Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-01-22T13:58:00Z by MerlinUK
Adelgaard Johan
Adelgaard Johan
8 Posts

Pinned topic Harmony & the SE Tool Kit

‏2017-03-22T08:18:06Z | architecture design doors mbe mbse mdd rational requirements rhapsody

Harmony/SE is a well established methodology for Systems Engineering which leverages the execution capabilities of IBM Rational Rhapsody.

Key objectives of Harmony for Systems Engineering are:
• Identification and derivation of required system functions
• Identification of associated system modes and states
• Allocation of the identified system functions and modes/states to a subsystem structure
With regard to modeling, these objectives imply a top-down approach on a high level of abstraction. The main emphasis is on the identification and allocation of a needed functionality and state-based behavior, rather than on the details of its functional behavior.

The Systems Engineering Toolkit  is installed automatically as part of the Harmony SE profile and contains a wealth of useful features for automating the building and checking of systems engineering models. http://merlinscave.info/Merlins_Cave/Tutorials/Entries/2017/2/7_SE-Toolkit_Handbook.html

If you have not looked at this before I recommend to do so and get familiar with the assets.

Best Regards,

Johan Adelgaard - Offering Manager - Rhapsody

johan.adelgaard@se.ibm.com

• BalajiPSK
    BalajiPSK
    20 Posts

Re: Harmony & the SE Tool Kit

‏2017-07-25T10:01:15Z  

Hi Johan,

Is the code for the Harmony SE toolkit an open source? I need to work on specialized items for my project and hence, I cannot use the Harmony SE helpers as it is; however, I would by and large like to do what the Harmony toolkit is doing. If I get hold of the source code, then it would be 70% reuse.

Kindly let me know. Thank you.

Regards,

Balaji

• MerlinUK
    MerlinUK
    395 Posts

‏2017-07-25T12:58:24Z  
    • BalajiPSK
    • ‏2017-07-25T10:01:15Z

Hi Johan,

Is the code for the Harmony SE toolkit an open source? I need to work on specialized items for my project and hence, I cannot use the Harmony SE helpers as it is; however, I would by and large like to do what the Harmony toolkit is doing. If I get hold of the source code, then it would be 70% reuse.

Kindly let me know. Thank you.

Regards,

Balaji

Unfortunately no as it's part of the Rhapsody installation. However I've authored a free course on Watson IoT Academy to get you started with writing helpers: https://www.iot-academy.info/index.php?option=com_jabuilder&view=page&id=17&Itemid=194&lang=en-us#tag-Rhapsody

There is also another one on Profiling and Automation in the same area.

• LakshmeshaGV
    LakshmeshaGV
    3 Posts

‏2018-01-22T12:10:03Z  

Hallo Andy,

We are using Harmony SE tool in our project. We are generating the Sequence Diagram from Activity Diagram using the Harmony SE tool.  After generation of the sequence diagrams we were tracing the relationship between "Activity" in Activity Diagram, "Message" in Sequence Diagram and corresponding "Operation"/"Event". We observed few things related to auto generated model elements.

1. No direct relation exists between "Activity" and "Message". We were expecting some relationship to be shown there. If we change the name of "Activity" at sometime in future, we cannot trace it down the line.  

2. Descriptions are not copied from "Activity" in AD to "Message" in SD. But, descriptions are copied from "Activity" to "Operations" which are not "Events".

Is there any way that we can configure the tool to fix the above items.

Best Regards,

Lakshmesha

• MerlinUK
    MerlinUK
    395 Posts

‏2018-01-22T13:58:00Z  

Hallo Andy,

We are using Harmony SE tool in our project. We are generating the Sequence Diagram from Activity Diagram using the Harmony SE tool.  After generation of the sequence diagrams we were tracing the relationship between "Activity" in Activity Diagram, "Message" in Sequence Diagram and corresponding "Operation"/"Event". We observed few things related to auto generated model elements.

1. No direct relation exists between "Activity" and "Message". We were expecting some relationship to be shown there. If we change the name of "Activity" at sometime in future, we cannot trace it down the line.  

2. Descriptions are not copied from "Activity" in AD to "Message" in SD. But, descriptions are copied from "Activity" to "Operations" which are not "Events".

Is there any way that we can configure the tool to fix the above items.

Best Regards,

Lakshmesha

I think by Activity you mean Action ?

There is a property SE Toolkit :: GenerateSD :: AddTraceabilityFromActionsToOperations

Yes Descriptions may be copied from Actions to Operations

There is detailed guidance on how the toolkit works here: http://merlinscave.info/Merlins_Cave/Tutorials/Entries/2017/2/7_SE-Toolkit_Handbook.html

Cheers

Andy