentation or support pages let me know and I'll look for it!

Thanks, everybody.

Updated on 2013-10-07T21:05:57Z at 2013-10-07T21:05:57Z by CJane
  • llandale
    llandale
    635 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Want to populate current module's attribute data with data from linked modules; can it be done?

‏2013-10-07T21:15:21Z  in response to CJane

Importing excel spread sheets require that there be no rich-text (e.g. bolding) nor diagrams (e.g. OLE diagrams).  You would save the spread-sheet as type CSV, then import that.  Be sure your column names are well formed and match attribute names exactly.

You can write an Attribute-DXL to display information from outlinked objects.  In your case the Analysis Wizard should work.  It creates a Layout, and when that looks good you can use the native tool to convert it to an attr-DXL.  This display will get somewhat cluttered when your sub-system requirement links to more than one System requirement; oh well.

-Louie

• CJane
      CJane
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Want to populate current module's attribute data with data from linked modules; can it be done?

‏2013-10-08T15:50:55Z  in response to llandale

Thank you! I have a strange relationship with IBM developer forums. I struggle, struggle, struggle, finally post a question, and then, as soon as I've posted the question I figure out the answer.

What you told me to do in your reply is what I had just figured out how to do, but I appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks again.

• llandale
        llandale
        635 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T20:15:25Z  in response to CJane

That is not a unique phenomenon.  Most of mind analysis is tied to language, and putting thoughts into actual words drastically helps you figure things out.  So got a problem?  Explain it to your invisible partner.

- Louie

Putting emotions into words helps deal with them as well.