Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-09T11:03:53Z by Bob_Swan
llandale
llandale
3005 Posts

Pinned topic Forum Bytes and other Complaints

‏2013-06-19T16:22:39Z |

The other thread is pretty full so I thought I'd start another where folks can complain ..err.. offer constructive criticisms about the new forums.

• PRM
    PRM
    33 Posts

Re: Forum Bytes and other Complaints

‏2013-06-19T22:33:21Z  

In my profile I have set my Display Name = Paul Miller, but when I reply to posts my display name is displayed as PRM - what gives here, is it yet another defect, and is there a way that I can change it?

• wernerK
    wernerK
    9 Posts

‏2013-06-20T03:40:52Z  
    • PRM
    • ‏2013-06-19T22:33:21Z

In my profile I have set my Display Name = Paul Miller, but when I reply to posts my display name is displayed as PRM - what gives here, is it yet another defect, and is there a way that I can change it?

I have a couple  - but one of the top annoying thing is that I have to login 'every time' , even though I keep on pressing the little checkbox saying to keep the entries via cookies - hmm, the cookie crumbles -  tried several browsers, still to no avail - why give the choice to "remember" settings if it does not work??  :(

Also, I have got this invite today - may be this is the place to attend ? 

here is the email invite - I am going to see when this actually is - as in "daytime" for Australia? - I doubt it -

anyways - here it goes - 

cheers, Werner -

I am not sure as per Paul's entry what now appears on the end of the message here 

- it should just have the IBM signature there - as in  "The IBM developerWorks team"

-----

Hello,                          

IBM developerWorks, a leading resource for developers and IT professionals, wants to hear from you how we can be the most useful and usable online experience to the developer community.

We invite you to participate in the online developerWorks LIVE! Jam to give us your ideas and thoughts on how you prefer to learn technical skills, share your expertise, and build your online reputation. We want to understand your preferences and how we can improve the overall developerWorks experience.

Some of the ideas people are commenting and voting on include:

• How can social media help you get the most out of developerWorks?
    • How do you want to be informed when new content is available on your favorite topic?
    • Should learning be one way, two way, or in circles?

Register for the developerWorks IdeaJam and join the conversation, at dwlive.ideajam.net.

The dwLive! IdeaJam is running through June 28.  The sooner you join the more you can share -- and learn.

See you there!

Sincerely,

The IBM developerWorks team

-----------

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    25 Posts

‏2013-06-20T09:05:42Z  
    • wernerK
    • ‏2013-06-20T03:40:52Z

I have a couple  - but one of the top annoying thing is that I have to login 'every time' , even though I keep on pressing the little checkbox saying to keep the entries via cookies - hmm, the cookie crumbles -  tried several browsers, still to no avail - why give the choice to "remember" settings if it does not work??  :(

here is the email invite - I am going to see when this actually is - as in "daytime" for Australia? - I doubt it -

anyways - here it goes - 

cheers, Werner -

I am not sure as per Paul's entry what now appears on the end of the message here 

- it should just have the IBM signature there - as in  "The IBM developerWorks team"

-----

Hello,                          

IBM developerWorks, a leading resource for developers and IT professionals, wants to hear from you how we can be the most useful and usable online experience to the developer community.

We invite you to participate in the online developerWorks LIVE! Jam to give us your ideas and thoughts on how you prefer to learn technical skills, share your expertise, and build your online reputation. We want to understand your preferences and how we can improve the overall developerWorks experience.

• How do you want to be informed when new content is available on your favorite topic?

Register for the developerWorks IdeaJam and join the conversation, at dwlive.ideajam.net.

The dwLive! IdeaJam is running through June 28.  The sooner you join the more you can share -- and learn.

See you there!

Sincerely,

-----------

That link to the IdeaJam didn't work, try this one https://dwlive.ideajam.net

It is an asynchronous event, so is active daytime the world over :-)

Hazel

• Tony_Goodman
    Tony_Goodman
    270 Posts

‏2013-06-20T14:25:53Z  

I am using chrome and all the posts appear justified centered, so pretty much unreadable. Anyone else experience this?

• PRM
    PRM
    33 Posts

‏2013-06-20T22:48:58Z  

I am using chrome and all the posts appear justified centered, so pretty much unreadable. Anyone else experience this?

Hi Tony,

I'm using Chrome Version 27.0.1453.116, text justification is OK in this version

Paul Miller
    Melbourne, Australia

• Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    57 Posts

‏2013-06-27T09:17:09Z  
    • wernerK
    • ‏2013-06-20T03:40:52Z

anyways - here it goes - 

cheers, Werner -

-----

Hello,                          

See you there!

Sincerely,

-----------

Just discovered the presence/ absence of the Developer works search box depends on the size of your browser window (using IE8 here). If its not full screen it disappears. However, if I maximize the browser window it appears and works fine. What should happen is that the scroll bars appear at the bottom of the window and you retain the ability to scroll to the search box. Weird!

• sekrbo
    sekrbo
    41 Posts

‏2013-06-27T12:41:31Z  

Besides everything else... two more annoying things that I have noticed

• The bullet and number lists, if they span over more than one row, the bullets are not placed at the begining of the paragraph, which makes it hard to see where the previous bullet ends and the new begins. Also there seems to be a numbering issue, have seen more than one numbered list with the number 1 for each new paragraph... Guess that could be users not doing something right - but then I guess it's too hard to do...
    • I miss the "back to the forum" button at the top and bottom of the thread. NOw you have to scroll all the way back up to click on the link to the forum "Forum Directory >‎ dW >‎ Rational >‎ Rational DOORS DXL >‎ Forum Bytes and other Complaints". Or you click the browsers "back" button. However, that always takes you to the first page. Me, I sometimes go several days without coming here, and there may be several pages of interesting stuff to look at, which makes it a hassle to always click several times where it used to be a single click.

<edit> Ah now I see, the bullet goes at the last row of the paragraph... Interesting feature - I wonder what the excuse for that is :)

/sekrbo

Updated on 2013-06-27T12:42:58Z at 2013-06-27T12:42:58Z by sekrbo
  • Adamarla
    Adamarla
    75 Posts

‏2013-07-04T09:25:40Z  

Some improvements!

The old code has been migrated to block quotes with highlighting. The line breaks are still way off...

• Bob_Swan
    Bob_Swan
    33 Posts

‏2013-07-09T10:32:07Z  

Having been away for a while I have to say I don't like the new system.   Trying to login I kept winding up on a top level page, well outside of the forums, and couldn't find a way to them.

Somehow clicked on something different and got in this time.

I'm probably going to hacve trouble with all the facebook linmks as facebook is barred from our system.

Constructive suggestions? Can't think of any specific ones.

• Bob_Swan
    Bob_Swan
    33 Posts

‏2013-07-09T11:03:53Z  
    • Bob_Swan
    • ‏2013-07-09T10:32:07Z

Having been away for a while I have to say I don't like the new system.   Trying to login I kept winding up on a top level page, well outside of the forums, and couldn't find a way to them.

Somehow clicked on something different and got in this time.

I'm probably going to hacve trouble with all the facebook linmks as facebook is barred from our system.

Constructive suggestions? Can't think of any specific ones.

Possible Enhancement:- Don't have the search results page timeout when an item is opened.

Having performed a search, opened an item, decide it's not what I want i want to look at the next, not to have to rerun the search. Repeating the search must be a waste of resources.