Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-20T22:59:13Z by CarlD
CarlD
CarlD
46 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Custom xmlaccess script on publish

‏2013-11-20T18:33:36Z |

I need to add some custom instructions to the .deployment/publishPortlets.xml and I assumed that I could do that in publishPortlets.xml.8.0.template but it appears that this doesn't work. Any suggestions on how to proceed? What is publishPortlets.xml.8.0.template used for anyways?

Thanks. Carl.

• kevintap
    kevintap
    746 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Custom xmlaccess script on publish

‏2013-11-20T18:53:26Z  in response to CarlD

Hi Carl,

The publishPortltes.xml.8.0.template and publishPortlets.xml.template files are used by the Designer's publish action to build the XML access script that is run on the portal server to register the portlets in your project with the portal.  (If you have selected the option in the publish configuration to also create test portal pages, the script will also create portal pages and place your portlets on those pages.)  The one with the "8.0" in its name is used for Portal 8, while the one without is used for all previous versions of Portal.  These files are template files and are not necessarily used as-is to create the XML access script.  The Designer's publish action extracts portions of the template to copy and use in generating the script that is run.  Therefore, depending on what you want to add to this, the additions may not get copied into the actual generated script.

Modifying these template files isn't necessarily recommended as a best practice.  These template files can be overwritten during a project upgrade or fixpack installation, in which case you would lose your customizations and need to manually merge your modifications.

Perhaps if you can describe what your goal is here, we can recommend something to help.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.

• CarlD
    CarlD
    46 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Custom xmlaccess script on publish

‏2013-11-20T22:59:13Z  in response to CarlD

I was trying to set portlet permissions and unique names but it turns out that those things don't need to be done with every publish. I decided to run those scripts on their own.