Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-09-03T21:05:44Z by DanieleVistalli
DanieleVistalli
DanieleVistalli
11 Posts

Pinned topic Accelerating portlet development - Regen models withotu Logout / Login

‏2014-08-28T13:01:25Z |

We're working on a quite large project (many portlets) and I'm spending a lot of time when I change a portlet to get the new version in the portal.

Tipically when I change something in a published portlet (a WEF project published to a development / integrtion server) I need to:

- Logout from the portal

- Login to the portal

- Navigate to the page with the portlet

- Test

Is there an API or anything else I can use to force the WebApp model to be reloaded while "inside" the portal ?

I can create a new specific "invalidator/refrehs" portlet and place it in my portal as long as it allows me to get this results.

Any idea ? Is there something I could use but I don't know about ?

Thanks in advance.

• kcibmer
    kcibmer
    73 Posts

Re: Accelerating portlet development - Regen models withotu Logout / Login

‏2014-09-02T18:26:51Z  

Of course, you can always do iterative testing as a standalone app...so if you're tweaking the UI then that's a good option.  When developing portlets, however, there comes a time when you need to be in Portal.

What version of Portal are you using?  Depending on the version, the following URL may help:

http://<your portal server>:<your port>/wps/portal/cxml/04_SD9ePMtCP1I800I_KydQvyHFUBADPmuQy?userid=<your userid>&password=<your password>

This logs you in using the same authentication mechanism used by the Login portlet -- so you are not bypassing any security.  In WebSphere Portal v7, it would log you in again and give you a new session.  In Portal v8, it would sort of do this; I think it would give you a new LTPAToken2 cookie but keep the old JSESSIONID cookie; there was a setting which could force both (let me know if you are using Portal v8 and I'll look it up).

In Portal v8.5, that setting no longer works, so I have to click the logout button in Portal, then this link in my bookmarks to log me back in.  Still, it's better than using the login portlet every time.

• DanieleVistalli
    DanieleVistalli
    11 Posts

Re: Accelerating portlet development - Regen models withotu Logout / Login

‏2014-09-03T21:05:44Z  
    • kcibmer
    • ‏2014-09-02T18:26:51Z

Of course, you can always do iterative testing as a standalone app...so if you're tweaking the UI then that's a good option.  When developing portlets, however, there comes a time when you need to be in Portal.

What version of Portal are you using?  Depending on the version, the following URL may help:

http://<your portal server>:<your port>/wps/portal/cxml/04_SD9ePMtCP1I800I_KydQvyHFUBADPmuQy?userid=<your userid>&password=<your password>

This logs you in using the same authentication mechanism used by the Login portlet -- so you are not bypassing any security.  In WebSphere Portal v7, it would log you in again and give you a new session.  In Portal v8, it would sort of do this; I think it would give you a new LTPAToken2 cookie but keep the old JSESSIONID cookie; there was a setting which could force both (let me know if you are using Portal v8 and I'll look it up).

In Portal v8.5, that setting no longer works, so I have to click the logout button in Portal, then this link in my bookmarks to log me back in.  Still, it's better than using the login portlet every time.

That's something I was thinking of but I think there's something better (cleaning the model cache).

I'll try to make a model/portlet about this and see what happens there.

If I can get it to work I'll share it here.