Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2015-01-20T00:32:53Z by benatnordisk
HajoEhlers
HajoEhlers
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic PowerKVM & 3rd party software ( GPFS,CEPH)

‏2014-07-29T13:33:38Z |

Hi,

some time ago i build a system with SLES , KVM and using GPFS as the underlying storage system. Worked fine.

Thus the question: Is PowerKVM build from a certain distro and is there a way to install 3rd party software like GPFS or CEPH to enhance my "storage" options. Otherwise i would need to build my "own" PowerKVM distr ;-(

Tia

Hajo

• gcorneau
    gcorneau
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: PowerKVM & 3rd party software ( GPFS,CEPH)

‏2014-07-29T22:17:24Z  in response to HajoEhlers

PowerKVM is IBM's own build (think similar to HMC) and at the moment, there is no support for GPFS in the host OS (PowerKVM).

• HajoEhlers
      HajoEhlers
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-07-30T08:23:00Z  in response to gcorneau

Thx for the info. I hope that PowerKVM will not suffer the same problems - lack of support and enhancements - as the VIO. At least its good to know that PowerKVM is not Computer Center ready.

Hajo

• Bill_Buros
        Bill_Buros
        134 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-08-05T12:20:25Z  in response to HajoEhlers

I think the KVM on Power approach and story will be fundamentally different in this case.

The KVM pieces are open-sourced.   KVM on Power is actively being developed, extended, and enhanced.     As an example, see last month's contributions and search for KVM.    Also, scan the list of contributors, see who's playing, it's not *just* IBM.

https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2014-July/thread.html

PowerKVM was introduced by IBM simply to seed and jump-start the initial work and focus.     The initial introduction of the KVM on Power had some limitations, both on the development side and what could be tested in the timeframe coincident with the launch of POWER8.

It is recognized that the ability to install 3rd party additions is required - you bring up a good and valid point.

The other aspect to keep in mind is OpenPOWER.    With KVM, and the POWER8 firmware, and Linux in general all open-source, the future possibilities are very encouraging and active.   

Bill

• jscheel
    jscheel
    61 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-08-11T10:42:07Z  in response to HajoEhlers

I'm intrigued by this request.  What features of GPFS did you find helpful in your x86 explorations with KVM?  Was there a particular problem it solved for you or a benefit it provided?

I'm always looking for good extensions to our PowerKVM product and would appreciate your insight.

-Jeff

P.S. Don't worry, KVM won't suffer from neglect and being a one-off.  It's too mainstream and will grow to be the only cross-platform hypervisor.  Like operating systems which have fundamentally become open and closed -- Linux and Windows -- hypervisors will go the same right.  The only question is who wins the closed hypervisor role, VMWare or Hyper-V.

• HajoEhlers
      HajoEhlers
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-08-11T16:30:37Z  in response to jscheel

Hi Jeff,

even that i am working so long with GPFS it is  hard for me to explain the benefits of a cluster fs in a few words except: If you ever use a cluster fs like GPFS you do not want to use a local fs anymore. (*)

>you or a benefit it provided?

- Diskless KVM Host , SAN attached KVM hosts or KVM on a shared nothing cluster or any combination of it.

-  VMs can access the Cluster FS natively - thus even no images any more.

- Easy fail over or live migration (not tested)

- Remote cluster mount possiblity -> easy backup ( TSM sales people do not like me ;-)

In a simple way you can see a cluster fs as a pNFS environment.

hth

Hajo

(*) In this context the development of btrfs is a dead end. Better would be a multi cluster CEPH

• benatnordisk
    benatnordisk
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2015-01-16T01:10:02Z  in response to HajoEhlers

These are some good points.

I was approaching this like it was a VMware box, and wired up some FC and presented a SAN LUN to it planning to use it like a datastore, only to find that it's not that simple. 

What is the most common methodology of providing storage to PowerKVM for use by guests?  Just have a bunch of local disk?  Or use Linux LVM on the SAN LUNs?  What about planning for live migration?

Thanks!

• benatnordisk
      benatnordisk
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2015-01-20T00:32:53Z  in response to benatnordisk

For now, I just created a LVM pool on /dev/mpatha, which is the SAN LUN.