• 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-10-22T18:17:59Z by bekataoka
Arnab_Ghosh
Arnab_Ghosh
94 Posts

Pinned topic How to set header Content-Type in error rule

‏2013-06-18T19:48:30Z |

Hi,

I want to set few headers in error-rule. All of the headers are getting set but the header Content-Type is not getting set. Can you please let me know how to set it in an error rule? And how to set the header Content-Length?

Thanks,

Arnab

• kenhygh
    kenhygh
    1614 Posts

Re: How to set header Content-Type in error rule

‏2013-06-18T23:22:24Z  

what's your code look like?

• Nitin_Jha
    Nitin_Jha
    20 Posts

‏2013-06-19T01:40:16Z  

Hi Arnab

As Ken said, it would helpful to , if we have more details, but as a generic solution this should work.

I am assuming you are trying to set the value same as it comes in the request. The original value can be read from the service variable "var://service/original-content-type" and then you can it assign it to the response header as given below.

var://service/set-response-header/Content-Type = var://service/original-content-type.

You can use a set variable action or a XSLT to achieve this.

Hope this helps.

• SatheshSubramaniam
    SatheshSubramaniam
    12 Posts

‏2013-06-19T03:52:41Z  

hi

set this service variable var://service/set-response-header/Content-Type using set variable action.

this set variable action should placed after Result action.

try it.

• Arnab_Ghosh
    Arnab_Ghosh
    94 Posts

‏2013-06-19T16:35:49Z  

hi

set this service variable var://service/set-response-header/Content-Type using set variable action.

try it.

Thanks all of you it worked as Sathesh explained above. Do you know how can i set the Content-Length as well?

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    4894 Posts

‏2013-06-19T19:00:44Z  

Thanks all of you it worked as Sathesh explained above. Do you know how can i set the Content-Length as well?

Please do not do that, you are likely to set it incorrectly (how would you want to compute the length not knowing how DataPower creates output?).

I assume that you do not see a Content-Length in DataPower response and want one.
    This is the case if DataPower returns the response in chunked mode, which is a HTTP 1.1 feature.

The easiest way I know of to enforce DataPower returning a Content-Length HTTP response header is this:
    Set "HTTP Version to Client" in the FSH to "HTTP 1.0" instead of default of "HTTP 1.1".

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/> <myCE/>

• d.m.spice
    d.m.spice
    63 Posts

‏2013-09-27T13:00:36Z  

hi

try it.

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue, so I tried your suggestion.  It appears to work, but when the consumer receives the error, the content-type is back to "text/xml" Attached is a pic of the error rule probe, showing the content-type is correct:

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• kenhygh
    kenhygh
    1614 Posts

‏2013-09-27T13:12:33Z  
    • d.m.spice
    • ‏2013-09-27T13:00:36Z

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue, so I tried your suggestion.  It appears to work, but when the consumer receives the error, the content-type is back to "text/xml" Attached is a pic of the error rule probe, showing the content-type is correct:

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance

did you use <dp:freeze-headers/> ?

• d.m.spice
    d.m.spice
    63 Posts

‏2013-09-27T13:18:07Z  
    • kenhygh
    • ‏2013-09-27T13:12:33Z

did you use <dp:freeze-headers/> ?

I put an xform after my set variable that did a freeze-headers to no avail.

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    4894 Posts

‏2013-09-27T18:48:53Z  
    • d.m.spice
    • ‏2013-09-27T13:18:07Z

I put an xform after my set variable that did a freeze-headers to no avail.

Please create a simplified service showing the problem and attach an export of the service.

Please provide also how to send request to trigger problem.

• d.m.spice
    d.m.spice
    63 Posts

‏2013-09-27T20:13:51Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-09-27T18:48:53Z

Please create a simplified service showing the problem and attach an export of the service.

Thank you, I will as soon as I can, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

• d.m.spice
    d.m.spice
    63 Posts

‏2013-09-27T23:33:57Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-09-27T18:48:53Z

I've figured out what is causing the issue, but I do not understand why.  The behavior exhibits itself when there is an on-error action on the request.

Attached is a zip of a simple MPG with a request, response, and error rule that demonstrate this.  The request has an on-error action, a simple xform that does a dp:reject (to force the error), and a results action.  The error rule has a results action and a set var action.

If you leave the on-error in, the response content-type is returned as "text/xml".  If you remove the on-error, the content-type correctly returns "application/json".

Attachments

• d.m.spice
    d.m.spice
    63 Posts

‏2013-09-27T23:46:46Z  
    • d.m.spice
    • ‏2013-09-27T23:33:57Z

I've figured out what is causing the issue, but I do not understand why.  The behavior exhibits itself when there is an on-error action on the request.

Attached is a zip of a simple MPG with a request, response, and error rule that demonstrate this.  The request has an on-error action, a simple xform that does a dp:reject (to force the error), and a results action.  The error rule has a results action and a set var action.

If you leave the on-error in, the response content-type is returned as "text/xml".  If you remove the on-error, the content-type correctly returns "application/json".

Forgot to mention how to invoke.  It's basically a REST GET:

http://{your device}:19666/test

• bekataoka
    bekataoka
    15 Posts

‏2014-10-22T18:17:59Z  
    • d.m.spice
    • ‏2013-09-27T23:33:57Z

I was wondering if you ever solved this problem.  I have run into the same situation.  Can you share your solution?