Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-12-30T15:08:19Z by JamieADennis
prashanna
prashanna
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to find the Managed System/Frame name from LPAR?

‏2013-06-13T05:10:08Z |

Hi

I would like to find-out the Managed system name from an LPAR level - but not from HMC or NIM or CSM server.

Is there any AIX command to find the "Managed System or Frame Name" from LPAR?

I tried the command - lsrsrc IBM.ManagedNode, It gives the HMC name but not the Managed System or Frame name..

Thanks.

Updated on 2013-06-13T05:21:39Z at 2013-06-13T05:21:39Z by prashanna
  • GarlandJoseph
    GarlandJoseph
    104 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to find the Managed System/Frame name from LPAR?

‏2013-06-20T17:27:46Z  in response to prashanna

Take a look at the output from lscfg -vp.  The "real" name for an lpar, in my opinion, is what PHYP says it is.  In other words, if you log on to your HMC and run the lspartition -dlpar command...that's the PHYP name for the partition.

lscfg -vp (run from an LPAR) information can help you identify the frame, it includes machine type, modely, cabinet serial numbers, etc.

also try prtconf

Updated on 2013-06-20T17:35:33Z at 2013-06-20T17:35:33Z by GarlandJoseph
    • prashanna
      prashanna
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-24T12:42:54Z  in response to GarlandJoseph

@ GarlandJoseph

"prtconf" & "lscfg -vp" o/p provided the Machine Type - Model & Sl.No, however it doesn't provide the Managed System Name (Frame Name) like what we see from the HMC (vtmenu or lssyscfg o/p)

• sajjadhashimi
    sajjadhashimi
    35 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-21T19:56:09Z  in response to prashanna

Good Question -- Let me know if you find out such command. In the meantime, try uname (w/-m M a etc etc), thats what I use to determine where lpar is at.

I don't see an option in uname that could provide "exact" frame/managed system name but above flags do the job for me.

HTH.

• prashanna
      prashanna
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-24T12:45:02Z  in response to sajjadhashimi

Thanks Sajjad - could you please elloborate how did you determine where LPAR is ?

• GarlandJoseph
    GarlandJoseph
    104 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-26T17:41:23Z  in response to prashanna

What's in a Name?

The managed system name, with respect to the HMC can be changed or at least what shows up in the GUI as in the name field of
    HMC->System_Management->Servers .

The name that shows up in vtmenu, from my experience, usually agrees with the above name. I am not sure if this differs across HMC versions.

If you run the command lspartition -dlpar from the hmc, the frame names there are different and relect what I would consider the true frame names.    This output shows lpar information queried from PHYP of every managed frame.

The frame names are usually in the form of a partition number, machine type, model, and serial number. Other information is included in the display like operating system and capacity values.

You see an entry for every lpar per partition and it's easy to derive the unique frame names from this command.

This same information, with the exception of the partition number with respect to phyp (Hypervisor), is revealed by information like lscfg, prtconf, and uname.

So from the perspective of the lpar... "inside trying to look out and determine aspects of your environment", commands like lscfg, prtconf, and uname  should be sufficient, since the combination of all this information from all the LPARS will tell you what LPARS are on the same physical frame/resources.

~                                                            

Updated on 2013-06-26T17:42:21Z at 2013-06-26T17:42:21Z by GarlandJoseph
    • prashanna
      prashanna
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-28T12:11:49Z  in response to GarlandJoseph

well, let me clarify this.

For Inventory purpose and capacity management purpose we would like to execute a script/agent on each and every LPAR in our DC and the o/p will be sent to a DB server and the data will be published to a portal.

we manage to collect every info from LPAR but not the Managed syatem name to which it belongs to.

The option we have now is by corelating the "uname -a" / system serial No as it'll be unique for all LPARs which is part of a managed system.

But we find it difficult to co-relate the name & serial no and it's difficult to educate the non technical staff.

hence I posted the query to see any direct command which'll provide the frame name configured on the HMC level.

• JLGuyot
        JLGuyot
        9 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-08T12:30:55Z  in response to prashanna

AFAIK only the serial is available on the LPAR.

The name of the frame is a logical name only available in the FSP (ASMI) and gathered by the HMC and RMC doesn't deliver this information.

You can ask IBM for this feature (I did ;) for a future release.

• daboule
        daboule
        17 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-09T11:03:36Z  in response to prashanna

why don't you collect info from HMC / IVM then correlate them with LPARs by using the serial number of the managed system ?

We do that for our inventory (CMDB..)

Keep in mind that the Managed System name only exist in the HMC "area" name space.

The managed system name is the hostname that exist from the service processor point of view ; which is a private between the HMC and the Service processor

It does not exist from the LPAR point of view.

The managed system name is not part of VPD !

• JamieADennis
    JamieADennis
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-30T15:08:19Z  in response to prashanna

If you are looking for the name (or IP address) of the HMC which the LPAR is managed by, use lsrsrc IBM.ManagementServer. 

lsrsrc IBM.ManagementServer
    Resource Persistent Attributes for IBM.ManagementServer
    resource 1:
            Name             = "{HMC-Name}"
            Hostname         = "{HMC IP}"
            ManagerType      = "HMC"
            LocalHostname    = "{Current Host IP}"
            ClusterTM        = "9078-160"
            ClusterSNum      = ""
            ActivePeerDomain = ""
            NodeNameList     = {"current-host"}