Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-12-04T21:09:17Z by ryanrupp
Chinna2787
Chinna2787
15 Posts

Pinned topic Application Upgrade Script & Single Package Method

‏2017-11-30T03:18:18Z |

Hi, We are upgrading the application from 10.2 to 10.5.2 with platform 3.5.2.3. we have upgraded the platform to 3.5.2.3 and started upgrading the application from 10.2 to 10.5.2 in incremental order (10.3, 10.3.1..... till 10.5.2). To minimize the outage and complexity during production implementation, we have been suggested to take a final OM Package after completing the 10.5.2 deployment and apply all the customizations which might have been impacted with the upgrade. This final OM Package will contain all the changes from 10.2 to 10.5.2. Our question is on the Patch helpers where can we run all the patch helpers (from 10.3 to 10.5.2 in order) after importing the final OM Package?

Also we are running the Varchar to Numeric script before importing the app. upgrade packages. This script is taking long time (it took almost a day in 2 test environments) but when we tried in another environment its running for more than 2 days and still didn't get executed. Is it normal for this script to run like that or will it be an issue? There are no differences between the environments.

Your suggestions/solution is highly appreciated.

• AK88
    AK88
    105 Posts

Re: Application Upgrade Script & Single Package Method

‏2017-12-01T20:07:13Z  

I wouldn't recommend doing the upgrade in one package. Usually it ends up being quite large and it will cause issues. The IBM recommended way is to perform each OM, then run the patch helpers. Once you have upgraded the OOB OM packages, you can have one OM which has your custom objects.

As for the varchar > numeric script, what is your database, how large is it and how many BO's do you have? Based on what I saw from the script, it shouldn't be taking anywhere near a day to complete.

• Chinna2787
    Chinna2787
    15 Posts

‏2017-12-01T20:26:29Z  

Thanks for the response AK. Since we are upgrading 9 versions from 10.2 to 10.5.2, the outage time will be longer if we do one by one but if its the best way, we will go with it. All our custom objects have a prefix, So can we take an OM Package of all the objects (queries, workflows, forms, list, Business Objects) and apply them at the end of upgrade? Also in these versions, only upgrade to 10.4 is taking more time (Close to 1.5 to 2 days) where as other versions are taking 6 to 8 hours which is fine. Is there a way to minimize the time taken for importing the 10.4 package?

On the Varchar script, it seems there was an issue with DB. When we executed again it took around 23 hours to complete it (Same amount of time it took in other test environments). So we should be good with that.

• ryanrupp
    ryanrupp
    6 Posts

‏2017-12-04T18:48:45Z  

Thanks for the response AK. Since we are upgrading 9 versions from 10.2 to 10.5.2, the outage time will be longer if we do one by one but if its the best way, we will go with it. All our custom objects have a prefix, So can we take an OM Package of all the objects (queries, workflows, forms, list, Business Objects) and apply them at the end of upgrade? Also in these versions, only upgrade to 10.4 is taking more time (Close to 1.5 to 2 days) where as other versions are taking 6 to 8 hours which is fine. Is there a way to minimize the time taken for importing the 10.4 package?

On the Varchar script, it seems there was an issue with DB. When we executed again it took around 23 hours to complete it (Same amount of time it took in other test environments). So we should be good with that.

I have a question about this in another thread, and have also submitted a RFE asking for a way that all of this can be sped up.  The downtime to move from that many version back is way too long, but due to the complexity of performing an application upgrade, we tend to put that off as long as possible, which increases the pain.  

• Chinna2787
    Chinna2787
    15 Posts

‏2017-12-04T20:05:51Z  
    • ryanrupp
    • ‏2017-12-04T18:48:45Z

I have a question about this in another thread, and have also submitted a RFE asking for a way that all of this can be sped up.  The downtime to move from that many version back is way too long, but due to the complexity of performing an application upgrade, we tend to put that off as long as possible, which increases the pain.  

Thanks Ryan. Can you post the thread name so that I can check on that and do you know the best way to reduce the 10.4 upgrade timing? I could see all that all the other versions are taking 6 to 8 hours but this one is taking days to complete.

• ryanrupp
    ryanrupp
    6 Posts

‏2017-12-04T21:09:17Z  

Thanks Ryan. Can you post the thread name so that I can check on that and do you know the best way to reduce the 10.4 upgrade timing? I could see all that all the other versions are taking 6 to 8 hours but this one is taking days to complete.

It's the topic right below this in the forum regarding Oracle cursors:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=85ba6f3f-b1ed-49ae-95d3-90a2f29cb93b&ps=25

I cannot say about the scripts to get to 10.4, as we started out using Tririga with 10.4.2.  Our scripts are taking about 2-3 hours each, but that is on new hardware.  I would suggest looking at all of the excellent tuning information that is out there for application servers/databases with Tririga.