8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-08-08T08:00:44Z by Castiel
Castiel
Castiel
19 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Setting BPM on a virtual machine

‏2013-07-22T14:45:09Z |

Hi, folks!

I want to run BPM (WebSphere Application Server + Process Center) on a virtual machine (CentOS system run by VMWare player) which is hosted on Red Hat Linux system. However, I'm struggling with some connectivity issues between Process Designer and the server part (TCP connection for authentication is successfully completed; nevertheless, PD refuses to start a new connection for downloading the first welcomepage of Process Center).

I was wondering what is the proper way to set BPM on a VM machine? Is there any tutorial or documentation? ThanX

• AndrewPaier
    AndrewPaier
    711 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Setting BPM on a virtual machine

‏2013-08-01T00:34:23Z  in response to Castiel

No tutorials, but likely you problem is that you don't have all the proper ports open.  This seems to be a common problem this month.  The answer is likely in this infocenter entry.

Andrew Paier  |  Director  |  BP3 Global, Inc.
    BP3 Global's Website  |  Twitter  |  Linkedin  |  Google+  |  Blogs

• Kiran Venuturumilli
    Kiran Venuturumilli
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-05T14:57:06Z  in response to Castiel

Are you able to ping the guest vm from host with hostname? if not try adding ip and hostname to the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and try to log in to PD. this should work!!

• Castiel
      Castiel
      19 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-06T08:29:18Z  in response to Kiran Venuturumilli

Hi Kiran!

Just to clarify: what exactly do you mean by

Are you able to ping the guest vm from host with hostname?

The VM is inside other Linux machine and you can't access to it without portforwarding. I can set VM's hostname to the public IP of the non-virtual Linux machine (and I already did this many weeks ago without any success). However, I can't see any way to ping the inner VM itself.

• Kiran Venuturumilli
        Kiran Venuturumilli
        8 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-06T16:38:03Z  in response to Castiel

Seems I misread it, I thought this Linux VM is on windows system. Let me explain my situation. I have installed 8.5 on RHEL 6 on Oracle Virtualbox on windows7. VM network adaptor connection was set to bridged instead of NAT and gave static ip to RHEL. edited /etc/host, /etc/sysconfig/network, and /etc/resolv.conf. However, I was able to ping my Linux os from windows with ip address and could not do so with hostname. When I started my PD after the installation, I got an error saying that PD is not able to locate the system with hostname "xxx". so I have added the hostname of my RHEL to the windows hosts file and it started working. hope this helps

• Castiel
          Castiel
          19 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T07:41:12Z  in response to Kiran Venuturumilli

OIC, my bad. The architecture is as follows:

WAS + BPM -> both on CentOs Linux VM -> running (via VMWare player) on RHEL server (with own public IP)

Process Designer should be runnable from remote Windows machine (more people are going to work with it).

There are also other stuff on the server which is why I can't afford to bridge the communication and have to use portforwarding NAT.

I tried setting the Win host file both to VM's hostname and server's hostname. Without any result.

Just to be complete, my error message is

Unable to establish a connection with the Process Center. Please check your connection settings and verify that the server is running.

• AndrewPaier
            AndrewPaier
            711 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T16:34:46Z  in response to Castiel

Hmmm... So you have a VM that doesn't have its own IP address but is using NAT.  I think this is likely your underlying problem.  When you did the install on the VM what did you use for the host name?  As I mentioned on your other thread you can see this in the TeamworksConfiguration.running.xml file on the server.  I'm suspecting it is using something that doesn't resolve.

Andrew Paier  |  Director  |  BP3 Global, Inc.
            BP3 Global's Website  |  Twitter  |  Linkedin  |  Google+  |  Blogs

• Castiel
              Castiel
              19 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-08T08:00:44Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Okay, according to putty's ssh access: my hostname is vanihost, my hostname --fqdn is also vanihost.

As4 TeamworksConfiguration.running.xml: I'm not sure which attribute to look for.

But I guess you are right with the name-resolving thing since I already managed to authenticate and log in - thus, practically solving this problem. This post (from a different forum) helped me:

Re: BPM 8.5 AE Log-in Issue

Aug 1  in response to LUCAS A. SHOWERMAN

Just out of curiosity:

how did you install that server ?  If you were using BPMCOnfig command, did you see the comment in the f config file,
              stating:

##############################
              # Properties for each node   #
              ##############################
              bpm.de.node.1.name=Node1

# If the hostname is the same as deployment manager, this node will be created on the same computer.
              Do not use localhost for environments that are spread across multiple machines.

If you have  used   the string  localhost  then you  might be in trouble just because of this.
              use the DNS name of the machine, or even  use  'blabla' and map this  in /etc.hosts  to 127.0.0.1.

Process Desinger  definetly   will not  work on a remote machine  when  there is localhost in that file  when you install the server.
              although  the eclopse.ini  on PD  will point to the correct server, it will  initially even contact that  Process center.
              It will then  get "the   to be connected" the machine name ( e.g. localhost in that case  ) from
              the process center. Then PD tries to  open the 4  other  ports on ' localhost' - and that fails with   "Could not open communicatoin".

Hence, we changed enodeName in WAS admin console. Now another error occurs (described in this topic: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=888f1923-5764-4786-a56d-498fae5422a0 ). Yet at least we are able to authenticate and log in now. After a month of trials and failures: "Hooray!!" :-)