Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-24T16:17:02Z by table83
table83
table83
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unable to start Virtual Pattern Kit on ESXi 5.1

‏2013-10-20T19:09:36Z |

Following demo and guide, I could not start VPKFD.

During boot the VM freeze and I have to reboot the ESXi server :(

I cannot even stop it.

I got no error on screen, but only the progress bar that stop. 

Our ESXi server have following hardware:

Dell R520

2x Xeon E5-2420

32GB RAM

4 SAS 15k disk RAID 5

Please help!

• binnes
    binnes
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to start Virtual Pattern Kit on ESXi 5.1

‏2013-10-21T12:55:11Z  in response to table83

Hello,

Can you please provide a little more information at what stage of the boot the system freezes - can you provide a screenshot of the console?

When you say VM freezes, is this during the very first boot - are there any messages in the console window, is there any activity on the VM (CPU utilisation, IO activity)?  

Please be aware that on first boot there is a long delay (whilst the appliance is initialised - there are no console messages during the initialisation, but there will be activity you can see in the ESX monitor.  You need to let this initialisation run to completion, if you stop or interrupt it you may have a corrupt appliance, so need to start by importing the 2 disk images again.

Regards

• table83
      table83
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-21T13:07:26Z  in response to binnes

Hi,

thank you for your reply

the console is completely black, I've started VM about 9 hours ago, and the VM still not responding and I got "Unable to connect to the MKS: Error connecting to /bin/vmx process error on top of the console.

I attach also graphical stats about that VM (4 vCPU, 16 GB RAM).

Actual memory usage is about 0 MB.

This is the first boot, but on my laptop with single SSD, core i5 and vmware Workstation 9 the VM start in 5 minutes for first time.  On the server there are these problems.....

EDIT: I attach also vmware.log file, it seems there is a DMA problem, why?

Attachments

Updated on 2013-10-21T13:18:05Z at 2013-10-21T13:18:05Z by table83
  • binnes
    binnes
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-21T14:55:28Z  in response to table83

Hello,

This sounds like a problem with the underlying ESXi infrastructure.  If you have imported the VMDK files and followed the instructions you should see a few console messages appear - they the image will perform the initialisation work on first boot - you should see high CPU utilisation and I/O.  After that you will be able to log in via web browser.

It looks like you are not able to boot the image if you are seeing no console output.  If you cannot launch the console there may be a problem with the underlying VMWare infrastructure.

Regards,

• table83
      table83
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-24T16:17:02Z  in response to binnes

Hi All,

I've solved upgrading to ESXi 5.1 update 1.

Now it works like a charm