Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-07-16T17:22:48Z by Ph.Gregoire
LindaKing
LindaKing
29 Posts

Pinned topic How can I use a server/servers to solve a model?

‏2014-05-30T06:19:53Z | server

Hi, all

My questions may be pretty basic and simple. Please help me if you know the answers.Thank you very much.

I want to use some servers to solve my model. what should I do to connect my PC to the server?

I read the help doc but am still confused.

Do I need to install IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio on the server? If so, which version should be installed?

Should the platform be the same with my PC? (e.g. I use Windows, may I use a Linux server?) 

Can I use some servers together?

About the location of server, what kind of expression is valid?

Any advice will be appreciated. Again, thank you very much.

• AlexFleischer
    AlexFleischer
    2070 Posts

Re: How can I use a server/servers to solve a model?

‏2014-05-30T14:07:36Z  

Hi

my advice is to have a look at

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cosinfoc/v12r6/index.jsp?topic=%2Filog.odms.ide.help%2FOPL_Studio%2Fusroplide%2Ftopics%2Fopl_ide_connect_cplexservers.html

regards

• LindaKing
    LindaKing
    29 Posts

‏2014-05-31T05:56:02Z  

Thank you for your reply.

I read this and want to make sure what I should do on the server.

I mean, I need to install WebSphere Application Server 7.0 and IBM ILOG CPLEX Enterprise Server V12.6.0 on the server. Right?

• AlexFleischer
    AlexFleischer
    2070 Posts

‏2014-05-31T19:58:03Z  
    • LindaKing
    • ‏2014-05-31T05:56:02Z

I mean, I need to install WebSphere Application Server 7.0 and IBM ILOG CPLEX Enterprise Server V12.6.0 on the server. Right?

hi

yes you are right

regards

• LindaKing
    LindaKing
    29 Posts

‏2014-06-02T15:32:21Z  

hi

yes you are right

regards

Thank you.

• modeling
    modeling
    14 Posts

‏2014-06-08T17:48:13Z  
    • LindaKing
    • ‏2014-06-02T15:32:21Z

Thank you.

Hi Alex, 

I have a very similar problem about running OPL from a cluster. You can find details from the following topic https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=bf593384-116a-4ac1-9f2c-4536c4f9b523#a8450f3a-85a8-43aa-8893-5dd6a2034e8f

Many thanks. 

• Ph.Gregoire
    Ph.Gregoire
    14 Posts

‏2014-06-10T09:13:33Z  
    • LindaKing
    • ‏2014-05-31T05:56:02Z

Hello,

In order to run OPL on a server, you will need Cplex Enterprise Server (CES).
    Cplex Enterprise Server can run Cplex or CP code under the control of OPL.
    It is not a pure Cplex Server, the Cplex API that applies is the OPL Script API, documented here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cosinfoc/v12r6/topic/ilog.odms.ide.help/refjsopl/html/intro.html.

You can install CES 12.6 on WAS 8 (FP4) or WAS 7 (FP17).
    There is currently an issue with CES which prevents it from being installed on WAS-CE (the issue has been identified and can be circumvented if need be, but it requires a bit of guidance)

Once CES is installed on the server, to run OPL code on it, you will need to use CplexServerFactory http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/SSSA5P_12.6.0/ilog.odms.server.help/refjavaces/html/com/ibm/ilog/optim/server/client/CplexServerFactory.html to create a CplexServer object and then follow instructions in the javadoc at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cosinfoc/v12r6/topic/ilog.odms.server.help/refjavaces/html/com/ibm/ilog/optim/server/client/CplexServer.html, to deploy an 'application' made of OPL code+OPL data, then execute it on the server.

Ph.Gregoire - IBM SWG, Decision Optimization Center L3

Updated on 2014-06-10T09:24:36Z at 2014-06-10T09:24:36Z by Ph.Gregoire
  • Ph.Gregoire
    Ph.Gregoire
    14 Posts

‏2014-06-10T09:20:09Z  

BTW, there is a tutorial "Get started with IBM ILOG CPLEX Enterprise Server" at

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/co-ind-ilog-cplex/index.html?ca=drs

Updated on 2014-06-10T09:24:25Z at 2014-06-10T09:24:25Z by Ph.Gregoire
  • LindaKing
    LindaKing
    29 Posts

‏2014-06-17T08:39:34Z  

BTW, there is a tutorial "Get started with IBM ILOG CPLEX Enterprise Server" at

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/co-ind-ilog-cplex/index.html?ca=drs

Thank you very much for your reply.

I tried to install WAS on a Ubuntu server and I found IBM Installation Manager was recommended before the installation of WAS. So I installed IIM successfully on the server. But I meet a problem when I install WAS. There is no GUI on the server and the instructions for IIM are based on GUI. 

Is there any instruction for command line based installation of WAS? Please give my a sign.

Thanks again.

• Ph.Gregoire
    Ph.Gregoire
    14 Posts

‏2014-06-17T10:01:53Z  
    • LindaKing
    • ‏2014-06-17T08:39:34Z

Thank you very much for your reply.

I tried to install WAS on a Ubuntu server and I found IBM Installation Manager was recommended before the installation of WAS. So I installed IIM successfully on the server. But I meet a problem when I install WAS. There is no GUI on the server and the instructions for IIM are based on GUI. 

Is there any instruction for command line based installation of WAS? Please give my a sign.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Please note that Ubuntu is not part of the supported linux servers for Cplex Enterprise Server, we support RHEL or Suse, 64 bit editions.

WAS can be installed using a response file and the command-line version of IIM, called imcl.
    There is a sample response file with instructions imbedded in the comments.

Typically, once you have unzipped the 4 WAS zips in a directory, you get a was_install.xml file that can be modified and used, you need to change lines such as <repository location='XXX'/>, and the installLocation and eclipseLocation attributes in the <profile> tag

One thing to beware is the bitness of WAS, which by default is 32, need to make sure to change to 64 (i.e. use com.ibm.sdk.6_64bit and not com.ibm.sdk.6_32bit in the features= list)

• LindaKing
    LindaKing
    29 Posts

‏2014-06-17T14:44:02Z  

Hello,

Please note that Ubuntu is not part of the supported linux servers for Cplex Enterprise Server, we support RHEL or Suse, 64 bit editions.

WAS can be installed using a response file and the command-line version of IIM, called imcl.
    There is a sample response file with instructions imbedded in the comments.

Typically, once you have unzipped the 4 WAS zips in a directory, you get a was_install.xml file that can be modified and used, you need to change lines such as <repository location='XXX'/>, and the installLocation and eclipseLocation attributes in the <profile> tag

One thing to beware is the bitness of WAS, which by default is 32, need to make sure to change to 64 (i.e. use com.ibm.sdk.6_64bit and not com.ibm.sdk.6_32bit in the features= list)

Hello,

If Ubuntu server is not supported, does it mean that I cannot install CES?

Sorry, I should check the detailed system requirement carefully.

Yes, I found the command-line version of IIM, the imcl. But when I tried to find installer-package:

/opt/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/tools$ ./imcl listAvailablePackages -repositories http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/com.ibm.websphere.BASE.v85

I got:

-bash: ./imcl: Permission denied

The WAS installation 

/tmp/WAS85$ ls
    Copyright.txt     lafiles                                                   responsefiles                        WLP
    disk1                 readme                                                WAS_V8.5_1_OF_3.zip
    disk2                 Remote_Installation_Tool_for_IBM_i  WAS_V8.5_2_OF_3.zip
    disk3                 repository.config                                  WAS_V8.5_3_OF_3.zip

There is no was_install.xml file as you said. Did I miss some .zip file?

Thank you very much.

Updated on 2014-06-17T15:19:26Z at 2014-06-17T15:19:26Z by LindaKing
  • Ph.Gregoire
    Ph.Gregoire
    14 Posts

‏2014-07-16T17:22:48Z  
    • LindaKing
    • ‏2014-06-17T14:44:02Z

Hello,

If Ubuntu server is not supported, does it mean that I cannot install CES?

Sorry, I should check the detailed system requirement carefully.

Yes, I found the command-line version of IIM, the imcl. But when I tried to find installer-package:

/opt/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/tools$ ./imcl listAvailablePackages -repositories http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/com.ibm.websphere.BASE.v85

I got:

-bash: ./imcl: Permission denied

The WAS installation 

/tmp/WAS85$ ls
    Copyright.txt     lafiles                                                   responsefiles                        WLP
    disk1                 readme                                                WAS_V8.5_1_OF_3.zip
    disk2                 Remote_Installation_Tool_for_IBM_i  WAS_V8.5_2_OF_3.zip
    disk3                 repository.config                                  WAS_V8.5_3_OF_3.zip

There is no was_install.xml file as you said. Did I miss some .zip file?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

You do not have execution rights for imcl.

You should probably ask an admin to troubleshoot your installation for you and setup your account so that you have access (to this and all required software)

The example installation response files are in the responsefiles subdirectory.

PhG