3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-05T16:53:54Z by GeneCobb
13 Posts

Pinned topic Sample Data/Data Profiling (File Not Found)

‏2013-07-22T20:43:53Z |

I created the metadata and chose one part naming, however, didn't specify a library on the initial screen.  However, I did choose a library name from the list where this table resides.  Then i pressed create synonym.  At that point, i wanted to profile or sample the data and got MACKADTL in *libl not found.

At that point, tried to create a report and grabbed a field and dragged it over to the right and a value appeared.  I'm wondering how the New Report found data but sampling could not.  Was it developed by smarter people than the group that did the sampling piece?  :)

Any thought?  Thx.

  • ksteinbrink
    137 Posts

    Re: Sample Data/Data Profiling (File Not Found)

    ‏2013-07-24T04:52:56Z  in response to Josh49546

    Hi Josh,

    If I specify one part naming and do not either have the library in my library list or have a dynamic runtime environment active with the library, then I get 'file not found' for both the sampling and the new report  preview.    Are you using the new dynamic runtime environment feature?




  • Josh49546
    13 Posts

    Re: Sample Data/Data Profiling (File Not Found)

    ‏2013-09-05T12:43:32Z  in response to Josh49546

    Kathy thanks so much for the input.  Sorry for the delayed thank you.  For some reason when accessing the link to the forum, i was getting the message saying under development try later or something like that.  After a couple weeks, i reached out to Gene and he said the site was re-directed.  So now i'm back.

    I do use the dynamic runtime feature, however, I'm very disapointed with the lack of intuitiveness at the point of creating a synonym.  For example, I never know where or not I should supply the library name on the create screen1 when I'm going to select one-part naming on screen2.  I keep thinking that if I hardcode the library name on screen 1 then it will override the one-part naming on screen2.  in contrast, I feel like if I leave the library name blank on screen 1 and check the one-part naming on screen 2 that later when running sample data or something it doesn't find the data even though I used the Run Time Environment to select the library.  VERY Confusing.  

    At any rate thanks again for replying and sorry for delayed thank you. 





    • GeneCobb
      371 Posts

      Re: Sample Data/Data Profiling (File Not Found)

      ‏2013-09-05T16:53:54Z  in response to Josh49546

      Josh - I know I partially addressed some of your concerns in the other thread, but want to re-iterate them here for others to see.

      When you create a synonym, you need to point it at a specific file so that the file and field descriptions can be extracted from the database catalogs and stored in the synonym. As such, you need to specify/select one of the libraries where the file is located. This is similar to when you compile an RPG program with F specs - that file needs to be located (either explicitly or in *LIBL). For Web Query we require you to specify an explicit library rwhen the synonym is created so that we can find and extract this information.

      Now, once the synonym is created, we have the file and field format information. If you specified one-part naming, you are simply telling Web Query that  when a query is run, rely on *LIBL to find the correct file.

      RTE's - This stands for dynamic Runtime Environments. This is a new feature that was designed for runtime users to be able to quickly and easily change their library lists from the BI Portal (similar to the way many application change the library list from a menu option). So a user could switch from running a report over one set of customers to another (data located in different libraries).  It was really not designed for Web Query admins or developers. The thinking here was that admins/developers doing development and testing didn't have the same dynamic requirement to switch libraries like an end user does. So for those profiles, using the library list in user's job description would suffice (assuming one of the libraries contained the files being queried). 
      Looking back, maybe this was wrong. In any case, we are looking at ways to support RTE's from these admin and development interfaces. But its a completely different code path so the interfaces are different - so more research and testing is required for this.

      Another option is to turn off one-part naming during development (and turn it on when reports are published to your end users). I don't really like this because it does require you to remember to do this every time.

      I hope this helps somewhat. Thanks.