• Latest Post - ‏2013-08-28T17:20:18Z by ellisdp
ellisdp
ellisdp
3 Posts

Pinned topic ICA Studio Annotations and CAS2JDBC

‏2013-08-09T15:59:36Z |

Hi,

ICA 3.0 with FP2.

We have developed some language rules and tested these in ICA Studio, using a combination of dictionaries and parsing rules.

Now trying to use this annotator in an ICA 3.0 collection, and generate database entries from them using CAS2JDBC.

I have created the cas2jdbc.xml mapping file and tested this successfully, and got some entries into the database.

The process nearly works, however I have a problem.

If I use the integrated deployment option from ICA Studio directly into the ICA collection, the annotator gets installed with a special CAS view of "lrw-view". Then, when documents are parsed, no database entries are generated. I found this old forum post:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014725378

which says that the special CAS view causes this problem, and should be cleared to allow the CAS2JDBC to work. I tried this, removing the "lrw-view", saving settings, re-parsing the documents, and database entries are then generated.

However, in this case, the full set of annotations is not correctly produced from the annotator. I verified this by exporting the CAS for the analyzed documents. Only a subset of annotations is produced. It appears that those which are generated from dictionaries or character rules still come through, but those which are produced by parsing rules are not generated.

If I put back the "lrw-view" and re-parse the documents, the full set of annotations is then present in the exported CAS, however no database entries are produced.

So far, I have been unable to have the full set of annotations produced AND get the database mapping to work at the same time.

Thanks.

Attachments

Updated on 2013-08-10T10:21:12Z at 2013-08-10T10:21:12Z by ellisdp
  • ellisdp
    ellisdp
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ICA Studio Annotations and CAS2JDBC

‏2013-08-28T17:20:18Z  

We logged a PMR for this.

It turns out that using CAS2JDBC is not compatible with the annotations generated by ICA Studio. As we found, the rules don't run properly.

The suggested workaround was to build a custom annotator in Java, to read the annotations and generate database entries, and to incorporate this into the ICA Studio annotator before export to ICA. We did this and it worked.

• ellisdp
    ellisdp
    3 Posts

Re: ICA Studio Annotations and CAS2JDBC

‏2013-08-28T17:20:18Z  

We logged a PMR for this.

It turns out that using CAS2JDBC is not compatible with the annotations generated by ICA Studio. As we found, the rules don't run properly.

The suggested workaround was to build a custom annotator in Java, to read the annotations and generate database entries, and to incorporate this into the ICA Studio annotator before export to ICA. We did this and it worked.