• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-04T03:46:09Z by Dave-Robinson
cm2006
cm2006
264 Posts

Pinned topic Setting up a new WAN server

‏2014-08-03T14:25:12Z |

Hello,

So far we work with one site (CC VOB server and native Windows \Linux clients).

Now we have a new site with new employees, and I plan to setup a new WAN server to let them use CCRC or CTE. We tried to use snapshot views and the performance is very bad (not intended for that at all).

I plan to install the new WAN server on a different (virtualized) host and I have doubts where would be the best place to locate this new WAN server: on the main site (close to the VOB server) or on the new site (close to the developers who use CCRC \CTE)?

What should be my considerations?

We use v8.0.1 server and clients.

The bandwidth is quite good - if there's a minimal requirement you know, please let me know.

Thank you

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Setting up a new WAN server

‏2014-08-04T03:10:20Z  

The WAN server is designed to support clients that a widely distributed, but the WAN server itself needs to remain close to the VOB server(s).

The network traffic between the WAN server and the VOB server is very similar to that between a "standard ClearCase client with locally hosted snapshot view" and the VOB server.  So placing the WAN server away from the VOB server and close to the CTE clients is likely to have the same performance issues that you saw when trialling snapshot views.

• Jim Burke
    Jim Burke
    17 Posts

‏2014-08-04T00:11:11Z  

Hi

The link below provides information on administering the CCRC WAN server:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v8r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.clearcase.cc_admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_ccrc_wan_admin.htm

Thanks

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts

‏2014-08-04T03:10:20Z  

The WAN server is designed to support clients that a widely distributed, but the WAN server itself needs to remain close to the VOB server(s).

The network traffic between the WAN server and the VOB server is very similar to that between a "standard ClearCase client with locally hosted snapshot view" and the VOB server.  So placing the WAN server away from the VOB server and close to the CTE clients is likely to have the same performance issues that you saw when trialling snapshot views.

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts

‏2014-08-04T03:46:09Z  

BTW. Be cautious / conservative about setting performance expectations with the new user community.

If they demand the same performance seen by the existing LAN community, you'll need to provide a local VOB server, and upgrade to Rational ClearCase MultiSite, at significantly increased license cost.

WAN Server provides a compromise solution.

Also, you should consider signing up for the "Automatic Views" beta program announced last month (great timing for you!)

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=82e4f938-c94c-4029-8733-edaae273221f&ps=25