Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-11-10T15:30:34Z by MohanRS
rashlin
rashlin
3 Posts

Pinned topic while importing from excel - the heading are presented as numbers only

‏2013-10-24T08:11:07Z |

Hi,

While importing from excel using - the heading are presented as numbers only and the text is lost.

I have one column in my excel file called msg which is defined in DOORS as 'Object Heading & Object Text' and the msg contain only strings.

There is another column Hierarchy which i use with the dxl script 'Galactic_Build Hierarchy' to later rebuild the headers Hierarchy.

The problem is that while importing the columns from excel sheet i lose the text in 'msg' column and get only the number headings, i can later do it manually and use 'Galactic_Build Hierarchy' to promote back all objects but it take to long - is there something that I'm missing?

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    26 Posts

Re: while importing from excel - the heading are presented as numbers only

‏2013-10-24T09:23:53Z  

You need one column for Object Heading and a separate column for Object Text, each of those is a separate attribute and should contain the strings.  You may also want an Object Number to give you the hierarchy information.  It is easiest to name the columns in the spreadsheet with the DOORS attribute name.

I assume you have created the spreadsheet with an export from DOORS. To do a clean export you need to delete the main column from your view, and add back in separate columns for Object Heading, Object Text and Object Number.  Also retitle the ID column as Object Identifier if you intend to keep that.

• rashlin
    rashlin
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-24T12:38:18Z  

Thanks for your response, the excel file is a result of an internal python script, its purpose is to synchronize between the internal DB and the module in DOORS, the idea is to make the changes in our interface and than the process will generate the compatible DOORS excel which later will be use for the sync process (using the dxl script "import from excel" and "Galactic_Build Hierarchy" to rebuild the Hierarchy).

So i need to separate the "msg" column into 2 columns  in the excel and than map them into 2 separated columns in DOORS - one defined as Object Heading and one as Object Text? should i put the same string value in both of them?

Thanks again.

• kourosh
    kourosh
    62 Posts

‏2013-10-24T17:20:05Z  
    • rashlin
    • ‏2013-10-24T12:38:18Z

Thanks for your response, the excel file is a result of an internal python script, its purpose is to synchronize between the internal DB and the module in DOORS, the idea is to make the changes in our interface and than the process will generate the compatible DOORS excel which later will be use for the sync process (using the dxl script "import from excel" and "Galactic_Build Hierarchy" to rebuild the Hierarchy).

So i need to separate the "msg" column into 2 columns  in the excel and than map them into 2 separated columns in DOORS - one defined as Object Heading and one as Object Text? should i put the same string value in both of them?

Thanks again.

When you say "I have one column in my excel file called msg which is defined in DOORS as 'Object Heading & Object Text' and the msg contain only strings." we assume that you mean you have both Object Heading values and Object Text values in that 'msg' column. This is why Hazel suggested you make two individual columns in your excel file -- one for Object Heading and one for Object Text. But if all the values in your 'msg' column are only heading values then you only need to rename that column to 'Object Heading' instead of 'msg'

• rashlin
    rashlin
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-27T07:28:20Z  
    • kourosh
    • ‏2013-10-24T17:20:05Z

When you say "I have one column in my excel file called msg which is defined in DOORS as 'Object Heading & Object Text' and the msg contain only strings." we assume that you mean you have both Object Heading values and Object Text values in that 'msg' column. This is why Hazel suggested you make two individual columns in your excel file -- one for Object Heading and one for Object Text. But if all the values in your 'msg' column are only heading values then you only need to rename that column to 'Object Heading' instead of 'msg'

Thanks Hazel and Kourosh changing the name in my excel sheet from "msg" to "Object Heading" did solved my issue, no i can see the Headers correctly.

One small question - i see the headers correctly in the standard View and in the Module explorer but in my custom View the Headers disappear, do i need to change something in the View definition?

Thanks again for all your help.

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    29 Posts

‏2013-10-30T23:11:32Z  
    • rashlin
    • ‏2013-10-27T07:28:20Z

Thanks Hazel and Kourosh changing the name in my excel sheet from "msg" to "Object Heading" did solved my issue, no i can see the Headers correctly.

One small question - i see the headers correctly in the standard View and in the Module explorer but in my custom View the Headers disappear, do i need to change something in the View definition?

Thanks again for all your help.

In your custom view you need to Insert - Column and either:

select Attribute = Object Heading or

select option "Object heading and Object Text"

• MohanRS
    MohanRS
    2 Posts

‏2014-11-10T15:30:34Z  

You need one column for Object Heading and a separate column for Object Text, each of those is a separate attribute and should contain the strings.  You may also want an Object Number to give you the hierarchy information.  It is easiest to name the columns in the spreadsheet with the DOORS attribute name.

I assume you have created the spreadsheet with an export from DOORS. To do a clean export you need to delete the main column from your view, and add back in separate columns for Object Heading, Object Text and Object Number.  Also retitle the ID column as Object Identifier if you intend to keep that.

Hi,

Thanks but i have question in this,

Object Heading and Object Text I created in different column but Both are in same level when you see in modular explorer. 

Is it possible done one level for Object Text.

Thanks in Advance.