Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-10-30T06:41:32Z by Vincent Jiang
mpdscb
mpdscb
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Problems with excluding libraries with purify 7.0.1-004 on RHEL 6.1

‏2013-10-29T19:39:27Z |

Having waited awhile for IBM to support RHEL6, I was excited to find support for it in the latest maintenance release 7.0.1-004.  However, I am having problems with excluding libraries.  Syntax that works successfully in RHEL 5.3 seems to get ignored on RHEL 6.1.

Purify options -enable-exclude and -exclude-libs are being ignored by purify on linux RHEL 6 but work on linux RHEL 5 .

At build time (and sometimes at runtime) purify instruments all shared libraries and uses those instrumented libraries instead to
generate purify reports. But instrumenting third party shared libraries like oracle and db2 break the vendor functionality at runtime and cause crash or incorrect results.

As a work around, purify exclude options are utilized to skip instrumenting third party shared libraries, but for some reason
on RHEL 6 this feature is disabled.

Here is an example of exclusion attempt for
   oracle libclntsh.so.11.1:

/users/pure/releases/purify.i386_linux2.7.0.1.0-004/purify
   -best-effort -output-limit=10000000 -chain-length=20
   -append-logfile=yes -follow-child-processes=yes
   -fds-inuse-at-exit=no -thread-report-at-exit=no
   -cache-dir=$EDAPRIV/dbg/cache
   -add-suppression-files="purify.txt,/port/edaport/R729999D/imk/purify.txt" -lazy-load=no
   -enable-exclude -exclude-libs=libclntsh.so.11.1
   -static-checking-guardzone=4 -follow-terminal-symlinks
   -messages=batch
   -map-dummy-page-green -threads=yes -log-file=./%v.%p.purify.log
   g++ -o /users/pgmpur1/pgmvva/eda3/dbg/tscom3.out

• Vincent Jiang
    Vincent Jiang
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Problems with excluding libraries with purify 7.0.1-004 on RHEL 6.1

‏2013-10-30T06:41:32Z  in response to mpdscb

Please note that "exclude" does not mean no instrumentation at all,  instead, Purify still does very limited instrumentation to ensure the PUT to be able to run with the excluded libraries.

As a result, chances are the excluded libraries still cause failure during runtime because of some unknown compatibility issues.

And of course, that kind of issues have to be addressed case by case.

My suggestion is to open a PMR with support to get latest LA iFix and see if the issue can be solved.  (as far as I know, there are a few Oracle lib issues fixed after 7.0.1.0-004 release)