Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-06T10:42:43Z by fmcelroy
fmcelroy
fmcelroy
4 Posts

Pinned topic MessageSight Virtual Appliance not detecting a 64 bit processor

‏2013-11-01T07:54:11Z |

I am trying to start the MessageSight Virtual Appliance with VirtualBox on Win 2008 Server but it is showing that it is detecting the processor as i686 instead of x86-64. Any ideas what I need to do to get it to run?

• bakowski
    bakowski
    1 Post

Re: MessageSight Virtual Appliance not detecting a 64 bit processor

‏2013-11-01T15:26:10Z  

Hi there,

Can you confirm that you have enabled virtualization in your BIOS? The way to do this varies from chipset to chipset, so you'll need to refer to your manufacturer's documentation to see if virtualization is supported, and how to enable it.

Second, if your host OS is 32-bit you need to set the guest OS to be 64-bit. For full details:

"This issue came up recently, and I thought this information could be helpful to others. It is possible to run MessageSight virtual appliance on 32-bit host OS, provided that hardware matches our requirements (64-bit CPU with VT-x/AMD-V support). In order for this to work, you need to tell VirtualBox or VMware software that the guest is 64-bit.

This can be done by setting the OS type to any 64-bit operating system that your software supports. For example, for VMware products, in Virtual Machine Settings, select Options tab and in General section set "Guest operating system" to Other, Version: "Other 64-bit". For VirtualBox 4.2.x, in General section of settings on Basic tab, select Type as Linux, Version as "Linux 2.6 (64-bit)". Starting with VirtualBox 4.3, you can select Other/Other 64-bit, same as in VMware products. In general, specifying any 64-bit OS would work. "

Hope this helps!

Ben

• lalonpagla
    lalonpagla
    1 Post

‏2013-11-03T09:03:05Z  
    • bakowski
    • ‏2013-11-01T15:26:10Z

Hi there,

Can you confirm that you have enabled virtualization in your BIOS? The way to do this varies from chipset to chipset, so you'll need to refer to your manufacturer's documentation to see if virtualization is supported, and how to enable it.

Second, if your host OS is 32-bit you need to set the guest OS to be 64-bit. For full details:

"This issue came up recently, and I thought this information could be helpful to others. It is possible to run MessageSight virtual appliance on 32-bit host OS, provided that hardware matches our requirements (64-bit CPU with VT-x/AMD-V support). In order for this to work, you need to tell VirtualBox or VMware software that the guest is 64-bit.

This can be done by setting the OS type to any 64-bit operating system that your software supports. For example, for VMware products, in Virtual Machine Settings, select Options tab and in General section set "Guest operating system" to Other, Version: "Other 64-bit". For VirtualBox 4.2.x, in General section of settings on Basic tab, select Type as Linux, Version as "Linux 2.6 (64-bit)". Starting with VirtualBox 4.3, you can select Other/Other 64-bit, same as in VMware products. In general, specifying any 64-bit OS would work. "

Hope this helps!

Ben

• fmcelroy
    fmcelroy
    4 Posts

‏2013-11-06T10:42:43Z  
    • bakowski
    • ‏2013-11-01T15:26:10Z

Hi there,

Hope this helps!

Ben

Following the instructions - I found I could set an explicit 64 bit OS for my host Virtual Box (running on UBuntu) and MessageSight could be started up. However I have a WIN2008 Server 64 bit guest and wanted to start MessageSight from within there - but in that case the 64 bit OS options are not available. I do recall that the VirtualBox install for Windows does not provide different binaries for 32 / 64 bit so maybe it can't support 64 bit on Win 2008 ?