• Latest Post - ‏2014-01-14T01:18:36Z by Bzoo
Bzoo
Bzoo
71 Posts

Pinned topic How to restore the deleted test database

‏2014-01-07T03:07:44Z |

All:

CQ Windows 7 Client 7.1.2.08

The product  database (PRD) is at version 23 and test dataabse (TST) at 23.
I had my schema checked out  and I was working towards version 24 and 
the test database (TST) was at 24.

When I tried to undo my checkout, the tool said that I have to delete the associated databases.
So, I deleted the (TST) database by invoking the Remove option (right hand button menu). I thought that only the link is gone.
But, it looks like the database TST is gone. I was able to undo the checkout and the PRD is at 23 (as I wanted).
But, I could not see the TST databbse in the list. Is there any way to get it back and 
associate with (PRD) database.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Bzoo

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to restore the deleted test database

‏2014-01-07T03:34:04Z  

You need to abandon this idea. It does not matter whether or not the physical database of TST still exists. This TST database is associated with a schema version unknown to the schema repository (the master database). So even you know the connection information of the TST database, there is no way you can link it back to the schema repository.

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-09T02:30:42Z  
    • Bzoo
    • ‏2014-01-09T01:22:38Z

Hi DonaldN:

Thanks for your response.

So, You mean to say that whenever you undo a checkout, you have to trash the test database?

Thanks,

Bzoo

This is unfortunately true. "Undo checkout" basically means rollback. While it is easy to roll back the schema version (effectively delete the current checked-out version), it is almost impossible to roll back the data (more so the data structure) in the test database.

If you can somehow manually "reset" everything in the current checked-out schema version, you can check in this version with no changes, so as to keep the test database. But you may not want to take the potential risks.

• Bzoo
    Bzoo
    71 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-14T01:18:36Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2014-01-13T23:08:04Z

It depends on the meaning of "duplicate".

If you have a copy of _both_ the schema repository (master) and the "PRD" (user) databases, i.e. the testing environment is completely separate from the production environment, then yes, you can do that (by following the technote). There is no need to change the user database name from "PRD" to "TST" in the testing environment. After the schema development, you need to use "cqload exportintegration" and "cqload importintegration" commands to transfer the new schema versions from the testing (development) environment to the production environment.

In the case of a separate development/testing environment, you need to have a way to record the corresponding schema version in all environments since it will not be the same. You will understand this once you use the "cqload exportintegration" and "cqload importintegration" commands.

If you think of only replicating the "PRD", changing its name to "TST" and linking it back to the original schema repository, then it is a big no no. It is likely that you will do more harm than good in this scenario.

If you are not sure, always back up _all_ ClearQuest databases before doing anything against them.

Hi Donald:

Thanks a lot for explaining this separate testing environment notion.

Regards

Bzoo

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    279 Posts

‏2014-01-07T03:34:04Z  

You need to abandon this idea. It does not matter whether or not the physical database of TST still exists. This TST database is associated with a schema version unknown to the schema repository (the master database). So even you know the connection information of the TST database, there is no way you can link it back to the schema repository.

• Bzoo
    Bzoo
    71 Posts

‏2014-01-09T01:22:38Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2014-01-07T03:34:04Z

Hi DonaldN:

So, You mean to say that whenever you undo a checkout, you have to trash the test database?

Thanks,

Bzoo

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    279 Posts

‏2014-01-09T02:30:42Z  
    • Bzoo
    • ‏2014-01-09T01:22:38Z

Hi DonaldN:

Thanks,

Bzoo

This is unfortunately true. "Undo checkout" basically means rollback. While it is easy to roll back the schema version (effectively delete the current checked-out version), it is almost impossible to roll back the data (more so the data structure) in the test database.

If you can somehow manually "reset" everything in the current checked-out schema version, you can check in this version with no changes, so as to keep the test database. But you may not want to take the potential risks.

• Bzoo
    Bzoo
    71 Posts

‏2014-01-09T02:50:43Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2014-01-09T02:30:42Z

Hi DonadN:

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Bzoo

• Bzoo
    Bzoo
    71 Posts

‏2014-01-13T15:01:06Z  
    • Bzoo
    • ‏2014-01-09T02:50:43Z

Hi DonadN:

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Bzoo

Hi Donald:

Instead of restoring the deleted test databse, 

Can I use a  duplicate of  "PRD" as test database.

I saw the  following IBM link that describes the process of

using the dupliacte of  "PRD"  as the test database.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21120043

I also read in one of the former email threads that using the duplicate  of "PRD" as a test database

will not work since the "dbid" of  PRD cannot be repeated in "TST" database.

Could you please advise me on this.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Bzoo

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    279 Posts

‏2014-01-13T23:08:04Z  
    • Bzoo
    • ‏2014-01-13T15:01:06Z

Hi Donald:

Instead of restoring the deleted test databse, 

Can I use a  duplicate of  "PRD" as test database.

I saw the  following IBM link that describes the process of

using the dupliacte of  "PRD"  as the test database.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21120043

I also read in one of the former email threads that using the duplicate  of "PRD" as a test database

will not work since the "dbid" of  PRD cannot be repeated in "TST" database.

Could you please advise me on this.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Bzoo

If you have a copy of _both_ the schema repository (master) and the "PRD" (user) databases, i.e. the testing environment is completely separate from the production environment, then yes, you can do that (by following the technote). There is no need to change the user database name from "PRD" to "TST" in the testing environment. After the schema development, you need to use "cqload exportintegration" and "cqload importintegration" commands to transfer the new schema versions from the testing (development) environment to the production environment.

In the case of a separate development/testing environment, you need to have a way to record the corresponding schema version in all environments since it will not be the same. You will understand this once you use the "cqload exportintegration" and "cqload importintegration" commands.

If you think of only replicating the "PRD", changing its name to "TST" and linking it back to the original schema repository, then it is a big no no. It is likely that you will do more harm than good in this scenario.

If you are not sure, always back up _all_ ClearQuest databases before doing anything against them.

• Bzoo
    Bzoo
    71 Posts

‏2014-01-14T01:18:36Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2014-01-13T23:08:04Z

Hi Donald:

Thanks a lot for explaining this separate testing environment notion.

Regards

Bzoo