Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-05T12:30:28Z by MaRaya
MaRaya
MaRaya
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DOORS Export to word with Links(ref to chapter numbers)

‏2013-10-28T12:13:29Z |

Hi All,

so I need to export a module from DOORS to word. The problem is that the links have to be listed too and with reference to the Chapter Number since the Object numbers will not be exported to word. Ideally my team would like to have wordstyle links where a chapter number is given and clicking on it leads to the chapter. I am fairly new to DOORS and don't know if this is even possible. Analysis > Wizard isn't helping coz the links reference the IDs(which we want to avoid) and is wordstyle linking even possible? I may not have been clear in my question. If so, please let me know and I'll try to be clearer.

A completely different question: Is it possible to create XLSM files using DXL? I could do XLS Files but when I try to create xlsm files, the files don't open in Excel at all.

• llandale
    llandale
    2809 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DOORS Export to word with Links(ref to chapter numbers)

‏2013-10-28T17:54:33Z  in response to MaRaya

You probably want .xlsx files unless you figure to create an Excel macro and put that in the file you generate.

I think it would be very difficult for DXL to create an Excel file in .xls format, with or without "m".   You'd need to know far too much about killobytes of that format.   I've never done it, but the following seems reasonably possible to me:

• create a text file in comma separated values format, but give it ".csv" extention.  (or Tab separated values TSV).
    • Invoke Excel and get an OLE handle on it
    • Command Excel to open the file
    • Command Excel to save-as the file in xlsm format to a new file name with .xlsm extention

When displaying info of linked objects it is generally better to create a layout with the wizard and at some point convert it to an attr-DXL; and replace the layout in the view with that attr-DXL.  This drastically improves performance as the Attr-DXL is calculated once while the layout can be calculated whenever the screen changes, sometimes 10 times per second per object.

As for Exporting to Word: generally you make a view that has the information you want to see in Word, then export the view in table format.  Setup is hard, export is trivial.  You can create layouts/attr-DXL to represent what info you want displayed from linked partner objects.  You will likely need to use the Wizard to make a reasonable display about the correcly linked objectts, then edit the generated DXL to display exactly what you want.  If you can deduce the "Chapter" (whatever that is) from that Object, then you can display that. 

If your export view displays some hyperlink then it should export to Word well (I guess).  I don't know how to translate an 'external link' into a hyperlink but surely someone else does; you could put such code in an attr-DXL and display that in your export view.

I would generate an export view with lots of columns, one for each piece of information.  Once that is correct, I'd pretty it up by consolodating columns into a more reasonable concise view.

-Louie

• PRM
    PRM
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T21:25:08Z  in response to MaRaya

Please see my interleaved responses to some of your requests in blue text

The problem is that the links have to be listed too and with reference to the Chapter Number since the Object numbers will not be exported to word. PMIL - Firstly, can I ask why? How will the reader know exactly which paragraph below the heading is linked to the current requirement being read? The attached script provides an example of how the parent heading of an incoming link can be displayed in a DXL Layout column - I used the Analysis Wizard to get started then modified the wizards code to add in a function that displays the heading of the linked object (some credit to Peter Albert for his handy getParentObj function). As recommended by Louie - convert to DXL Attribute once it it suits your needs as I suspect you will want to fine tune (convert via menu Tools>Support Tools>Convert Layout DXL to Attribute DXL).

Ideally my team would like to have wordstyle links where a chapter number is given and clicking on it leads to the chapter. I am fairly new to DOORS and don't know if this is even possible. PMIL - I don't think you can do this from DOORS because MSWord needs bookmark references to be added to each target paragraph to support internal links within the MS Word document. This can only be done after the export - or - you need to write your own exporter that adds the bookmark references and corresponding internal links, it makes my brain hurt thinking about how this would be done!

Paul Miller
    Melbourne Australia

• HazelWoodcock
    HazelWoodcock
    23 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-29T07:50:24Z  in response to MaRaya

You could export to html with links and then insert the html in to Word.  I believe that would give you hyperlinks within the Word document.

• MaRaya
    MaRaya
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-30T06:48:44Z  in response to MaRaya

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try writing a DXL Layout based on the suggestions given and get back here when I have the solution.

• MaRaya
    MaRaya
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-05T12:30:28Z  in response to MaRaya

thanks for the suggestions. found a solution finally.. used savelinks.dxl as basis and twisted it a little so that the Chapter no: and heading(actually Object Number and Object heading in DOORS terms) of the links are displayed..still need to figure out how to open and close modules linked to the current, but i guess I can find a way.