• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-20T15:03:19Z by John_Haldeman
vindal0012
vindal0012
13 Posts

Pinned topic How to stop stap, gim process temporarily

‏2013-09-17T08:13:06Z |

Hi all,

Anyone can tell me how to stop the STAP and GIM process in my DB server? I installed Guardium V9 in Red Hat 6.4 with Oracle 11g XE. Guardium is working fine but upon checking the /etc/inittab, I do not see the following lines:

utap:2345:respawn:/usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guard_stap /usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guard_tap.ini

gim:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/perl /usr/local/guardium/modules/GIM/9.0.0_r48064_1-1375162487/gim_client.pl

gsvr:2345:respawn:/usr/local/guardium/modules/perl /usr/local/guardium/modules/SUPERVISOR/9.0.0_r48064_1-1375162489/guard_supervisor

I tried doing this:

1) Add the above lines in /etc/inittab

2) comment out the lines by putting #

3) init q

But it doesn't work. I tried init 3 as well. Now, I tried rebooting the server, what happens that gim and gsvr line suddenly disappears but the utap line remains in the /etc/inittab.

Thanks in advance!

• Adem_Celtik
    Adem_Celtik
    17 Posts

Re: How to stop stap, gim process temporarily

‏2013-09-18T08:33:59Z  

Hi Vindal,

You should follow the steps below.

1)vi /etc/inittab

2) comment out the lines (gim , gsvr, utap)  by putting #

3) ps -ef | grep stap and ps -ef | grep gim , ps -ef | grep utap

4) kill processes via "kill process number"

5) control them whether they were stopped or not ( ps -ef | grep stap , ps -ef | grep gim , ... )

• 1XWY_TS_Teh
    1XWY_TS_Teh
    210 Posts

‏2013-09-18T11:03:51Z  

Hi, if you are using GIM installation, you should not have utap in /etc/inittab. Do you mean everything is working fine and you can monitor the SQL transactions except you do not see gim and gsvr in /etc/inittab?

Did the GIM client active in Collector, if you check at the Process Monitoring? 

• vindal0012
    vindal0012
    13 Posts

‏2013-09-19T02:24:24Z  

Hi, if you are using GIM installation, you should not have utap in /etc/inittab. Do you mean everything is working fine and you can monitor the SQL transactions except you do not see gim and gsvr in /etc/inittab?

Did the GIM client active in Collector, if you check at the Process Monitoring? 

Hi, yes. The Guardium is working fine and I can monitor the SQL transactions. STAP control and Process Monitoring are all green. My objective is just to stop the STAP and other Guardium process in the DB server.  I only plan to stop the STAP process so I can perform additional functions.

• vindal0012
    vindal0012
    13 Posts

‏2013-09-19T02:24:54Z  

Hi Vindal,

You should follow the steps below.

1)vi /etc/inittab

2) comment out the lines (gim , gsvr, utap)  by putting #

3) ps -ef | grep stap and ps -ef | grep gim , ps -ef | grep utap

4) kill processes via "kill process number"

5) control them whether they were stopped or not ( ps -ef | grep stap , ps -ef | grep gim , ... )

Tried every step you suggested, didn't workin in my case but thanks for the additional info :)

• John_Haldeman
    John_Haldeman
    28 Posts

‏2013-09-20T15:03:19Z  

Hi, yes. The Guardium is working fine and I can monitor the SQL transactions. STAP control and Process Monitoring are all green. My objective is just to stop the STAP and other Guardium process in the DB server.  I only plan to stop the STAP process so I can perform additional functions.

Guardium on RHEL 6 is no longer using inittab. It uses the standard RHEL services interface instead. See if these commands work:

stop gim

stop gsvr

(and the following I think only in non-GIM environments):

stop utap