5 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-02-18T17:08:00Z by GaneshSubramaniam
Daniel051
Daniel051
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unable to install IBM DB2 on Amazon EC2

‏2013-10-21T08:06:09Z |

Hi all,

I am unable to install the IBM DB2 server on my EC2 instances with Windows server 2008 R2 Datacentar. I can't install any 64bit version of IBM DB2 (Enterprise Server Edition 10.1, Express C-edition...) either with IBM Installation Manager or with regular installation. 

Error I get after extracting files and just before installation should start:

"Error during "install" phase"

java.lang.NullPointerException

com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.fileUtils.FileUtils.containsPattern(FileUtils.java:123)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.fileUtils.CopyInstallOperation.doPerform(CopyInstallOperation.java:52)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.AbstractInstallOperation.perform(AbstractInstallOperation.java:126)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.processCommonPerformOperation(ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.java:526)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.adapters.nativeAdapter.NativeInstallAdapter.customOperation(NativeInstallAdapter.java:92)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.PerformInstallOperation.doPerform(PerformInstallOperation.java:58)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.AbstractInstallOperation.perform(AbstractInstallOperation.java:126)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.InstallTransaction.performOperation(InstallTransaction.java:76)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.InstallContext.performOperationReturnStatus(InstallContext.java:552)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.handlePerformOperation(ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.java:403)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.processCommonOperation(ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.java:440)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.adapters.nativeAdapter.NativeInstallAdapter.dispatcher(NativeInstallAdapter.java:70)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.performMain(ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.java:284)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.performOtherPhase(ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.java:130)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.commonNativeInstallAdapter.ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.perform(ICommonNativeInstallAdapter.java:102)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.adapters.nativeAdapter.NativeInstallAdapter.install(NativeInstallAdapter.java:51)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.SafeInstallAdaptorWrapper.install(SafeInstallAdaptorWrapper.java:88)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Engine$Phase$Install.performIU(Engine.java:619)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Engine$Phase$IUPhase$IUPhaseSubOperation.perform(Engine.java:479)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.InstallTransaction.performOperation(InstallTransaction.java:76)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Engine$Phase$IUPhase.doPerform(Engine.java:379)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Engine$Phase.perform(Engine.java:316)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Engine$Phase$Install.perform(Engine.java:1)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.InstallTransaction.performOperations(InstallTransaction.java:119)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Engine$Phase.perform(Engine.java:265)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Engine.install(Engine.java:90)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.InstallOrderManager$EngineInstallOperation.perform(InstallOrderManager.java:558)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.InstallTransaction.performOperations(InstallTransaction.java:119)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.Director.performEngineOperations(Director.java:1680)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.Director.doInstall(Director.java:1038)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.Director.doInstall(Director.java:960)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.Director.install(Director.java:631)
com.ibm.cic.agent.core.Agent.install(Agent.java:1752)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.ui.wizards.InstallWizard.performTask(InstallWizard.java:337)
com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.ui.wizards.AgentUIWizard$2.run(AgentUIWizard.java:533)
com.ibm.cic.common.ui.internal.parts.ProgressPart$ProgressJob.run(ProgressPart.java:105)
org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)

Same error I got when I want to install IBM MDM 11. Is anyone familiar with this kind of problem?

Thanks

Daniel

• mor
    mor
    442 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to install IBM DB2 on Amazon EC2

‏2013-10-21T15:19:19Z  in response to Daniel051

Which AMI are you using?  I think IBM has some preconfigured AMIs for DB2 in ec2.

Did you try tracing the setup.exe and examining the trace file to see if it gives any clues about the context ?

Example:   setup.exe -l C:\tmp\install.log -t C:\tmp\install.trc

• Daniel051
      Daniel051
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-22T08:47:00Z  in response to mor
      Hi mor,
      I'm not using AMI. There is no DB2 AMI for EC2 Windows (only linux distributions). So, I run IBM DB2 Express-C_V10.5_win64 and installation failed. In attach are two log files I got.

Attachments

• mor
    mor
    442 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-22T09:28:46Z  in response to Daniel051

I do not know if IBM supports 10.5 on a Windows server in EC2. Is there some reason you don't want to use a Linux AMI? (I know which one I prefer!).

But from the log file and trace file you posted, it appears that the problem is connected with the SSH port being in use.

You might want to check if port 22 is already in use on that server before installing db2.(netstat -a | find "22" ).

If port 22 is in use, is it possible to use a non-default port instead, or choose to close the application/service that has this port-22 opened.

I believe the DB2 on Windows will try to install the "IBM SSH server for windows" -and it may be part of this component that is throwing the exception. You might also try if the setup program lets you choose to "not install" this component (IBM SSH Server for Windows), to see if that gets you any further. (You can install this component separately later, if you need it).

• Daniel051
      Daniel051
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-23T09:40:47Z  in response to mor

I managed to install. It wasn't port, it was java. I just needed to change java directory to C:\Java and set java variable. Tnx 

• GaneshSubramaniam
        GaneshSubramaniam
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T17:08:00Z  in response to Daniel051

Daniel,

Did you install set the environment variable JAVA_HOME to point to c:\Java or have you done anything else?

I've run into same issue,

I'm trying to install Db2 on Centos OS.  I've got the same errors.  Any suggestions.?