Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-08T15:42:28Z by jcdelmo
Harshix
Harshix
40 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Usage of RAA in Business Rule Mining?

‏2013-10-04T19:20:33Z |

I have a requirement to identify business rules across a set of application programs. My research around RAA shows it as a candidate for what I can use to serve my purpose. In this regard, I have gone through the documentation in Help menu and the attachement to understand that  the business terms and term property have to be identified, assigned and related to business rules.

Here, I have few questions:

1) Do I have to identify and assign the terms and properties across all the application source in order to create a process model?

2) If I define a business rule with all its terms and properties, can RAA show me all other places where the rule exits?

3) Is it possible for RAA to identify new business rules? i.e. it should suggest unique and potential business rules in application source. I can see the blue highlights in the application source in RAA but it is just all the IF conditions.

Thanks.

Updated on 2013-10-08T05:38:06Z at 2013-10-08T05:38:06Z by Harshix
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    342 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Usage of RAA in Business Rule Mining?

‏2013-10-07T15:21:34Z  in response to Harshix

1)  No, the PROCESS MODEL asset does not depend on TERM or TERM PROPERTY assets.

2)  No, it can show you all the declarations and references to any TERM or TERM PROPERTY asset used in the RULE asset, and any synonyms of those TERM and TERM property assets.

3)  RAA does not identify business rules.  It's BRM functionality is used to identify source code that may be of interest (as rules) by locating all statements that a) are involved with a TERM,  b) invovled with a TERM PROPERTY  or c) involved with statements defined as interesting (IF, EVALAUTE, MERGE, SORT as specified in the Common.cfg file).  

It does not (and no tool does) automatically find rules -- it is a tool to assist the mining of rules in legacy assets, specifically COBOL.

• Harshix
      Harshix
      40 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T05:30:10Z  in response to jcdelmo

Thank you for your response.

Will appreciate your help on Q(1) again. The context of my question (1) is that the Process Model is a collection of Business Rules. So in order to create one BR (or a set of Business Rules) do I have to relate the corresponding statements in all the places (across programs) to each Business Rule?

• jcdelmo
        jcdelmo
        342 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T15:42:28Z  in response to Harshix

Are you discussing the RAA Process Model asset -- or process model's in general?    I ask because the RAA process model asset is a collection of  Activity asset(s) -- which may collect sub-activity asset(s).   These activity assets (or tasks) can be related to RULE, BATCH JOB or TRANSACTION assets.

If that is the case, than yes -- to get a complete picture one would have to related the RULE to all the implementations (statements).   There, currently, is no short-cut link to assist in this.   But we have considered it.