Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-10T19:21:04Z by TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
HyosooLee
HyosooLee
5 Posts

Pinned topic RDZ 8.5.1 Hex Mode editing / findinf

‏2013-04-30T06:37:12Z |

Hi, please let me ask how I can edit / find the hex code in PL1 programs.

I have one sample PL1 program that the value x'FEFE' is moved into the data element AAAA (Please refer to the attached PPT file).

Question1 -

Can I edit this program from the RDZ  client  in edit mode ?   If so, how ?

In case I open this source program from RDz Client with edit mode, error pop-up screen appears with CRRZI0487E and the source code is shown with browse mode.

Question 2 -

Can I execute the find command to find this x'FEFE' from RDZ client ?  If so, how ?

Since the ISPF editor supports this kind of actions (like "Hex On " command or  " Find x'FEFE'  " ) and I have so many PL1 programs like this.

I am accessing the PL1 library on the z/OS server with RDZ 8.5.1.

Attachments

• sumithar
    sumithar
    115 Posts

Re: RDZ 8.5.1 Hex Mode editing / findinf

‏2013-05-01T21:10:27Z  

I too have same question about being able to "find" hex strings in RDz.  In my case I'm looking at a load module and trying to see if timestamp matches the package.

I tried entering

f x'1964'

in the command line (after having opened the member in LPEX editor) but it came back with not found.

But when I execute the same command in ISPF I do get a match.

Thanks!

• HyosooLee
    HyosooLee
    5 Posts

‏2013-05-02T04:41:19Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-05-01T21:10:27Z

I too have same question about being able to "find" hex strings in RDz.  In my case I'm looking at a load module and trying to see if timestamp matches the package.

I tried entering

f x'1964'

in the command line (after having opened the member in LPEX editor) but it came back with not found.

But when I execute the same command in ISPF I do get a match.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am not sure if you have already tried it, but I have one update.

By changing the files' extension from .pli to .tdat in property),  the " system z data editor"  will be enable.  This editor supports Hex on/off command ( the button appears above of the screen).  Then finding option supports both char-base and hex-decimal base.

In my case, since this editor seems not support IBM-CP930, this editor open just browsing mode, I can not edit the data by hex-decimal mode.

I now understand, as far as the host code page is 930, I can not edit the data in hex-decimal base...  That is the significant issue to us.

• sumithar
    sumithar
    115 Posts

‏2013-05-02T13:53:10Z  
    • HyosooLee
    • ‏2013-05-02T04:41:19Z

Hi,

I am not sure if you have already tried it, but I have one update.

By changing the files' extension from .pli to .tdat in property),  the " system z data editor"  will be enable.  This editor supports Hex on/off command ( the button appears above of the screen).  Then finding option supports both char-base and hex-decimal base.

In my case, since this editor seems not support IBM-CP930, this editor open just browsing mode, I can not edit the data by hex-decimal mode.

I now understand, as far as the host code page is 930, I can not edit the data in hex-decimal base...  That is the significant issue to us.

Hi,

If I change a load module dataset to be of type tdat then the data editor refuses to open it citing some kind of format error.  Rather annoyingly it doesn't let me copy the message to the clipboard

CRRZI0749E The dataset cannot be opened because the data format is undefined.

• michaeldedina
    michaeldedina
    11 Posts

‏2013-05-08T19:45:47Z  

Regarding question 1: RDz does support editing files that contain nonprinting control characters such as x'FEFE', as long as the local code page mapping is UTF-8.  You can check this by selecting the file in Remote Systems view, RMB > Properties > Mapping.

There is a restriction however.  The linebreaking codepoints x0D x15 and x25 are not supported for remote DBCS code pages. If your file contains these characters but does not contain any double byte characters, you may want to try setting the remote code page mapping to a single byte code page such as IBM-037.

Regarding question 2: You can search for particular hex codepoints using Remote z/OS Search:

In Remote Systems view, select and RMB on "My Data Sets"
    In the Search Dialog:
            -Choose "Data Set Member"
            -For Content Strings type \xFE
            -Select Regular Expression next to Content Strings
            -Select Existing Filters and My Data Sets (should already be selected)
            -Press Search

Updated on 2013-05-08T21:09:25Z at 2013-05-08T21:09:25Z by michaeldedina
  • TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
    TFQC_Jeremy_Flicker
    13 Posts

‏2013-05-10T19:21:04Z  

Regarding question 1: RDz does support editing files that contain nonprinting control characters such as x'FEFE', as long as the local code page mapping is UTF-8.  You can check this by selecting the file in Remote Systems view, RMB > Properties > Mapping.

There is a restriction however.  The linebreaking codepoints x0D x15 and x25 are not supported for remote DBCS code pages. If your file contains these characters but does not contain any double byte characters, you may want to try setting the remote code page mapping to a single byte code page such as IBM-037.

Regarding question 2: You can search for particular hex codepoints using Remote z/OS Search:

In Remote Systems view, select and RMB on "My Data Sets"
    In the Search Dialog:
            -Choose "Data Set Member"
            -For Content Strings type \xFE
            -Select Regular Expression next to Content Strings
            -Select Existing Filters and My Data Sets (should already be selected)
            -Press Search

Additionally, when using the COBOL Editor or PL/I Editor, you can also use the Find dialog (Ctrl+F) to find characters for certain hex values using the regular expression option.

For COBOL and PL/I Editor, Find/Replace with Regular Expressions enabled, any \xhh escape sequence will be converted from remote codepage to unicode codepage before the search is executed.