Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-14T17:27:56Z by markevans
msoucy
msoucy
337 Posts

Pinned topic Migrating to RBD 8.5 and WAS test server 8.5

‏2013-05-03T13:45:36Z |

I have an EGL JSF application that currently runs on WAS 6.1 and I want to migrate it to WAS 8.5.  I've loaded RBD 8.5 on my PC and have imported the EGL project into my workspace.  I changed the following items on my EGL build descriptor.

Server type to "Websphere 8.X"
J2eelevel to "6.0"

I also changed the Java version under project facets from 1.5 to 1.6.  When I try to change the EAR version from 1.4 to 6.0 I get a warning error that says "further configuration available".  When I click on the link it says "Update deployment descriptor namespace and version".  What does that mean and how do I do that?  When I try to run my project I get an error that says:

Cannot connect to jdbc/iseries: Exception occurred while the JNDI NamingManager was processing a javax.naming.Reference object.
EGL0002I The error occurred in logon processing the processUser function.

Did I miss something in the migration that will allow me to move to WAS 8.5?

Updated on 2013-05-03T13:45:54Z at 2013-05-03T13:45:54Z by msoucy
  • markevans
    markevans
    2887 Posts

Re: Migrating to RBD 8.5 and WAS test server 8.5

‏2013-05-03T16:11:22Z  

Mike,

Take a look at the following technote... It discusses moving from WAS 6.1 to WAS 8.5 with RBD.  It does not address all the changes you made..so not sure all were necessary....

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21621732

• msoucy
    msoucy
    337 Posts

‏2013-05-03T19:51:26Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2013-05-03T16:11:22Z

Mike,

Take a look at the following technote... It discusses moving from WAS 6.1 to WAS 8.5 with RBD.  It does not address all the changes you made..so not sure all were necessary....

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21621732

Hi Mark,

I looked through the documentation that you provided and I have a few questions.

For WAS 8.5 it says the following:

If you update the server runtime to WebSphere Application Server 8.5.x, there is no need to change anything for JSF, because the default JSF implementation MyFaces 2.0 can be backward compatible with JSF 1.1 specification and it is supported by Rational Business Developer.

Does that mean I don't need to do anything?  Also I'm confused by what I need to do to my web.xml file regarding the footnote about recompiling my JSPs.  One last question.  Does this apply to the WAS running on our IBM i or the WAS test environment running in RBD?

• markevans
    markevans
    2887 Posts

‏2013-05-03T20:08:20Z  
    • msoucy
    • ‏2013-05-03T19:51:26Z

Hi Mark,

I looked through the documentation that you provided and I have a few questions.

If you update the server runtime to WebSphere Application Server 8.5.x, there is no need to change anything for JSF, because the default JSF implementation MyFaces 2.0 can be backward compatible with JSF 1.1 specification and it is supported by Rational Business Developer.

Does that mean I don't need to do anything?  Also I'm confused by what I need to do to my web.xml file regarding the footnote about recompiling my JSPs.  One last question.  Does this apply to the WAS running on our IBM i or the WAS test environment running in RBD?

Mike,

I forwarded this to the folks who know the details and wrote the technote.   Hopefully, they will respond on Monday.

• msoucy
    msoucy
    337 Posts

‏2013-05-03T20:19:00Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2013-05-03T20:08:20Z

Mike,

I forwarded this to the folks who know the details and wrote the technote.   Hopefully, they will respond on Monday.

Thanks Mark.  I also have a couple of PMRs open with IBM regarding related problems with trying to run my EGL application on WAS 8.5 both on my PC in RBD and on the IBM i server.

• PengFeiYu
    PengFeiYu
    29 Posts

‏2013-05-07T02:25:05Z  
    • msoucy
    • ‏2013-05-03T19:51:26Z

Hi Mark,

The technote means nothing needed to be changed for JSF features (JSF spec, IBM JWL-related version, etc.) but doesn't mean user shouldn't change anything. At least they need to use migration tool shipped with RAD/RBD to do the automatically migration for the old projects (some project faces like the server runtime, java compiler level, etc).

Currently the migration tools doesn't change the dynamic web module to 3.0 which is the default level of WAS 8.5, also doesn't change the EAR version to 6.0 . The serverType and j2eeLevel are not changed as well. But I think the projects can still be running with the backward compatibility mode under WAS 8.5.

As far as I know, if user need to fully be compliant with WAS8.5 and Java EE 6.0, then I think they need manually change web model(Servlet)/EAR(JavaEE) version, and the version and some specific namepace in the deployment descriptor (for example, web.xml, webservices.xml, ibm-xxx-bnd.xmi/ibm-xxx-ext.xmi, etc), please search for Eclipse/RAD migration for more details. For RBD, also change the serverType and j2eeLevel in build descriptor.

I hope the migration tool can fully change everything for us to move to a higher server runtime in the future but so far It seems it can't. Indeed, in RBD v9, we have added the migration functionality to migrate the serverType  in the build descriptor because WAS 6.1 is removed in V9.

And for the problem of "Cannot connect to jdbc/iseries ....", did you set the JDBC provider and Datasource in the enhanced EAR  and then break it? Our dev team have received the PMR and working on it.

And for "WAS running on our IBM i or the WAS test environment running in RBD ". We did test WAS test env during the testing phase so it should be supported, but it seems we didn't try WAS on IBMi, I think they will make no difference.

• msoucy
    msoucy
    337 Posts

‏2013-05-07T15:15:02Z  
    • PengFeiYu
    • ‏2013-05-07T02:25:05Z

The technote means nothing needed to be changed for JSF features (JSF spec, IBM JWL-related version, etc.) but doesn't mean user shouldn't change anything. At least they need to use migration tool shipped with RAD/RBD to do the automatically migration for the old projects (some project faces like the server runtime, java compiler level, etc).

Currently the migration tools doesn't change the dynamic web module to 3.0 which is the default level of WAS 8.5, also doesn't change the EAR version to 6.0 . The serverType and j2eeLevel are not changed as well. But I think the projects can still be running with the backward compatibility mode under WAS 8.5.

As far as I know, if user need to fully be compliant with WAS8.5 and Java EE 6.0, then I think they need manually change web model(Servlet)/EAR(JavaEE) version, and the version and some specific namepace in the deployment descriptor (for example, web.xml, webservices.xml, ibm-xxx-bnd.xmi/ibm-xxx-ext.xmi, etc), please search for Eclipse/RAD migration for more details. For RBD, also change the serverType and j2eeLevel in build descriptor.

I hope the migration tool can fully change everything for us to move to a higher server runtime in the future but so far It seems it can't. Indeed, in RBD v9, we have added the migration functionality to migrate the serverType  in the build descriptor because WAS 6.1 is removed in V9.

And for the problem of "Cannot connect to jdbc/iseries ....", did you set the JDBC provider and Datasource in the enhanced EAR  and then break it? Our dev team have received the PMR and working on it.

And for "WAS running on our IBM i or the WAS test environment running in RBD ". We did test WAS test env during the testing phase so it should be supported, but it seems we didn't try WAS on IBMi, I think they will make no difference.

I must admit I'm still a bit confused on what I need to do to get my JSF project to work with RDB and WAS 8.5.  It sounds like the process has changed for defining a database connection using JSF.  I'm thinking I might need to wait to hear back from IBM regarding my open PMR.  Thanks for your reply.

• msoucy
    msoucy
    337 Posts

‏2013-05-07T17:44:05Z  
    • PengFeiYu
    • ‏2013-05-07T02:25:05Z

Okay, I heard back from IBM.  They told me to specify my database connection using the EGL Runtime Data Source property on my project.  Once I did that it worked!  I have a related question though.  When I migrate an EGL JSF project to RBD 8.5 should I be changing the Dynamic Web Module version to 3.0 and the EAR version to 6.0?  When I attempt to do that it says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version".  What exactly does that mean?

• PengFeiYu
    PengFeiYu
    29 Posts

‏2013-05-14T07:24:32Z  
    • msoucy
    • ‏2013-05-07T17:44:05Z

Okay, I heard back from IBM.  They told me to specify my database connection using the EGL Runtime Data Source property on my project.  Once I did that it worked!  I have a related question though.  When I migrate an EGL JSF project to RBD 8.5 should I be changing the Dynamic Web Module version to 3.0 and the EAR version to 6.0?  When I attempt to do that it says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version".  What exactly does that mean?

Hello Mike,

To make it more clear, I created EGL web project "TestWAS61" and "TestWAS61EAR" targeting WAS 6.1. And then migrate to RBD 8.5 targeting WAS 8.5. Here are my steps:

1. Launch RBD 8.5 workspace and new a WAS 8.5 server instance in the "Server" view.

2. Import the two projects into workspace, then the "Workspace Migration" dialog pops up, do the migration following the instructions step by step, see attached screen shots.

After the migration finished, there are some files changed, here are some of them:

• TestWAS61/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml. The following project faces are changed to:

<installed facet="com.ibm.websphere.coexistence.web" version="8.5"/>

<installed facet="com.ibm.websphere.extended.web" version="8.5"/>

<installed facet="java" version="1.6"/>

3. Right click project "TestWAS61EAR", in the Properties->Targeted Runtimes, set the server runtime to WAS 8.5. Then in the Properties->Project Facets, set the WebSphere Application (Co-existence) and WebSphere Application (Extended) to 8.5.

OK, now we can run the application in WAS 8.5. Run the JSF web page "test.jsp" in the web browser and it can display normally.

So far, I think we can run the applicaiton with the backward compatibility mode under WAS 8.5. Just as I mentioned in the previous comment: "Currently the migration tools doesn't change the dynamic web module to 3.0 which is the default level of WAS 8.5, also doesn't change the EAR version to 6.0 . The serverType and j2eeLevel are not changed as well. But I think the projects can still be running with the backward compatibility mode under WAS 8.5.

As far as I know, if user need to fully be compliant with WAS8.5 and Java EE 6.0, then I think they need manually change web model(Servlet)/EAR(JavaEE) version, and the version and some specific namepace in the deployment descriptor (for example, web.xml, webservices.xml, ibm-xxx-bnd.xmi/ibm-xxx-ext.xmi, etc), please search for Eclipse/RAD migration for more details. For RBD, also change the serverType and j2eeLevel in build descriptor."

To make the projects fully be compliant with WAS8.5 and Java EE 6.0, then I think we may need to go into step 4.

1) Right click project "TestWAS61", in the Properties->Project Facets, change the Dynamic Web Module to 3.0, then the information says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version". Just accept it, then the following things happens:

• TestWAS61/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml: the dynamic web module was changed to:

<installed facet="jst.web" version="3.0"/>

• TestWAS61/WebContent/WEB-INF/ibm-web-bnd.xmi and ibm-web-ext.xmi was changed to ibm-web-bnd.xml and ibm-web-ext.xml.
    • TestWAS61/WebContent/WEB-INF/web.xml: the version and namespace was changed.
    • TestWAS61/WebContent/WEB-INF/webservices.xml: the namespace was changed. [This is for web service]

2) Right click project "TestWAS61EAR", in the Properties->Project Facets, change the EAR to 6.0, then the information says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version". Just accept it, then the following things happens:

• TestWAS61EAR/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml: the EAR version was changed to:

<installed facet="jst.ear" version="6.0"/>

• TestWAS61EAR/META-INF/application.xml: the version and namespace was changed.

3) Change the Server type to "Websphere 8.X" and J2eelevel to "6.0" in the build descriptor, then regenerate the project.

So the answer for "When I attempt to do that it says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version".  What exactly does that mean?" is that it will change the version and namespace in the configuration files as I mentioned in step 4.

And for the question "When I migrate an EGL JSF project to RBD 8.5 should I be changing the Dynamic Web Module version to 3.0 and the EAR version to 6.0?", in other words, is step 4 required or optional? Because the migration functionality is shipped with Eclipse WTP/RAD, I need first check it with RAD team for it. My recommendation is to perform step 4 in order to do a fully migration.

I hope my explanation not confused you, will update you if I got a further answer from RAD migration team.

• msoucy
    msoucy
    337 Posts

‏2013-05-14T14:09:02Z  
    • PengFeiYu
    • ‏2013-05-14T07:24:32Z

Hello Mike,

To make it more clear, I created EGL web project "TestWAS61" and "TestWAS61EAR" targeting WAS 6.1. And then migrate to RBD 8.5 targeting WAS 8.5. Here are my steps:

1. Launch RBD 8.5 workspace and new a WAS 8.5 server instance in the "Server" view.

2. Import the two projects into workspace, then the "Workspace Migration" dialog pops up, do the migration following the instructions step by step, see attached screen shots.

After the migration finished, there are some files changed, here are some of them:

• TestWAS61/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml. The following project faces are changed to:

<installed facet="com.ibm.websphere.coexistence.web" version="8.5"/>

<installed facet="com.ibm.websphere.extended.web" version="8.5"/>

<installed facet="java" version="1.6"/>

3. Right click project "TestWAS61EAR", in the Properties->Targeted Runtimes, set the server runtime to WAS 8.5. Then in the Properties->Project Facets, set the WebSphere Application (Co-existence) and WebSphere Application (Extended) to 8.5.

OK, now we can run the application in WAS 8.5. Run the JSF web page "test.jsp" in the web browser and it can display normally.

So far, I think we can run the applicaiton with the backward compatibility mode under WAS 8.5. Just as I mentioned in the previous comment: "Currently the migration tools doesn't change the dynamic web module to 3.0 which is the default level of WAS 8.5, also doesn't change the EAR version to 6.0 . The serverType and j2eeLevel are not changed as well. But I think the projects can still be running with the backward compatibility mode under WAS 8.5.

As far as I know, if user need to fully be compliant with WAS8.5 and Java EE 6.0, then I think they need manually change web model(Servlet)/EAR(JavaEE) version, and the version and some specific namepace in the deployment descriptor (for example, web.xml, webservices.xml, ibm-xxx-bnd.xmi/ibm-xxx-ext.xmi, etc), please search for Eclipse/RAD migration for more details. For RBD, also change the serverType and j2eeLevel in build descriptor."

To make the projects fully be compliant with WAS8.5 and Java EE 6.0, then I think we may need to go into step 4.

1) Right click project "TestWAS61", in the Properties->Project Facets, change the Dynamic Web Module to 3.0, then the information says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version". Just accept it, then the following things happens:

• TestWAS61/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml: the dynamic web module was changed to:

<installed facet="jst.web" version="3.0"/>

• TestWAS61/WebContent/WEB-INF/ibm-web-bnd.xmi and ibm-web-ext.xmi was changed to ibm-web-bnd.xml and ibm-web-ext.xml.
    • TestWAS61/WebContent/WEB-INF/web.xml: the version and namespace was changed.
    • TestWAS61/WebContent/WEB-INF/webservices.xml: the namespace was changed. [This is for web service]

2) Right click project "TestWAS61EAR", in the Properties->Project Facets, change the EAR to 6.0, then the information says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version". Just accept it, then the following things happens:

• TestWAS61EAR/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml: the EAR version was changed to:

<installed facet="jst.ear" version="6.0"/>

• TestWAS61EAR/META-INF/application.xml: the version and namespace was changed.

3) Change the Server type to "Websphere 8.X" and J2eelevel to "6.0" in the build descriptor, then regenerate the project.

So the answer for "When I attempt to do that it says "Further Configuration Available..."  and "Update Deployment Descriptor Namespace and Version".  What exactly does that mean?" is that it will change the version and namespace in the configuration files as I mentioned in step 4.

And for the question "When I migrate an EGL JSF project to RBD 8.5 should I be changing the Dynamic Web Module version to 3.0 and the EAR version to 6.0?", in other words, is step 4 required or optional? Because the migration functionality is shipped with Eclipse WTP/RAD, I need first check it with RAD team for it. My recommendation is to perform step 4 in order to do a fully migration.

I hope my explanation not confused you, will update you if I got a further answer from RAD migration team.

Hi PengFeiYu,

Thank you for your reply.  This was most hepful.  I however still have an issue.  The project runs fine in RBD 8.5 using WAS 8.5 test environment, but when I install it on WAS Express 8.5 running on our I5 I get the following error:

EGL0505E Cannot connect to jdbc/iseries: Exception occurred while the JNDI NamingManager was processing a javax.naming.Reference object.
    EGL0002I The error occurred in logon processing the processUser function.

Does this mean I have something setup wrong on my WAS profile or somethig wrong?  I've attached some screen shots so you can see how my project is defined.

You'll notice in my deployment descriptor I have three entries where previously I only had two.  Also in my Web.xml file I have reference to two JNDI names. The 2nd JNDI name was added when I attached the EGL Data Source Connection.