Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-19T08:36:22Z by lbjerges
lbjerges
lbjerges
32 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic V5.1 NOLOAD (debug)

‏2013-05-13T17:48:40Z |

In the available documentation it is stated that there will be a NOLOAD part of the object module containing the debugging information. If I have understood it correctly this implies the usage of Program Objects (and PDS/E libraries).

Now, the question: Will this be the only way to implement the source support in debugging?

The reason I ask is that in our experience there has, at least historically, been some performance issues with PDS/E in a on-line IMS environment which is what we run, at least compared to "old school" pds. We also implement the Edge load library reading utility which, from what I understand does not support PDS/E.

The long and the short of it is (call me nostalgic) that if PDS/Es are the only way to go when in need of debugging then we will not be very happy I would think.

Another thing of interest, that I forgot yesterday, is the implication on Fault Analyzer. Will the above information suffice as source level support when viewing an abend?

Regards Lars

Updated on 2013-05-14T08:06:52Z at 2013-05-14T08:06:52Z by lbjerges
  • Tom.Ross
    Tom.Ross
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: V5.1 NOLOAD (debug)

‏2013-05-16T18:13:59Z  in response to lbjerges

Separate from debugging, all executables for Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V5.1 will be PROGRAM OBJECTS (no load modules) and must be stored in PDSE.  It does not matter if you compile with TEST or NOTEST, PDSEs are a new requirement.  Most problems with PDSEs are long in the past at this point. Fault Analyzer, Debug Tool, CEEDUMP and Application Performance Analyzer will all use the new DWARF debugging information.

Tom

• lbjerges
      lbjerges
      32 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: V5.1 NOLOAD (debug)

‏2013-05-19T08:36:22Z  in response to Tom.Ross

Ok, so that´s what I was expecting. Thank you for the clarification.

Now, to pursue the upgrade workload analysis:

• For the support tools (FA, Debug Tool, APA et al) will they be "backwards compatible" regarding source support (I think I can predict the answer but I would like to have it in writing anyway)?
      • Will there be any restictions, other than those stated in the thread https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=a52334b7-e640-43c5-ba7e-a897c609dcb2 regarding e.g.
        • Inter programming communication (dynamic call/DLLs introduced)?
        • Load library concatenation (PDS vs. PDS/E)?
        • Any other interesting thing to be noted?

Regards Lars