Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-29T23:15:12Z by AL1224
DarrelF
DarrelF
3 Posts

Pinned topic RFT not recognizing scripts

‏2013-09-18T14:49:41Z |

We're seeing a peculiar problem with RFT/Harvest that  I was wondering if anyone who has ever encountered this might be able to offer some insight.

Here's the scenario:

Person A creates a new RFT script and commits it to Harvest.

Person B updates and pulls down the new file.

Person B's RFT sees that file as straight Java code, while Person A's RFT sees it as an RFT script.

That works in reverse, too.  Person B creates a file, but Person A effectively can't run it.  If person A modifies person B's file and commits it, person B's RFT will then not see the same file as a script anymore.

The icons for the files in the Script Explorer differ, good being a script icon and bad being a Java icon.

It seems like it might not be committing dependencies to the repository… so if RFT can't resolve the Helper class that goes along with a script, it might not be realizing it's an RFT script.  I notice it's also not pulling any test objects when checking out a file.

It seems like an RFT environmental issue with it not recognizing the difference between a file that's plain Java code and RFT-generated Java code.  When opening one of the files with a "J" icon, RFT displays a message in the Script Explorer stating the "Funtional Test Script Editor is not active."  When a file with the "script" icon is open, the helper class, datapool, verification points, and test objects folders are displayed.

I've looked around on this and other message forums and see a few folks that have reported a similar problem, but no one ever responds with a solution.

If anyone has any insight to offer, please respond!  Thanks in advance!

• DarrelF
    DarrelF
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RFT not recognizing scripts

‏2013-09-18T16:16:14Z  

This is apparently caused by committing at the file level, rather than committing the entire project at once.

• DarrelF
    DarrelF
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-18T16:16:14Z  

This is apparently caused by committing at the file level, rather than committing the entire project at once.

• cagin.uludamar
    cagin.uludamar
    66 Posts

‏2013-09-25T08:29:26Z  

Hi,

This is the first time that I've heard about Harvest. It went to its website, and AFAIU it is a time tracking tool. And I think you can commit files together with time entries.

Problem here is, a simple script in RFT environment is actually a bunch of related files in separate directories. To see them, create a new project and a script from scratch and inspect files created. So if you want to "commit" a script, you should consider its supporting files and the directory structure.

AFAIK, ClearCase is the only source control mgmt system supported by RFT.

• DarrelF
    DarrelF
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-29T14:08:13Z  

Hi,

This is the first time that I've heard about Harvest. It went to its website, and AFAIU it is a time tracking tool. And I think you can commit files together with time entries.

Problem here is, a simple script in RFT environment is actually a bunch of related files in separate directories. To see them, create a new project and a script from scratch and inspect files created. So if you want to "commit" a script, you should consider its supporting files and the directory structure.

AFAIK, ClearCase is the only source control mgmt system supported by RFT.

Harvest, otherwise known as Software Change Manager by Computer Associates is the tool I'm referencing.  There's an RFT plugin that integrates it in to the Eclipse interface.  

• AL1224
    AL1224
    31 Posts

‏2013-10-29T23:15:12Z  
    • DarrelF
    • ‏2013-10-29T14:08:13Z

Harvest, otherwise known as Software Change Manager by Computer Associates is the tool I'm referencing.  There's an RFT plugin that integrates it in to the Eclipse interface.  

Hello,

One of the knowing reasons why RFT default script icon may change to "J" icon, because when the script can't find the dependencies, it shows as a java file type. The dependencies are: object map, VP, script helper…

I don't have much experience with RFT/Harvest plug-in, but in case of ClearCase when user selects the script to check out, ClearCase will check out all dependencies. Usually the user will check the ClearCase to see whenother users check out the script, are these dependencies checked out or not. Also, it may help to try Team->Add to Source Control... then Disconnect/Reconnect your test project and see if it helps.