• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-04-17T03:33:54Z by JoshuaLyn
RaviBhardwaj
RaviBhardwaj
26 Posts

Pinned topic Not able to resolve "import com.sun.faces.*"

‏2014-03-20T15:22:35Z |

Hi,

I am trying to migrate from RBD8 with WAS7 to RBD9 with WAS8.5.5, Test build/deployment was successful without any issue.

Later, I saw RBD was installed with Tools for webshere 7, along with 8.5 . Since I wanted to use only 8.5 as runtime environment, so I uninstalled  Tools for webshere 7. After that I am getting build error for the import "com.sun.faces.* "

Any clue how to resolve this?

find attached screens for the reference.

• markevans
    markevans
    3034 Posts

Re: Not able to resolve "import com.sun.faces.*"

‏2014-03-20T17:11:54Z  

Ravi,

Not sure where you are getting the message, but  I think you may need to keep the V7 WAS tools installed. 

See the attached screen shot.  From looking it, it looks the last time the Sun Reference Implementation for JSF was with WAS 7.0.  So maybe this is provided by the WAS 7.0 development tools which is why you are now getting the message.

Attachments

• RaviBhardwaj
    RaviBhardwaj
    26 Posts

‏2014-03-21T14:50:35Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2014-03-20T17:11:54Z

Ravi,

Not sure where you are getting the message, but  I think you may need to keep the V7 WAS tools installed. 

See the attached screen shot.  From looking it, it looks the last time the Sun Reference Implementation for JSF was with WAS 7.0.  So maybe this is provided by the WAS 7.0 development tools which is why you are now getting the message.

Not able to resolve even after reinstalling RBD and WAS8.5.5 as earlier, Is this again a caching issue? I am not having any clue as of now to resolve it.

• PengFeiYu
    PengFeiYu
    29 Posts

‏2014-03-25T02:43:11Z  

Not able to resolve even after reinstalling RBD and WAS8.5.5 as earlier, Is this again a caching issue? I am not having any clue as of now to resolve it.

Hi,

Can you please show the detailed error for "build error for the import "com.sun.faces.* ""?

Regards.

• RaviBhardwaj
    RaviBhardwaj
    26 Posts

‏2014-03-25T06:44:31Z  

Hi,

This issue is because of missing JAR in java build path for SunRI1.2 implementation (com.ibm.ws.jsf.RI1_2.jar)  , instead "com.ibm.ws.jsf.myfaces.jar" is listed in java build path in the WebSphere Application Server v8.5 library. If we select WebSphere Application Server v7.0 stub as runtime then we don't have any issue because RI1.2 reference is available in java build path (websphere_apis.jar)

Since going forward we will deploy our application only in Webshere 8.5 runtime, So for development as well I don't want to select V7 Stub  as runtime along with v8.5 , Moreover selection of v7 stub creates unnecessary confusion and I don't feel its correct.

Please advise how to resolve it ?

Regards

Ravi Bhardwaj

• RaviBhardwaj
    RaviBhardwaj
    26 Posts

‏2014-03-26T14:36:49Z  

Hi,

Any workaround ? Manually adding missing jar in class path resolves the issue but ideally it should be picked up by Webshere 8.5 runtime library.

Thanks

Ravi Bhardwaj

• JoshuaLyn
    JoshuaLyn
    15 Posts

‏2014-04-17T03:33:54Z  

Hi,

Any workaround ? Manually adding missing jar in class path resolves the issue but ideally it should be picked up by Webshere 8.5 runtime library.

Thanks

Ravi Bhardwaj

Hi Ravi, we have got your RFE in dW.Thanks for sharing your ideas.

After discuss with our team members, I still have a question

I found this error is caused by using the JSF SUN RI implementation cass directly. But whe use JSF , we will only use the specification API intead of using the implementation class directly.This is why we can choose different implementation in WAS application run time.

I guess your project tries to define your own tag , because your code extending from ColumnTag, which is from SUN RI and leads to the compile error in development environment. But why you don't extend from UIComponentELTag or UIComponentTag, which is from JSF specification API and this is more typical pratice when define tag.

RAD provides the jars in development environment, and it picks up the apache Myfaces because this is the defaut implementation in WAS 8.x. I will mail them to discuss this RFE, and you response to you if I got any updates