Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-25T17:20:59Z by jscheel
jrdesai
jrdesai
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic PowerLinux and MySQL

‏2012-08-23T19:46:21Z |

I am trying to investigate status of MySQL support on PowerLinux and seeing conflicting information. On many of the presentations and on infocenter, I see that MySQL is supported. I also however know that MySQL was not going to be ported or supported on Power hardware (aix or PowerLinux). Since MySQL is open source, I read in one article, that IBM is investigating other options like working with 3rd parties to provide support for the latest MySQL. Can you please point me to information that would clarify what exactly is supported or not supported for MySQL? If latest version of MySQL is not supported,  then what other options are there for someone investigating a LAMP stack for PowerLInux?

Thanks.

-Janak

Updated on 2012-08-25T17:20:59Z at 2012-08-25T17:20:59Z by jscheel
  • DaveH79
    DaveH79
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: PowerLinux and MySQL

‏2012-08-23T21:04:28Z  in response to jrdesai
     Hi Janak,

I'm not completely sure what kind of "support" you are after.  Do you mean traditional "enterprise support"?  Oracle itself provides support for MySQL, but support may also be provided through the various Enterprise Linux distributions.  Those have supported MySQL on powerpc for a long time.  Although, being enterprise distributions, they chose to stabilize their versions of MySQL a while ago, and generally will not make a major update until their next major releases.  But, the versions of MySQL in these distributions is the same regardless of the architecture.

There's also the matter of if MySQL even _runs_ on powerpc these days.  In other words, could someone take the source code and compile it for their system?  I think the answer to that is yes, even on the latest released versions of MySQL.  Debian has very recent versions available, for instance: http://debian.osuosl.org/debian/pool/main/m/mysql-5.5.

Does that answer your question?  We might be able to answer your question more thoroughly if you linked to the article that you mentioned.  I'm not familiar with it.
  • ThinkOpenly
    ThinkOpenly
    40 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-23T21:07:02Z  in response to jrdesai
    On the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 iso is:
    My understanding is that if it's on the media, it's supported (and would be surprised if that wasn't the case).

That being said, I'm sure DB2 would work in that stack, and WebSphere probably provides the whole stack (excluding the "L", of course) already integrated (but I'm not a WebSphere expert by any means).
  • jrdesai
    jrdesai
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-23T21:18:53Z  in response to jrdesai
     Thanks. I am working with a customer who wants to move to Linux on 770s. They are currently running MySQL version 5.5.21. I am not sure if they are buying enterprise support from Oracle, but will double check. I don't know much about MySQL so I am not sure what is involved, if it's even possible, to move backward from version 5.5.21 to the version 5.1.61 supported in the distro. The article that I was refering was the one written for IBM i, but support statements about other Power OSes still apply.  http://www.alanseiden.com/2011/01/13/mysql-is-still-alive-on-ibm-i/
    • DaveH79
      DaveH79
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-23T22:35:50Z  in response to jrdesai
      That article is actually about a very specific bit of connecting software between what the article calls "IBM i".  PowerLinux is actually very separate and unaffected.  There have been some statements directly from the MySQL community (http://www.mysql.com/support/eol-notice.html "January 4, 2010") about dropping support for "Linux Generic RPM for PowerPC".  As far as I can tell, that is just a statement about support from MySQL.  You should still be able to get support from other channels such as the standard Enterprise Linux Distributions.  You should double-check with Novell precisely which version they provide and support, but it does appear that MySQL on SLES11 SP2 comes with a very recent version of MySQL: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=65071.
  • pdekoker
    pdekoker
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-24T14:35:52Z  in response to jrdesai
     Our show stopper was that Oracle stopped supporting Enterprise MySQL for Power servers.  Redhat said they support the community version that is shipped on thier distrobution.  Oracle has some features only availaible through thier Enterprise version that is not availaible to the power servers architecture.  One example of this is hot backup. 

Please double check this as I hope I am wrong.
    • jscheel
      jscheel
      61 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-25T17:20:59Z  in response to pdekoker
      Phillip,  You've hit the precise confusion on the head.  When customers ask about "MySQL support" for PowerLinux we have to differentiate from the mysql rpm in the RHEL and SLES distributions and the MySQL ISV software provided by Oracle, the latter one having more function and a slightly different code base.

Once you make the distinction with a customer about which mysql they are requesting, then the summary goes like this:
      1. RHEL and SLES distribution provide mysql for PowerLinux.  This is the opensource community RPM.
      2. Oracle does not provide a PowerLinux offering of their MySQL product.
       Thanks to Janak for asking this question on the message board and to everyone who contributed.