Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-22T13:16:26Z by OttoDiesel
ChrisGF
ChrisGF
163 Posts

Pinned topic What is missing from the big RFT book?

‏2013-08-19T18:34:13Z |

Hi!

I would like to collect 10 topics or areas of RFT what is not in the "big" RFT book you all know.

Can you give me a suggestions?

Cheers,

Krisz

• BretNxt
    BretNxt
    3 Posts

Re: What is missing from the big RFT book?

‏2013-10-10T14:43:26Z  

What is this "big RFT book" that you are referring to?  I really need to get a hold of one.

Thanks,

Bret

• ChrisGF
    ChrisGF
    163 Posts

‏2013-10-10T16:26:28Z  
    • BretNxt
    • ‏2013-10-10T14:43:26Z

What is this "big RFT book" that you are referring to?  I really need to get a hold of one.

Thanks,

Bret

Hi Bret,

this is it:

http://www.amazon.de/Software-Engineering-Rational-Functional-Tester/dp/0137000669

cheers,

Krisz

• BretNxt
    BretNxt
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-10T18:43:29Z  
    • ChrisGF
    • ‏2013-10-10T16:26:28Z

Thanks Krisz!   Do you recommend the book?

Much appreciated,

Bret

• Stonger
    Stonger
    33 Posts

‏2013-10-10T18:51:16Z  
    • BretNxt
    • ‏2013-10-10T18:43:29Z

Thanks Krisz!   Do you recommend the book?

Much appreciated,

Bret

It is a pretty handy book to have, especially for beginners.  But I think I've learned more just looking up the online API reference.

• ChrisGF
    ChrisGF
    163 Posts

‏2013-10-11T06:45:18Z  
    • Stonger
    • ‏2013-10-10T18:51:16Z

It is a pretty handy book to have, especially for beginners.  But I think I've learned more just looking up the online API reference.

I agree!

• OttoDiesel
    OttoDiesel
    51 Posts

‏2013-10-11T06:54:50Z  
    • BretNxt
    • ‏2013-10-10T14:43:26Z

Thanks,

Bret

I think that book might be a bit outdated. 4 years are a very long time in software industry. It is even 5 years old if you consider that a book is outdated by 1 year when it is printed.

But IBM Rational did not improve RFT very much since then, so it might not be so outdated as it seems.

A new edition of that book would be good, but as it seems, IBM Rational does not invest very much on this.

• BretNxt
    BretNxt
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-16T14:14:55Z  

I think that book might be a bit outdated. 4 years are a very long time in software industry. It is even 5 years old if you consider that a book is outdated by 1 year when it is printed.

But IBM Rational did not improve RFT very much since then, so it might not be so outdated as it seems.

A new edition of that book would be good, but as it seems, IBM Rational does not invest very much on this.

Thanks OttoDiesel,  

I guess it can't hurt to purchase.  I was big into Robot for many years, but RFT seems to be a different beast.  The concepts seem the same for capture, playback, debug (to a degree), etc.  Lots of new stuff, obviously that wasn't part of Robot.  Just need to get back to the point where I am able to create variable playback scripts (plus become much more proficient in OOP in general), and get to a point of manipulating VP file values based on certain values either passed by the AUT or entered into a pilot file.  It was good stuff.

Hopefully the book covers some of that.

Thanks again,

Bret

• OttoDiesel
    OttoDiesel
    51 Posts

‏2013-10-22T08:11:32Z  
    • BretNxt
    • ‏2013-10-16T14:14:55Z

Thanks OttoDiesel,  

I guess it can't hurt to purchase.  I was big into Robot for many years, but RFT seems to be a different beast.  The concepts seem the same for capture, playback, debug (to a degree), etc.  Lots of new stuff, obviously that wasn't part of Robot.  Just need to get back to the point where I am able to create variable playback scripts (plus become much more proficient in OOP in general), and get to a point of manipulating VP file values based on certain values either passed by the AUT or entered into a pilot file.  It was good stuff.

Hopefully the book covers some of that.

Thanks again,

Bret

There are also technical libraries online. They contain articles on specific topics. I think a lot of these articles are not covered by the book.

Here is an article for example:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/simplify-gui-test-automation-using-a-design-pattern/index.html

• ChrisGF
    ChrisGF
    163 Posts

‏2013-10-22T08:35:44Z  

There are also technical libraries online. They contain articles on specific topics. I think a lot of these articles are not covered by the book.

Here is an article for example:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/simplify-gui-test-automation-using-a-design-pattern/index.html

yes! For example I found here a great article about how to read a pdf files. It was really useful and I use it ever since.

Maybe to compose a new book makes no sence since the forum and the library is enough help. Altough it is not so easy to find the answers even if you search. But possibly this is the best way.

• OttoDiesel
    OttoDiesel
    51 Posts

‏2013-10-22T13:16:26Z  
    • ChrisGF
    • ‏2013-10-22T08:35:44Z

yes! For example I found here a great article about how to read a pdf files. It was really useful and I use it ever since.

Maybe to compose a new book makes no sence since the forum and the library is enough help. Altough it is not so easy to find the answers even if you search. But possibly this is the best way.

I tried to point you and other people to helpful information. No reason to be sarcastical.

It makes no sense for me if a vendor composes books every 3 years or so. I rather rely on more recent online information if this is the case.

Updated on 2013-10-22T13:16:52Z at 2013-10-22T13:16:52Z by OttoDiesel