Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-23T15:43:23Z by BKDowning
Chris_in_NY
Chris_in_NY
46 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Hand Held Device Support

‏2013-10-16T14:13:32Z |

We have been live with Maximo 7.5 for about 4 months now, and we want to investigate the 

use of hand held devices (Apple, Android, MS). Is anyone using these, and if so what devices and your experiences.

What software did you buy to get the mobile to work ? I know Maximo has mobile software, but I also know there are other vendors with software they claim works.  We will need the software for the handhelds to store the maximo updates and then apply the updates when they can connect to our network.

• dhohnstein
    dhohnstein
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Hand Held Device Support

‏2013-10-17T19:25:26Z  in response to Chris_in_NY

We've used Syclo SMART Mobile Work Manager & Inventory Manager for a number of years.  We're currently on 7.1.  The platform Syclo is built on (Agentry) is feature rich.  The product they deliver build on the Agentry platform (IM or WM) has a lot of issues out of the box.  We're currently investigating switching to the IBM mobile product in place of Syclo due to some major shortcomings (our opinion) of the software.

IBM is in process of re-architecting their mobile product using ?WorkLight?  We're hoping that goes well and might be an option in the future.  

• dhohnstein
    dhohnstein
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-17T19:27:40Z  in response to Chris_in_NY

I'd also add that we use Symbol devices.  MC55s and MC9090s.  With both Syclo and IBM Mobile they perform very slowly.  I'd hightly suggest using a mobile device running something other than Windows Mobile and something spec'd a lot better than those two devices.  Don't overlook the Mobile Device Management aspect of your implementation.  The lack of an ability to remotely administer and handle issues when they arise in the field has been a major thorn in our side.

• swkim90049
      swkim90049
      206 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-17T22:13:00Z  in response to dhohnstein

I've seen demonstrations of Interloc that look very nice on the iOS platform. They really designed it with the mobile platform in mind. The app is an EAR that you launch alongside maximo.ear

Other vendors you might look at are EZMaxMobile and DataSplice.

• Chris_in_NY
    Chris_in_NY
    46 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-21T20:27:50Z  in response to Chris_in_NY

Thanks for the responses.

I'll try to update this as we move forward.

Today we heard about the IBM products: Maximo Mobile and Maximo Everywhere.

Both are gui presentations of just a portion of maximo (assets, inventory, Work Order).

In Q1 of 2014 Maximo Everywhere will have a store and sync feature for devices out in the field

that do not have access to wifi.

• SASHULL
      SASHULL
      198 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-22T19:50:05Z  in response to Chris_in_NY

Chris,

Maximo Everywhere is indeed their new mobile platform built on Worklight and will support disconnected devices but this can be achieved through their current Maximo Mobile or third party vendor solutions such as Datasplice, Syclo, etc. Also, just to make sure it's clear based on your response above, it won't be like running a full version of Maximo it will still be limited functionality (IE key areas like Work Management) like the current mobile solutions. Over time, I expect the list of mobile apps to grow to support a large variety of functions (more so than currently possible through IBM solutions) but this will take time to build up.

• BKDowning
        BKDowning
        13 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-23T15:43:23Z  in response to SASHULL

Not to bust chops on anyone (because the names ARE confusing,) but for the record the names of IBM's Mobile products are IBM Mobile Maximo Suite (IBM Mobile Work Management, IBM Mobile Inventory Management, and IBM Mobile Asset Management), then we have Maximo Everyplace, and being released soon Maximo Anywhere.

To be sure.. with our SameTime product we could end up with SomeWhereAnyTime maybe!  lol  j.k.  Hope this helps and that y'all take it in fun.