Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-27T11:25:57Z by MarkLeusink
jackkelly20
jackkelly20
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cognos :: Notes/Domino Integration

‏2013-09-18T13:25:12Z |

Our work project requires the use of Cognos as a reporting tool against a number of extensive Notes/Domino databases.  Currently we are required to ensure that reporting is not run until the target Notes data is extracted from Domino onto a MS SQL Server.  We would like to eliminate the intermediate step by direct accessing the data where it is in place on the Domino server.  Is there a way to do this with third party tools?

• OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos :: Notes/Domino Integration

‏2013-09-18T18:18:36Z  in response to jackkelly20

I'm not sure you understand the issue here. Note/Domino is not a record-based SQL relational database. How would you expect a record-based SQL reporting tool (which Cognos BI is) to query a foreign envirnment? Sure there are ODBC drivers, but they don't convert the data into an appropriate structure.

IF there were "third party tools" which would make this available on-the-fly, they would result in such poor performance I doubt anyone would actually use them in a production environment.

If you have a solution which extracts to SQL Server, I suggest you stick with it. There may be ways to optimize it so it runs faster, but that is your best approach in the long run.

Good luck,
    Opher

• MarkLeusink
    MarkLeusink
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos :: Notes/Domino Integration

‏2013-09-27T11:25:57Z  in response to jackkelly20

Maybe this can help you: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/VICTips/entry/connect_to_domino_databases_from_cognos_bi4?lang=en ? 

Haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm having the same requirement as you, so I probably will shortly :-)

Since Cognos can also connect using JDBC, using the JDBC for Domino project from OpenNTF might also be a solution.

Mark

Updated on 2013-09-27T11:52:20Z at 2013-09-27T11:52:20Z by MarkLeusink