I - Reverse Engineer 

Here're the two use cases for reverse engineering:

(1) *Legacy App -> Reverse -> UML
(2) New -> UML

II - Forward Engineer 

Follow up to those 2 use cases is Forward Engineering as such:

(1)*Legacy app -> Reverse -> UML -> Forward -> **new App -> ***new Platform
(2) New -> UML -> Forward -> **new App -> ***new Platform

*Legacy app could be (IDL Cobol, Visual Basic, C#, C++, and so on)
** New App could be (Java J2EE, .NET, and so on)
*** New Platform could be (Unix, cloud and so on)

Which Rational IBM tools can do the reverse & forward engineer as mentioned in the two use cases above?

Thanks!

Updated on 2012-11-07T14:21:38Z at 2012-11-07T14:21:38Z by CharlesRivet
  • CharlesRivet
    CharlesRivet
    2 Posts

Re: Rational Rose Add-In

‏2012-11-06T20:43:49Z  
     Hi Tiger2010,

First, let me state that IBM Rational Rose, although still available, is a legacy application that is not seeing further development. IBM Rational Software Architect and IBM Rational Rhapsody are the current IBM Rational products in the modeling space. I will not discuss Rhapsody in this response as it is a systems and embedded modeling and development tool and, from your question, this is more of an IT-oriented discussion. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

That being said, here are some explanations of the tools that I hope will help you.

With regards to you scenario (1):

IBM Rational Rose did not support all the languages you list above. IDL (through CORBA), Visual Basic, C#, and C++ were supported, but not COBOL. Even then, reverse engineering was sometimes finicky for some of these (e.g., CORBA IDL) or required specific versions of tools (e.g., the version of Visual Studio that existed at the time of the Rose release).

In IBM Rational Software Architect (RSA), VB.NET, C#, and C++ are all supported for reverse and forward engineering (through extensions) and CORBA IDL is only supported for code generation. In RSA, COBOL is only supported when RSA is used in collaboration with IBM Rational Developer for Z, which provides the COBOL code generation capability.

For the architecture, modeling, and generation of new applications, i.e., your scenario (2), Rose and RSA both have different levels of support. Rose does support generated Java (J2EE) and .NET applications, but the support provided in RSA for these two targets is much more up-to-date and comprehensive - especially for J2EE and SOA modeling and development. Both Rose and RSA are available on Windows and on a limited set of Unix and Unix-like OS. However, it is fairly simple to develop on one platform and deploy on another, especially when dealing with application servers.

It would also be interesting to understand what you mean by "cloud". Do you mean that you will be doing your development in a cloud? Or that you will be deploying to a cloud. With Rose, there has been nor will there be any testing related to cloud support. As I mentioned above, this is a legacy product and we would not be undergoing any such effort.

I hope this helps your search.

/Charles Rivet - IBM Rational Telecom Industry Manager (and Rose user since v2.7...)
  • Tiger2010
    Tiger2010
    2 Posts

‏2012-11-06T22:42:16Z  
     Hi Tiger2010,

First, let me state that IBM Rational Rose, although still available, is a legacy application that is not seeing further development. IBM Rational Software Architect and IBM Rational Rhapsody are the current IBM Rational products in the modeling space. I will not discuss Rhapsody in this response as it is a systems and embedded modeling and development tool and, from your question, this is more of an IT-oriented discussion. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

That being said, here are some explanations of the tools that I hope will help you.

With regards to you scenario (1):

IBM Rational Rose did not support all the languages you list above. IDL (through CORBA), Visual Basic, C#, and C++ were supported, but not COBOL. Even then, reverse engineering was sometimes finicky for some of these (e.g., CORBA IDL) or required specific versions of tools (e.g., the version of Visual Studio that existed at the time of the Rose release).

In IBM Rational Software Architect (RSA), VB.NET, C#, and C++ are all supported for reverse and forward engineering (through extensions) and CORBA IDL is only supported for code generation. In RSA, COBOL is only supported when RSA is used in collaboration with IBM Rational Developer for Z, which provides the COBOL code generation capability.

For the architecture, modeling, and generation of new applications, i.e., your scenario (2), Rose and RSA both have different levels of support. Rose does support generated Java (J2EE) and .NET applications, but the support provided in RSA for these two targets is much more up-to-date and comprehensive - especially for J2EE and SOA modeling and development. Both Rose and RSA are available on Windows and on a limited set of Unix and Unix-like OS. However, it is fairly simple to develop on one platform and deploy on another, especially when dealing with application servers.

It would also be interesting to understand what you mean by "cloud". Do you mean that you will be doing your development in a cloud? Or that you will be deploying to a cloud. With Rose, there has been nor will there be any testing related to cloud support. As I mentioned above, this is a legacy product and we would not be undergoing any such effort.

I hope this helps your search.

/Charles Rivet - IBM Rational Telecom Industry Manager (and Rose user since v2.7...)
     Hi Charles,

Thanks a lot for clarifying Rose vs. RSA!

One question: "  COBOL is only supported when RSA is used in collaboration with IBM Rational Developer for Z." Can you elaborate on that? Does it mean RSA cannot generate COBOL code but only the UML, which then feeds into Rational Developer for Z to generate the COBOL code.

By "cloud", I meant the readiness to be deployed to the cloud.  

Thanks,

Tuan - CSC Federal Consulting 
  • CharlesRivet
    CharlesRivet
    2 Posts

‏2012-11-07T14:21:38Z  
    • Tiger2010
    • ‏2012-11-06T22:42:16Z
     Hi Charles,

Thanks a lot for clarifying Rose vs. RSA!

One question: "  COBOL is only supported when RSA is used in collaboration with IBM Rational Developer for Z." Can you elaborate on that? Does it mean RSA cannot generate COBOL code but only the UML, which then feeds into Rational Developer for Z to generate the COBOL code.

By "cloud", I meant the readiness to be deployed to the cloud.  

Thanks,

Tuan - CSC Federal Consulting 
     Hi Tuan,

Glad to be of help.

Yes, by itself, RSA will not generate COBOL. However, Rational Developer for Z (RDz) provides a "UML Profiles for COBOL Development" RSA extension that, when installed, lets you develop a COBOL model and generate code that can then be elaborated in RDz.

Here are a couple of links that describes this process in more details:
    • http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/ratdevz/v7r6/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.etools.umlx.cobol.doc/tasks/zapg002.html
    • http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rsahelp/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.rsa_base.nav.doc/topics/t_gen_cobol.html
    The deployment to the cloud is not really a development matter, but we do offer some support with DevOps modeling capabilities in RSA that can integrate with both our Rational Build Forge offering and Tivoli Provisioning Manager - both tools that can help you with deploying to various infrastructures, including clouds.

I hope this further helps you in understanding our offerings.

/Charles Rivet - IBM Rational Telecom Industry Manager