• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-04-17T08:55:30Z by SylvainG
SylvainG
SylvainG
3 Posts

Pinned topic DXL Attributes refresh

‏2014-04-15T14:57:34Z |

Hello all,

I have a module with a lot of DXL attributes which are giving figures depending on results given in several inlinks.

My problem is that when I open DOORS and the module, it seems that the DXL attribute is refreshing, thus recalculting everything, which is quite long due to several linked modules to open for read, although I have saved the viewset before leaving DOORS.

I would like, if possible, that the module refreshes DXL attributes only when I ask for it.

Any clues ?

Thank you

Sylvain

• SylvainG
    SylvainG
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DXL Attributes refresh

‏2014-04-17T08:55:30Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2014-04-16T17:18:35Z

Here are some facts:

• Attr-DXL values are not saved in the module.  They are refreshed for your client when you open the module and request the value.
    • My suggestion was to stop if from constantly re-caculating as if it were a layout.
    • I notice that all attr-DXL in the module are indeed interpreted when the module is opened; but they are run when you first request the value.  So you will see intepret errors right away.
    • I'm guessing part of your problem is the attr-DXL itself opens, reads, then closes the linked partner modules.  Thus the open-close happens for each of your objects.  No, just leave those other modules open.

-Louie

Hi Louie,

OK I understand better how it works.

I am leaving the modules open, but the time to open all modules and to go through all links for all objects seems a bit long. I also believe it might be due to distant server and long access time.

i think I will save a setview with the relevant DXL attribute and open it only when needed. Thus when opening the module in its default view, there will be no DXL attribute and no refresh.

Thanks for your help. I will close the thread

Sylvain

• llandale
    llandale
    3035 Posts

‏2014-04-15T16:44:06Z  

In v8 days you would set the attr dxl value to a space, when otherwise there was no value.  Since a null as a trigger for recalculation, setting it to null would cause thrashing.  The following construct would be routine:

• string Results = getResults(obj)
    • if (null Results) //
    • then obj.attrDXLName = " "
    • else obj.attrDXLName = Results

Not sure in v9; am getting odd results.  But the above should work.

-Louie

• SylvainG
    SylvainG
    3 Posts

‏2014-04-16T08:17:55Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2014-04-15T16:44:06Z

In v8 days you would set the attr dxl value to a space, when otherwise there was no value.  Since a null as a trigger for recalculation, setting it to null would cause thrashing.  The following construct would be routine:

• string Results = getResults(obj)
    • if (null Results) //
    • then obj.attrDXLName = " "
    • else obj.attrDXLName = Results

Not sure in v9; am getting odd results.  But the above should work.

-Louie

Hi Louie,

thanks for your reply.

unfortunately, it does not seem to work (on v8, I did not try on v9 yet, we just upgraded this week). None of the dxl values is null, but the dxl attribute still refreshes once I open the module .

regards

Sylvain

• llandale
    llandale
    3035 Posts

‏2014-04-16T17:18:35Z  
    • SylvainG
    • ‏2014-04-16T08:17:55Z

Hi Louie,

thanks for your reply.

unfortunately, it does not seem to work (on v8, I did not try on v9 yet, we just upgraded this week). None of the dxl values is null, but the dxl attribute still refreshes once I open the module .

regards

Sylvain

Here are some facts:

• Attr-DXL values are not saved in the module.  They are refreshed for your client when you open the module and request the value.
    • My suggestion was to stop if from constantly re-caculating as if it were a layout.
    • I notice that all attr-DXL in the module are indeed interpreted when the module is opened; but they are run when you first request the value.  So you will see intepret errors right away.
    • I'm guessing part of your problem is the attr-DXL itself opens, reads, then closes the linked partner modules.  Thus the open-close happens for each of your objects.  No, just leave those other modules open.

-Louie

• SylvainG
    SylvainG
    3 Posts

‏2014-04-17T08:55:30Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2014-04-16T17:18:35Z

Here are some facts:

-Louie

Hi Louie,

OK I understand better how it works.

I am leaving the modules open, but the time to open all modules and to go through all links for all objects seems a bit long. I also believe it might be due to distant server and long access time.

i think I will save a setview with the relevant DXL attribute and open it only when needed. Thus when opening the module in its default view, there will be no DXL attribute and no refresh.

Thanks for your help. I will close the thread

Sylvain